Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:18 PM       
I hardly know which bit of who's willful ignorance and myopia to start with.

Abcddx: Everything you think here is based on pure, personal supposition. I am also amazed at your personal tunnel vision. That collection was a repository of the worlds culture. Mathematics and language were invented between the Tigris and Euphrates. It is the single most important archeological site on earth. Your uninformed conjecture about one small aspect of this treasure trove is obsessive. Your siting other regional minorities is also irrelevant. Not that I don't think those are worthy areas of archeological and cultural study, not that I think they are not significant in the regions history, but The main articles of significance in the collection date back to the city of Ur. The Babalonyian Captivity is last week comepared to some of that stuff. It isn't just hyperbole or Arab nationalism to call the area around Bahgdad the "Cradle of Civilization" it's a close to true as the current world archelogical record gets.

Shach; Swell, they 'plan', they 'hope'. They'll get back a good deal of it I imagine, and that's great. But a lot of it is gone for good or will only resurface in private collections. As I've mentioned, the archeological records and small artifacts are almost certainly unrecoverable. And the Library? Good luck.

Now on to the seniormost shaved ape here. Vincent. Do you revel in your stupidity, or just not recognize it?

"I give the people the benefit of the doubt of seeing these treasures as part of Saddam trying to show his great cultural history, considering the asshole thought he was an Old Testament type ruler. So I don't blame them for going apeshit. "

1.) I doubt sincerely that any Arabs at all, Iraqis or otherwise, saw this museum as emblematic of Saddam. This is the record of civilzation, theirs most particularly, but everyone's in general. The artifactas predate Judaism, Pre-date the Egyptian Empire, Pre-date every other civilization. Do you think the Italians identified the remains of Pompeii with Muselini? Because that would have been lot less of a stretch in years and significance. And Saddam identified himself with Saladin, not an old testament anything. I'm sure their pleased you don't blame them for going apeshit, though.

"Do I personally care? Not really."
That's because you're a cretin, Vince. And I'm being kind.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 10:38 PM       
OOOOHHHHHHHHh, I'm sorry Max! I'm sorry that I could give a fuck less about some old ass pottery and maps and such when put up against the freedom of a people that have been ruled by fear and war for 24 FUCKING YEARS!!!

It sucks priceless artifacts were destroyed. It really does. But look at it from their p.o.v.: Would you, as an Iraqi citizen, finally free from an asshole murderous dictator, look at that museum and say "Well, I shouldn't touch that" or "This is something that Saddam holds as being of importance, so its time to tear it up." I am going with choice number 2, sir.

Max, you need to grow the fuck up. Quit thinking like some elitst, scholarly lib and join the mass majority in the real world. Your attitude suggests that you need to have your ass beat up and down a few city blocks once in your life.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 02:24 AM       
Hey Max.... what the hell are you talking about? You might like to view yourself as a great cultural humanitarian with a huge respect for preservation of artifacts and history... but get a grip and open your eyes to reality. I don't know much in detail of the collection, but I get the feeling you're going by the reputation of some Egyptian coworkers who impressed you. Can you actually point me in the direction of some websites that might describe the catalogue as it was intact? One that was representative of history without alterations and editing according to it's benefactors whims....oh and this wasn't just any benefactor...he was a cruel and heartless one who attempted to eradicate entire races and cultures. So if that seems tunnel vision and irrelevant to you then I truly feel sorry for your respect of curatorial integrity anyway. Surely an old rock of great importance is still an old important rock just the same... even if some other rocks were destroyed... but don't get carried away.... Saddam tampered with every inch of Iraqi history he could. Again, if you can find a website with more detailed information it might be helpfull for the both of us.

Another thing... these articles forget to mention that some of the looted items were taken from the vaults. Meaning this was an inside job. A lot of the material will in fact end up in the blackmarket...or in Syria...or France...because these items weren't bumrushed by hooligans, they were carefuly stolen by people who knew the stock.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:10 AM       
Vince, take two steps back, cause you're once again missing the point entirely. This topic is about ruined cultural treasures. You don't prove you're right by saying there's worse things to worry about. That'd be like me going into your little tax rant thread and scalding you for worrying about money while there's people dying somewhere else in the world. Dipshit.

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 09:32 PM       
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._antiquities_2

WASHINGTON - Art collectors and dealers say they already are getting queries about artifacts looted from Iraq (news - web sites)'s museums, and the FBI (news - web sites) said Monday that at least one suspected piece has been seized at an American airport.

Thousands of items, some dating back many thousands of years, were taken when U.S. forces overthrew Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s regime. The FBI has begun working with U.S. and international law enforcement agencies, as well as art collectors, auctioneers and experts, to try to recover them.

Lynne Chaffinch, manager of the FBI Art Theft Program, told a small group of reporters that she expects the thieves will attempt to sell most of the stolen pieces in wealthy countries such as the United States, Britain, Germany, Japan, France and Switzerland. People in the United States already buy about 60 percent of the world's art, both legal and illegal.

