Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

imported_I, fuzzbot. is probably a spambot
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 04:17 PM        Diet pills linked to gay offspring
Women who take slimming and thyroid pills during pregnancy are substantially more likely to have homosexual children, according to research.

A study of thousands of mothers and their adult children has revealed that Thyroxine – used to treat thyroid deficiency – and amphetamine-based diet pills appear to influence sexual orientation. Both were identified as being strongly linked to a higher rate of homosexuality among female offspring.

The mothers of homosexuals were found to be up to eight times more likely to have taken such drugs, with the effect being strongest with daughters whose mothers took the drugs during the first three months of pregnancy. The discovery, to be published by researchers in America, backs claims that human sexuality is determined by genetic and biochemical factors at work during early pregnancy.

Prof Lee Ellis and colleagues at Minot State University, North Dakota, traced the mothers of more than 5,000 American and Canadian students and members of gay and lesbian support groups, looking for links between prescription drugs taken during pregnancy and the sexual orientation of their children.

The researchers found that the mothers of homosexual women were at least five times more likely to have taken synthetic thyroid medications during pregnancy than mothers of heterosexual women, and eight times more likely to have used amphetamine-based diet pills such as Dexedrine and diethylpropion.

They also found evidence that some drugs have the opposite effect during pregnancy, reducing the probability of homosexual offspring. Mothers of heterosexual males were 70 per cent more likely to have taken drugs to combat nausea than those of male homosexuals.

The results suggest that the effect of the drugs is strongest with female babies and when taken during the first three months of pregnancy, which accords with previous studies showing that sexual orientation is decided during this period. The results will appear in the journal Personality and Individual Differences.

Prof Ellis and his colleagues state: "These analyses support the conclusion that female offspring are more vulnerable to alterations in sexual orientation via exposure to a variety of prescription drugs, and suggest that this vulnerability is greatest during the first trimester." The researchers emphasise that the numbers taking the drugs were small and that a larger study should be undertaken. Nevertheless, they conclude: "Mothers of the female homosexuals were significantly more likely than mothers of female heterosexuals to have taken diet pills and thyroid medications during pregnancy."

Dr Glenn Wilson of the Institute of Psychiatry, London, and author of a forthcoming book on the origins of homosexuality, said: "These types of medication could have an effect on brain chemistry and research suggests that this is a major factor in determining sexual orientation."

Prof Jim Dornan, the vice-president of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, said that the findings were in line with others pointing to the importance of pre-natal factors in adult life. "We know that nutrients during pregnancy can affect health in later life. This is a very interesting finding and definitely deserves further study."

The finding adds to mounting concern over the use of slimming pills by women trying to lose weight. Prof Dornan said: "All drugs can cross the placental barrier and, looking back, we weren't so aware of what was going on inside the womb. Nowadays, the Royal College's view is that women should not take drugs unless there is a clinical need."

Source.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 04:27 PM       
who takes slimming pills during pregnancy? I'm no doctor, but it sounds like a good way of making sure your kid comes out with one arm too few or something.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 09:22 PM       
Sorry, my Bullshit Detector is going off...
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 11:54 AM       
It's not inconceivable, but correlation does NOT mean causation.
loomingdoom is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 03:00 PM       
Quote:
you sound like that jerk fartinmowler
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 03:08 PM        Re: Diet pills linked to gay offspring
Quote:
Originally Posted by I, fuzzbot.
Women who take slimming and thyroid pills during pregnancy are substantially more likely to have homosexual children, according to research.

A study of thousands of mothers and their adult children has revealed that Thyroxine – used to treat thyroid deficiency – and amphetamine-based diet pills appear to influence sexual orientation. Both were identified as being strongly linked to a higher rate of homosexuality among female offspring.
Thankfully my mother developed her thyriod problem 16 years after her pregnacy. phew.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 07:43 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by loomingdoom
Quote:
you sound like that jerk fartinmowler
no, he doesn't.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:12 PM       
Is this study trying to prove that homosexuality is a birth defect?
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:03 PM       
Quote:
The discovery, to be published by researchers in America, backs claims that human sexuality is determined by genetic and biochemical factors at work during early pregnancy.
No more a defect than having blue eyes in a family of people with brown eyes, Supa - just a genetic abberation. Generally, these individuals don't have offspring, so it is less likely to be passed on. Since you could argue that it's "undesireable" from an evolutionary standpoint, you could call it a "defect." But it's not a very strong argument, and anyone with even a modicum of political correctness wouldn't go there.

Also "looming doom" = "dirty faggot who needs to shut the fuck up."