Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 12:52 AM        HULK
I went into this movie unsure of what to expect. The trailers made it look rather uninteresting, and the CGI looked pretty bad. But I remembered that Spider-man's CGI looked pretty bad in the trailers too, but had vastly improved for the movie. So I gave it a chance.

And I had a fucking blast! That was a damn fun movie! The Hulk DID in fact look much better in the movie than he did in the trailers. He looked the best when they actually showed his face up close. They put a lot of attention to detail into it, his features were clearly based on Eric Bana's, and he was very expressive. The CGI wasn't always great (I have yet to see a movie where it was, even Gollum didn't look so great in some parts of Two Towers), but on the whole I really thought the Hulk looked good.

And I absolutely LOVED the editing and scene transitions. Hell, the movie is practically worth seeing for those alone. Ang Lee and crew did a magnificent job of making it FEEL like a comic book movie by incorporating panels into the movie. I've seen a lot of reviews that have mentioned this, but none of the descriptions I've read really do it justice. It changes so much anyway...sometimes the scenes would change by having the image rotate like sides of a cube, other times you would be scanning down along a "page" and enter a new panel of action. There were many different transitions, and some of them were damned creative and visually interesting. You really just have to see it for yourself to know what I'm talking about. You'll either love it or hate it (a couple of the guys I watched it with were pissed off by it).

Seeing the Hulk tear into the military was insanely fun. The movie had its flaws but on the whole I think it's very enjoyable. As far as the new wave of Marvel films go, I'd place it on about the same level as X-Men. Better than Daredevil, but not as good as Spiderman or X2.
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 01:14 AM       
Slight spoilers, probably nothing of interest.

Dude, the CG was flawless if you ask me. The only part that looked cheesy is when he fell into the ocean. Everything from the parking lot crumble, the dog-fight, and even the bombs being shot under water was absolutley stunning. It wasn't dull for a second.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 02:27 AM       
I saw it tonite. I agree the cgi was pretty damn impressive.

Personally I thought the movie was a bit too long and confusing for people that might not know some background on hulk. but then again i have a short attention span and get easily sidetracked. but I still enjoyed it.

Quote:
And I absolutely LOVED the editing and scene transitions. Hell, the movie is practically worth seeing for those alone. Ang Lee and crew did a magnificent job of making it FEEL like a comic book movie by incorporating panels into the movie. I've seen a lot of reviews that have mentioned this, but none of the descriptions I've read really do it justice. It changes so much anyway...sometimes the scenes would change by having the image rotate like sides of a cube, other times you would be scanning down along a "page" and enter a new panel of action. There were many different transitions, and some of them were damned creative and visually interesting. You really just have to see it for yourself to know what I'm talking about. You'll either love it or hate it (a couple of the guys I watched it with were pissed off by it).

I thought the transistions were great too, but I felt they were used WAY too much. I mean shit there is one time when it is just a guy walking up to the girl in the office and they had to split the screen, that was very unessacary to me. If they had just used them a little bit less I would have been much happier.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 10:09 AM       
Ha, I knew Ang Lee wouldn't fail! I knew it. Now I'll go see it in theatres.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 10:11 AM       
Remember to show up 20 minutes late so you aren't forced to watch ads. :P
The Goddamned Batman
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 12:18 PM       
I hope you enjoy it. One review I read described it as "an art film cleverly disguised as a comic book movie" and I can kind of see what he was saying.

The story was kind of slow in parts, and some of the simpletons in the audience I was with were fidgeting in their seats a bit. It takes a good 45 minutes to an hour before Banner even turns big and green for the first time (the movie is 2 hrs 20 min). I've never minded slow movies though, as long as something interesting is going on with the characters, which was definitely the case here.

