Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 11:08 PM        Dersu Uzala.
My favorite Kurosawa film.

Recommend similar movies.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 08:55 AM       
Well nobody even knows what it's about so it's not going to be easy.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 11:50 AM       
I don't think I've seen that one.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 05:25 PM       
I thought that was a book by Vladimir Arsenchev
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 05:28 PM       
Waitaminute, according to netflix it's based on the book

Of all the random stories for Akira Kurosawa to glom onto
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 07:20 PM       
Oh. I didn't realize it was an unpopular film and I thought the people here were into Kurosawa. OK then!

You might not know about it because it's a Soviet film. Yes, it's based on the book.

Basically it's an explorer re-telling events that occurred on an expedition. His crew meets a hunter in the woods who has spent his entire life in the forest. As a result, he's a total badass and helps the guys survey the area.

It's really about the hunter and the explorer, their relationships and what they learn from each other.

It's all (except for a few segments) filmed in the Siberian wilderness, throughout various seasons and landscapes.

SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST THREE MINUTES OF THE FILM!
Spoilers!

It seems to me than Kurosawa would be interested in the project because it has a pretty obvious message of respecting nature and a more "primitive" way of living.
Ancient Mariner
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 08:53 PM       
Yes, it is on Netflix, we've looked it up

As far as movies LIKE it, i dunno, Nanook Of The North or The Edge, I guess
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 11:00 PM       
I've seen one of them!

(Nanook!)
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 11:37 PM       
This entire movie is on youtube if anyone is interested, Dersu Uzala that is.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 09:15 AM       
I saw that while looking for a clip or trailer. Is it subbed?

There's a lot of great foreign and animated films on Youtube.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 09:29 AM       
Koyaanisqatsi
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 10:41 AM       
I've looked into that and the dude's other stuff, and Baraka (unless that's the same guy). Sounded all right, but I don't know.
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 02:11 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaarg View Post
I saw that while looking for a clip or trailer. Is it subbed?
Yeah, it's subbed.

I probably shouldn't recommend a movie I haven't seen myself but I read a review of a movie called Far North a while ago. It has female hermits, wilderness, and Sean Bean.

Old Feb 12th, 2010, 05:34 PM       
Hmm, looks somewhat interesting, I'll have to look more into it. Thanks, had never heard anything about that one.