Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker

James sucks
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 02:33 PM        The Old PC Games/DOS Games Thread
I was thinking about older PC games. Long story short, are older games available for free, legally? For example, 7th Guest or 11th hour. Both are 11 and 9 years old, and not being produced anymore.

So yeah, where can I download older PC games legally? I know some games end up being abandonware after a while, but I've never been able to find any sites with an extensive list of games.

adam is probably a spambot
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 03:07 PM       
The Underdogs has a pretty extensive list of abandonwares and some of them that can even be downloaded.
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:39 PM       
www.freeoldies.com not a great site, but better than nothing.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:46 PM       
Who cares if it's legal, really? The companies don't exist anymore so who's gonna sue you?
Mocker

James sucks
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 05:02 PM       
Well, for discussion on these boards, you have to discuss things under a legal context. Also, sites that deal with licensed abandonware aren't as fucked up as warez sites.

Anyway, remember Gobliiins? I bet you don't. I downloaded it, and I can get it running fine, except I can't get sound.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 07:57 PM       
More discussion, please.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 08:26 PM       
why in the underdogs page, you found beyond good and evil?

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 07:37 AM       
Oh my god! You can download flashback for free from www.bhlegend.com That game fucking rules!

edit: You can also get Jagged Alliance: Deadly games! Where has this site been all my life?
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 11:23 AM       
As far as legality goes, old PC games are just like NES games. Very few of them are legal. But none of them will get you in trouble.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 09:38 PM       
Quote:
But isn't abandonware illegal?

Unfortunately, yes. Despite the fact that publishers no longer derive revenues from these games since they have stopped selling them (and any revenues from retailers that still sell them were gained a long time ago, at the time of sales), it is illegal to distribute them so long as copyright holders have not released them into the public domain, and 95 years after the games' release have not elapsed.
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 09:51 PM       
DON'T COPY THAT FLOPPY!

Mocker

James sucks
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:39 PM       
I thought Abandonware MEANT that the copyright holders released them into public domain.

Well fuck it. Give me games, faggot.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:44 PM       
no freeware means its been released into public domain
OH GOD
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:46 PM       
you'll get in less trouble for abandonware than for illicit mp3s though so dont worry about it unless its like a game that's less than 5 years old :/
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 03:19 AM       
Didn't you get in trouble with the MPPA, willie?

OH GOD
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:51 PM       
yea but that was fopr kazzaa not for download games

and technically it was bgecause i was sharing them not because i downloaded them
zoom
eggyolk is probably a spambot
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 09:33 AM       

so its true then what they say, you get in trrouble for uploading, not downloading
Drev is probably a spambot
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 02:48 PM       
I'm looking to the Mega Man PC games. I had one, but deleted it because my computer was too fast and it made the game run too fast to be playable.

I KNOW they games are pure shit, but I want to play them.
OH GOD
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 08:24 PM       
did you try running a slowdown program like MoSlo or Turbo, or maybe DOSBox cause that shit usually works pretty good

edit: http://www.the-underdogs.org/guidedos.php
adept_ninja is probably a spambot
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 10:48 PM       
The only problem with old games is you cant always play them without a emulator i got elder scrolls 2 and i had to go through all sorts of crap to get it to run
OH GOD
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 11:38 PM       
stop you're making me cry
Jim Duncan - Weather is probably a spambot
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:46 AM       

Bungie is letting people download Marathon for free!

MikeSoAwesome is probably a spambot
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 10:32 PM       
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/ has Star Control 2/The Ur-Quan Masters it's a port yet identical.
OH GOD
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 12:53 AM       
i'm pretty sure sc2 is actually freeware
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:08 AM       
Yes it is.

And the latest version of dosbox has yet to fail to properly emulate any of my old games. And I have an extensive collection of both originals and illigaly downloaded copies. I've been playing the fuck out of the original wasteland again, trying to finally beat it. I remember you liked wasteland, didn't you willie? Have you finished it?