Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 05:51 PM        A.N.S.W.E.R. protests
found this interesting and a bit concerning.

http://authoritarianopportunistswhoc...-forpeace.org/
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 06:00 PM       
There's a lot of controversy surrounding the organization. I personally find its anti-semitic leanings reprehensible, and in Boston a lot of people were pissed that it co-opted the protests here (they were organized jointly by ANSWER and United for Justice with Peace). With protests organized by these groups, people go because they feel strongly that the war is wrong, etc. Many people are probably ignorant of ANSWER's organization, and those who know, go there anyway to form an united front to oppose the war. You could argue ad infinitum about these issues, or you can put them aside for the moment to give the anti-war movement a sense of cohesion and unity, something the left has been sorely lacking in the recent past.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 11:32 PM       
ANSWER is also the son of the World Workers Party, a Communist front. The whole group's background is documented and pretty sinister. And I am fearful that our children are being influenced by a Commie front. And we see where that has led.....
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 11:55 PM       
A.N.S.W.E.R. is bullshit, but they know how to organize. The folks who made that website ABC posted are in fact fairly radical themselves, but most folks, even those on the pro-peace side, know what's up with them.

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 12:13 AM       
I am glad I am not the only one that sees through their crap. There were some reports that Saddam had infiltrated some of their groups with people, but I doubt that happened. Even thought it isnt in the realm of fantasy.
Mocker

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 11:12 AM       
Hasn't history taught us that aligning yourself with questionable organizations for the sake of "unity" and "cohesion" gets us in trouble? Isn't it hypcrotical for such a politicaly aware movement to comprimise their own beliefs because someone's good at organizing things?

When Conservatives say protesters are supporting Saddam by marching...well we know that's silly... but it adds some credibility when the organizers of the march sure as hell do, right???? If ANSWER has ties to various agendas and foriegn governments, then isn't the wild assertions that American protestors are being used as pawns a little closer to reality ? Conservatives have already made comments that these events are being funded and organized with the assistance of nations that have the motivation to seed dissent in our country. I'm not saying there isn't plenty of legit dissent and outrage going around... but this is fucking SCARY. Certainly the protest I witnessed in NYC on Saturday was a beautifull thing... but I doubt many in that crowd knew much about ANSWER (and I am under the impression they were the main organizers of that rally, right?).

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 11:38 AM       
This has something to do with it, but I just downloaded and watched SOAD's new video. Wow, that was propaganda not supported by facts BIG Time. some looks of answer, and a good unedited shot of a USSR flag being waved. I guess SOAD and Michael Moore were paying respect to their masters.
Mocker
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 12:09 PM       
The New York City protests are organized by United For Justice and Peace, a different organization. ANSWER does the DC protests, and other smaller ones.

On the allegiance thing, you just have to exercise sound judgement, and it's up to you to decide whether the cons outweigh the pros. On the flip side, one could say that by voting Republican one is aligning with various unsavory characters -- racists et al. A movement -should- be self-critical, but not to the point that it breaks down into this or that dispute. You'd have no mobilization at all if that happened.

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 12:41 PM       
You have just opened up the forum for discussion on the fatal flaw of Democrats and liberals in general when it comes to a republican and conseratives.

Liberals, for the most part, are really awful when it comes to self-cratieqing their own. Especially in a public way. It seems that if you are associated as liberal, that no matter how much an ass a fellow liberal makes of himself, you have to applaud his ideas and so forth.

Conseratives on the other hand, will nail anyone on the radical front. David Duke tried to run as a Republican in 92 for govenor (I believe), everyone tore him a new one on the conserative front. Pat Buchanan decided to become the paleo-conserative, everyone told him to step off. We, as conseratives, are better of making sure our own fellow self-proclaimed "conseratives" are critized when they something that is idiotic, racists, evil, etc. Liberals seem to give liberals a free pass when it comes to the insanity of the things some of them do.

I would go on, but I'm kinda busy, so if my post looks a bit sloppy, I hope you will understand.
Mocker

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:01 PM       
How is that even related to someone walking in line in front of a banner for an organization that doesn't represent their own beliefs???? Sounds irresponsible.

So you're saying ANSWER had NO involvement in coordinating last weekends regional rallies aside from marching in them?

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:13 PM       
ABCD, wouldnt you agree then with the statement that the majority of the protestors are just doing it because 1) the don't like war no matter what, 2) they just want to seem "cool" or 3) they hate Bush? The fact that the people that are marching don't have an idea of WHO SUPPORTS the marches proves a lot. Like that most of these people are feeding off emotion and skewed fews instead of the facts (as we would believe) that are given by various sources? I would hope to believe if some of the grand protestors would actually find out who supports their marches, that they would think twice about going to these sponsored marches, since by proxy they would be supporing an Communist front organization and think-tank?
Mocker

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:16 PM       
vince - that's another debate entirely. Plenty of Conservative movements have been coopted in their own right, including the current "pro-war" movement. I'm concerned about one specific leftist group, and it's partners... NOT debating the lefts ability to critique their own.

