Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 06:03 PM        Daredevil

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 06:12 PM       
That was better than most of the reviews on the movie review site.
Carnivore's angry side!
Malevolent is probably a spambot
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 07:29 PM       
Potential spoilers!

I didn't think it was as good as Spiderman or X-Men, but it was enjoyable. I think Bullseye was the coolest thing about the movie. Colin Farrell was fantastic! Kick-ass villain! Almost as cool as McKellen's Magneto. A bit gratuitous in his killing, perhaps. Ben Affleck was better than I thought he'd be, but Tobey Maguire was a far better Spiderman than Affleck was a Daredevil. Iwas expecting him to suck ass, though. As for Elektra... I was disappointed. She was incredibly hot, but her role was too minor and her downfall too quick and easy. Of course, Bullseye was so badass... but still! Kevin Smith's brief cameo was quite cool, of course.

Not mind-blowingly fantastic, probably will disappoint some hardcore comic fans, but worth seeing.

I definitely hate you.
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 10:21 PM       
Did Bullseye's outfit make everyone else laugh? I mean, a blue/white costume is one thing...but a cheesy 'tattoo' of his namesake on his forehead is quite another.
Carnivore's angry side!
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 11:46 PM       
I didn't find it humorous at all

I definitely hate you.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 01:33 AM       
I have to say, this movie COMPLETELY surpassed my expectations. Not as good as the comic of course, but I'd definintely say it was a good movie. It's no Spider-man, but easily on about the same level as X-Men. I felt that they handled the characters pretty well, and though Elektra's part was small, Jennifer Garner looked PERFECT wielding two sai...she WAS Elektra right then, straight off the page.

The Bullseye forehead tattoo was cheesy as hell, but everything about that character was over the top. Very entertaining performance. For those who haven't seen it yet, stick around through the credits...about halfway through there is a very funny scene involving what happened to Bullseye.

Anyway, it's not a perfect movie by any means, and comic book "purists" who want every singled goddamn thing from the comic represented on screen completely unchanged will be disappointed. But what the hell are those people expecting anyway? If you want a comic, just READ a fucking comic! I say they didn't fuck with Daredevil's characters any more than they did Spider-man's, and that was in my opinion the best comic movie ever made.

In short, I enjoyed it. It was fun, and I'll definitely be buying adding it to my collection when it comes out on DVD.
Carnivore's angry side!
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 02:26 AM       
I hate flies and that made it twice as entertaining!

I definitely hate you.
Space Viking Repo Man
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 02:56 AM       
Hey, I understand why the movie cannot be faithful in all respects to the comic--a movie being much much shorter than a year-long storyline at the very least--but it's hard to ignore when a movie takes so many liberties with material that one will eventually wonder why the movie even bothered to use the property anyway. They could have simply bought the name alone and gone from there.

Not that this applies to the movie Daredevil at all. When I saw Bullseye's design, I just didn't like it. If they can make a Daredevil costume, then a typical Bullseye costume should be just as easy. I felt the movie was taking a liberty about how a villain dressed up in a costume is somehow less threatening than some cheap punked-out Death Wish leftover. It reeks of the Dolph Lundgren Punisher film years ago that didn't include the trademark skull because 'it looked too comic-bookish.' Of course, they could ignore that's why they bought the rights in the first place.

Other than that, I could dig the movie. I'll watch it when I get the cash, even through I'm a bit suspicious why an industry hellbent on putting CGI anywhere they can missed an opportunity to portray the exaggerated bulk of the Kingpin in such a form. Now that would have been impressive!!
The Goddamned Batman
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 10:23 AM       
Actually, in the comics Bullseye has now gotten rid of his costume too. I'm kind of glad for it, his costume was always extremely gay, and as he mentioned in the comics, wearing an outfit that draws a lot of attention to yourself is not exactly smart in his line of work.

And I think the Kingpin was handled perfectly. Michael Clarke Duncan has PLENTY of "exaggerated bulk"!
Carnivore's angry side!
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 02:21 PM       
I absolutely agree. Michael Clarke Duncan was excellent.

I definitely hate you.
Space Viking Repo Man
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 02:25 PM       
The only reason Bullseye got rid of his outfit in the comic is because Marvel is trying to make a semi-serious world into a deadly serious one. The problem with that is if you make a comic book world too serious, then the whole thing is completely pointless. Why would genetic mutants be all thin and beautiful and have useful powers? In reality, such mutants would either be stillborn, mentally retarded, or disfigured.

Suspension of disbelief is a fragile thing. Comics aren't supposed to be serious. If they were, why bother paying $3 per issue for something I could get by just going outside? That's all I'm saying. Not everything is supposed to be serious.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 01:37 PM       
Being serious is one thing. Not being ridiculously stupid is another.

And if you want fucked up ugly mutants who don't all have wonderfully useful powers, check out the current storyline going on in Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men.
Space Viking Repo Man
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 01:57 PM       
Ridiculously stupid? We are talking about a man who fights crime wearing a red leather outfit with horns here. Plus, when Bullseye was in the comics I didn't find him stupid because of his outfit, I saw him as a bad guy. Plain and simple. Plus, he could pull it off....if anybody laughed, they'd be picking various throwing weapons out of their corpse.

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:35 PM       
but I fight crime in a red leather outfit with horns.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 05:40 AM       
!!!

I think the Kingpin in his comic book-mass would've been an eyesore. It's funny how you can get used to that big a guy in comics, but really, if you saw him CGI-style among actual actors, I think it'd be distracting from the plot.

NONBonham is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 09:15 PM       
i'm sure they didn't want the kingpin to be outrageously big, because then the movie would be more slapsticky and childish, which would ruin daredevil's dark comic feel. overall i think the movie did the comic justice. afflack was the bomb, as always. [/i]
The Goddamned Batman
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 09:33 PM       
I can't read your posts, so I don't.

Location: Location: Location: Location:Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Cybernetico is probably a spambot
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 02:48 AM       
I hear something about kingpin being in that movie, and how kingpin is black or something. That's just wrong. Or s that that series that they advertised at the superbowl. Life is getting all twisted, I'll probobly wake up not knowing how to tie my shoes or make fun of you guys some more

AlienGremlin is probably a spambot
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 05:25 AM       
Apparently Duncan wasn't the first idea for the Kingpin. They tried to find a big white guy to play the part but after several miserable auditions from wrestlers & the like they decided to go with somone who can actually act. Good thing too because Duncan does a great job.

Anyone know what song plays in the bar during Bullseye's intro?

vicmackey is probably a spambot
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 09:19 AM       
Ben Affleck is a no talent douchebag. I and my next 8 bucks are waiting for THE HULK to come out. Ang Lee kicks ass.