Purists of the comic will be upset with how they changed the Hulk's origins, and they turned his father into a character in the comics who is actually someone else entirely (I won't say who, I don't want to drop huge spoilers yet). It didn't bother me though, because it allowed Ang Lee to really develop the father/son relationship in an interesting way that he otherwise would not have been able to.
DON'T F WITH ME
HickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 03:16 PM       
I am definetly going to see this movie. Today actually. I had a feeling it was going to be better than spider man and X-Men. I still need to see Daredevil though.
Does anybody know when The Amazing Spiderman is coming out?
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:07 PM       
Saw it yesterday. The direction, main acting, and editing was excellent, but the dialouge, and some of the supporting acting, was pretty terrible. I mainly loved the film for it's subversive elements - basically it's just one big damnation of the American miltitary, which is a great story to tell imo. Banner's dad is this huge hippy how has to fight the evil uber-conservative who put him away before. To truly live in freedom Banner must leave America; I love that!
Resident Chimp
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:47 PM       
The final fight scene was really stupid, IMO, and I was disappointed by the fact that half the action scenes with the Hulk are done in the dark to effectively hide the CG.

It was pretty good, though, but it doesn't compare to Spider Man or X-Men.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:57 PM       
Fuck Yeah
McClain is probably a spambot
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:53 AM       
I thought it was good. Yeah, the ending was a bit overdone and it took damn near 50 minutes to get to scene where you actually see the Hulk... But it was fuckin' rad when he did turn green. I've always loved watching him smash shit and the movie did him justice.
Last edited by Chojin : Jan 1st, 2000 at 12:01 AM.
Red, dead meat!
Carnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:59 AM       
Wait! I can't remember now. Did he say Hulk smash! at any point? Do I have to go back and see it again?

I thought it was pretty cool, but definitely not on the X2 level.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 12:45 PM       
No, he never said "Hulk Smash", he never really talked at all except for those "inner dialogue" moments, which is one of my only real complaints about the movie.
Resident Chimp
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 01:41 PM       
the only thing I remember him saying was "puny human."
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 08:52 PM        Worst Movie Ever
The Hulk was a terrible movie, its been all hype fro like half a year, the character of the hulk had absolutly no consistency, the first couple of action scenes were confusin, it was a slow as hell in the beginning where there explaining the hulks origins, and the inset scenes were crappy cuz they split your attention 3 ways.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 12:28 AM       
u r ghey
Mocker
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 11:52 PM        hulk
hey only queers like queer movies that have been about a years worth of hyped up dissapointment
Mocker

James sucks
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 12:28 AM       
Go watch Jerry Springer's Ringmaster again, you dumb shit.

I'm gonna wait for this to be on DVD. It looks like a decent movie and all, but I'd rather wait it out. Besides, I gotta make sure I can go see Pirates of the Carribean.

It's definitely somewhere between the suck that was DareDevil, and the awesomeness of Spider-Man. It's an interesting concept of not making it a flat-out action film, and the delay in the Hulk's appearance reminds me Jurassic Park 1's T-Rex. But depending on what you're expecting, and what mentality you're capable of, you'll either love or hate this movie.

And unfortunately, it seems a lot of people are hating this movie. Took a huge drop this weekend.
Mocker
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:10 PM       
the only good use of you and this movie is to line the floors of a chinese resturaunt so it can coolet the rat feces.

Every1 that was in the theatre i saw it with asked fro theyre money back. Dumbasses shouldnt post about a movie they havent seen but i welcome those dumbasses to buy a 20 dollar dvd.

Furthermore, the hulk cannot be compared to the the trex in jurrasic park. The trex was suppose to be a figure that shows the danger of th island, and the fact that we dont see it at first is to build our fear. We arent suppose to fear the hulk we are suppose to sypathize with him
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:12 PM       
What the fuck does coolet mean, dickhead?
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:13 PM       
Took a huge drop this weekend.

Charlie's Angels beat out the Hulk this past weekend It just be worse than I thought.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:47 PM       
Not enough titties. The public wants titties.
Mocker
The Retro Kat is probably a spambot
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:32 AM       
Man titties dont count?
Gas and masturbation are highly unlikely to be connected with each other. Have you tried to stop masturbating? Has the gas subsided as a result? Perhaps you could try the same experiment by increasing the times you masturbate daily. Do you notice that the gas is increasing?
Mocker
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:09 PM       
i dont think they do
The Goddamned Batman
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:13 PM       
sorry you are 2 stoopid to like the moovie