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:23 PM       
You may have misunderstood my statement. The item that I wanted you to view was not the left's critique of its own, but the people who protest and by proxy support the WWP and give it credability with its actions. I do hope that clears any misunderstandings up.
Mocker

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:52 PM       
Mocker
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 04:06 PM       
If it bothers you enough, then don't go, or protest in some other way. For me, the primary objective of an anti-war protest is just that -- to protest the war. The organizers' ideologies, or for that matter viewpoints that some of the protesters themselves promulgate, are secondary. I don't particularly care for anarchism say, or some religious organization that opposes war, but they can promote themselves if they want to.

Quote:
Liberals, for the most part, are really awful when it comes to self-cratieqing their own. Especially in a public way. It seems that if you are associated as liberal, that no matter how much an ass a fellow liberal makes of himself, you have to applaud his ideas and so forth.
Such toss.
Mocker

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 06:08 PM       
Hey aport. You sound like a true blue idiot. I went by the protest so my criticism, if any, would be based on something...and the fact is I didn't find anything that offended me. Still it's attitudes like yours that alienate a lot of people like me who do not and will not go because the idea of supporting a bad organization for a good cause is idiotic. I mean gosh, why is that the people with the scary agenda have suceeded in organizing your movement in ways that others haven't. Doesn't that scare you ???? Your attitude just seems to be "hey dude, who cares, don't go then" .... and that says more about you then you'll ever realize. I'm not saying peple should stop protesting... I'm saying people should make sure the people organizing these marches have pure intentions without hidden agendas...and you should care.
Mocker
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 07:12 PM       
Dude,

As I said, the NYC protests are organized by United for Peace and Justice, NOT ANSWER.

I don't support their agenda, wouldn't donate any money towards the organization, and frankly, find their cries of "long live the intifada blah blah blah" very disturbing. You pick the lesser of two evils, in this case Bush, or ANSWER. Bush and co. are presently a quadrillion times more powerful than the Worker's World Party, and a quadrillion times more dangerous. Is giving public exposure to the anti-war movement less important than somewhat empowering an idiotic yet ultimately insignificant organization that supports brutal dictators? It depends on your morals, I guess.

FYI, the Indymedia project that I'm a part of is working on a expose of the organization and others (NION was created by some other communist party, and I heard that UPJ is a front for some other radical organization).

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 07:18 PM       
Quote:
It seems that if you are associated as liberal, that no matter how much an ass a fellow liberal makes of himself, you have to applaud his ideas and so forth.
Bullshit. Take Ranxer for a local example, but with the right currently labelling anyone they don't like 'liberal,' there is far more internal quarreling on this side of that fence.
Mocker

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 08:40 PM       
If you're empowering an idiotic yet ultimately insignificant organization that supports brutal dictators then you're naive to pretend you're just supporting the anti-war movement.
Mocker
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 08:48 PM       
No pretensions here -- I've already made that clear several times.
Mocker

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 12:09 PM       
Ok so here's another one. I have friends taking part in todays M27 acts of civil disobediance. The organization calls themselves an "ad hoc" group on their website, without any trace of their background or affiliations. There is virtually no information on who M27 even are. I know, I know.... anarchy. Woo. A lot of people are passionate and want to protest the war, and that's fine, but mystery orgnizations only further my concerns here. If the cause is honorable, and the organizers are reputable...then why hide?

You can't tell me there isn't SOME organization out there with the ability to organize and unite a movement that doesn't have blood on their hands, and isn't afraid to admit who they are. What the fuck is going on here???????
Mocker
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 02:06 PM       
Wanna start one? I'll help out.
Mocker

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 02:35 PM       
I would and all but something tells me all the soap in the world couldn't wash your own hands clean.

Besides - I'm what they call "pro-Israel" and believe in a Middle East co-existance (gasp!) .... and apparently that's not the type of peace the current Left wants to see.
Mocker
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 02:51 PM       
Not even Mother Teresa had clean hands, so get off your damn high horse. Moral infallibility is worthless, even "unclean", if you don't do anything to stop the greater evils.
Mocker

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 03:25 PM       
No. The high horse is an exlusionary self righteous peace movement that succombs to the very priviledged, capatilist, violent and imperialist lifestyles they claim to stand against. Who gives a fuck about Mother Theresa. It's starting to seem like the current peace movement is nothing but a self help group with pervish motives.

Also - learn your modern revolutionary history before you make statements like that.... I know a lot of Black Panthers that tear up for their wrong doings and irresponsibility....and a lot of misguided kids who danced around making fork symbols in front of a giant Charlie Manson photo that are ashamed they didn't know better.