"We've had some interesting motives, but mostly it's money," she said of the reasons behind art theft.

Chaffinch said Customs agents at an unspecified U.S. airport seized at least one item believed stolen from a Baghdad museum.

Customs officials declined comment, citing an ongoing investigation. But they did say that Customs agents at ports of entry nationwide are on the lookout for Assyrian, Sumerian, Mesopotamian and other treasures believed stolen.

Thieves usually attempt to sell stolen art and artifacts on the legal market. The FBI frequently hears about a suspect piece from a dealer or expert, then dispatches an undercover agent to contact the seller. Some of these agents have art history training so they can move undetected in a highly specialized world.

"You've got to be able to talk the talk," Chaffinch said.

The FBI will work closely with art collectors, auction houses, museum curators and even online sellers such as eBay to track down any Iraqi pieces offered for sale in the United States.

Key to that will be getting documentation about the stolen pieces from Iraq so that law enforcement officials here and abroad can authenticate those that are recovered. This case is far different from many art thefts, which can involve famous works by artists such as Picasso or Van Gogh rather than ancient pieces of pottery or writing tablets that only experts recognize.

"Somebody steals a Picasso or a Rembrandt, it's going to be hard to sell," Chaffinch said.

The FBI soon will send a team of agents, probably along with Chaffinch, to Baghdad to collect that information. That will be posted for police on the FBI's National Stolen Art File, which along with private and international databases list descriptions of some 100,000 pieces of stolen art.

The University of Chicago's Oriental Institute has also begun posting on its Internet site descriptions of some important artifacts believed stolen. Experts at the university say between 50,000 and 200,000 items were stolen from Baghdad museums after the city fell to U.S. forces.

A U.S. government task force that includes the FBI and Justice Department (news - web sites), State Department, Customs, CIA (news - web sites) and Interpol is figuring out how to tackle the Iraqi looting case. Some thought is being given to using an amnesty or reward program to get thieves to return items, though officials stressed no final decisions have been made.

In addition, Interpol plans a conference May 5-6 in Lyons, France, to organize and coordinate international efforts to both recover the stolen pieces and arrest the perpetrators. Some Interpol investigators are already in Kuwait, awaiting U.S. military permission to travel to Baghdad.

The sheer scale of the thefts has sparked unprecedented publicity that is already helping law enforcement officials investigate the case, Chaffinch said. The fact that the items date to civilization's earliest times has led to worldwide interest in the case, she added.

"That's the cradle of civilization," she said. "It isn't just Iraqi cultural heritage — it's the world's cultural heritage."
Mocker

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 10:41 PM       
...and in case anyone missed it...they nabbed like 42 paintings on the blackmarket in Italy. your typical street looter wouldn't know what to do with 50,000 - 200,000 items (good lord!) and they certainly wouldn't know how the hell to get something on to the blackmarket in italy a week after the incident while the rest of iraq is full of turmoil. think about it. also, think about the los angeles riots after rodney king... people went nutty dragging trash bins filled with diapers down the block, just grabbing ANYTHING they could. you couldn't fault them. i think this was an inside job though.
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:04 AM       
My suspicion is that a good amount of it was done by professionals (as opposed to the street thief), and probably some from the inside, yes.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:00 AM       
Why does Rumsfeld hve to be so petty, meanspirited and contemptous about this? I saw him at a press conference equate the looting with one video of a 'vase' being stolen shown 20 times.

Who does this serve? Why does he feel the need to be so snide? One is left wiith the impression that he think nothing merriting seriousness is happening, and I don't just mean the looting, I mean the entire war.
Mocker

Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:27 AM       
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/01/in...=all&position=

BAGHDAD, Iraq, April 30 — Even though many irreplaceable antiquities were looted from the National Museum of Iraq during the chaotic fall of Baghdad last month, museum officials and American investigators now say the losses seem to be less severe than originally thought.
Col. Matthew F. Bogdanos, a Marine reservist who is investigating the looting and is stationed at the museum, said museum officials had given him a list of 29 artifacts that were definitely missing. But since then, 4 items — ivory objects from the eighth century B.C. — had been traced.
"Twenty-five pieces is not the same as 170,000," said Colonel Bogdanos, who in civilian life is an assistant Manhattan district attorney.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 09:49 AM       
While I applaud this Manhattan DA's mathematical acumen, an 'invesitigator' who so obviously hasd an agenda ought to at least keep his yap closed until he has facts to report.

I have no idea where this figure of 29 missing artifacts comes from, but I also have no doubt at all it is something he doesn't understand. If there were 29 artifacts missing from museum that size it would be difficult for anyone beyond currators to even notice.

This is Rumsfeld with his "One Vase shown over and over" theory. The case may have been overstated, but 29 artifacts is a completely ridiculous figure.