Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:05 PM        Hey, Jap Crap People
I need to get a gift for a girl who's into this anime shit, and I haven't watched any of it. I like to give awesome gifts, but seriously, the only even remotely interesting animator I can find is this "Kihachiro Kawamoto" stop-motion guy, and his stuff sounds a little dark to give to a sheltered Christian girl.

So anyway, I'm looking for recommendations that she wouldn't have heard of that won't inexplicably involve any demon rape orgies or similar Japanese customs.

Yes, I know how gay this thread is, but I'm out of ideas, dammit
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:21 PM       
Define "inexplicably".

Seriously, though, without knowing anything about her tastes, it's hard to make a recommendation. I'd say Rumiko Takahashi's stuff is good for safe, entry level anime. It's cute and funny, and as your girlfriend's tastes mature, she'll eventually realize that all her stuff goes on forever and eventually starts to repeat.

Fushigi Yugi is a nice romantic comedy sort of anime, too.

☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM       
If you gave us some examples of what anime shit she likes, I'm sure we can help you empress the panties off of her.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:15 PM       
"Impress", Tadao. Anyway, I know for certain that she likes this one miyazaki dude and a bunch of somewhat annoying shows.
Ancient Mariner
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM       
Having now looked her up, Takahashi seems to have made those somewhat annoying shows, so I guess she's a fan.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:23 PM       
get her a Kirara plush. Girls like stuffed animals, right?

Protip: it doesn't look nearly this shitty up close.

also, make sure you pronounce it Kilala or she'll get nerd raged
Ancient Mariner
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:26 PM       
I really, really do not want to be seen giving that to someone, but that kind of seems like her thing. Hopefully last resort.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:36 PM       
I like Miyazaki, unfortunately, there isn't really anything (that I know of) that has the same feel or style.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:10 PM       
Dr. Boogie has it exactly right, get her the Fushigi Yugi Ultimate Collection. Even the girls I have dated that don't like anime like Fushigi Yugi.

This is a tad pricy (much less so than it was about 4 years ago, but it is the complete collection) http://store.animearigato.com/f00123.html

You might be able to do better on eBay, I got mine there way back when for about $40 plus shipping
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:07 PM       
she might like FLCL, too, unless she's already watched it.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:38 PM       

That was very funny. Well done.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:41 AM       
Read or Die and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi.

And Big O is just plain cool for anybody.
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:32 PM       
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is really good, and FLCL is probably my single most favorite piece of animation ever. Both look really nice and are fun to watch, even for the haters.

It depends what she's into, though. Most chicks who like the animez are into the stuff guys are into (Naruto, Bleach, that kind of garbage,) though there's a lot of stuff for chicks too. Inuyasha is the female equivalent of Dragonball Z, so that's another safe bet.

Personally, I'd recommend sitting down and watching Adult Swim on Saturday night at around 11PM EST for some ideas, because that's when they show the most anime, and you can get her input on what's on. Otherwise, people will just recommend all of their favorite stuff, and you'll get nowhere.

EDIT: If she's REALLY into anime, Lucky Star is basically 20 minutes of anime references with cute children and J-Pop. I think she'd have to be an anime nut to love it. Think Seinfeld but with high school girls talking about anime and video games, and you're on the right track. Either you love or hate that one, though, so be careful when considering it.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:58 PM       
The only good thing about Lucky Star is the opening.

The FLCL ULTIMATE EDITION or some crap is a little pricey for a show with only 6 episodes, but the packaging and extra content on the DVD are really topnotch and well worth it. Also, if you order it from the right place on the internet, you get a free T-Shirt. And STICKERS. That is my reccomendation. Anyone who likes Takahashi or Miyazaki should also enjoy FLCL.

Edit: http://discountanimedvd.com/Product-...VD-Box-Set.asp
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:03 PM       
The only reason Fooly Cooly is popular is because of the off-beat art style and the shitty soundtrack.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:04 PM       
The ending made me sad.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:08 PM       
The best part was when it ended and I didn't see it on Adult Swim anymore.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:09 PM       
for people who don't watch anime y'all sure complain about it a lot
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:12 PM       
Oh, I do. I would be ignorant if I didn't. But Fooly Cooly is still shit, bein' all wacky.
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:14 PM       
That's because the story probably went over your head. FLCL is awesome if you actually understand what's going on.

The second episode, when they finally reveal the who the arsonist is and all the little hints throughout the episode? That was awesome.

And GW, I enjoyed Lucky Star once I lowered my intelligence to the proper level (13 years old).
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Gamma View Post
That's because the story probably went over your head. FLCL is awesome if you actually understand what's going on.
Oh please. If the Mock Wars were still around... well, nevermind.

I'd rather not entertain your notions of superiority.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:25 PM       
If you care enough there's actually a pretty legitimate story and/or message, but you don't
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:26 PM       
Care to describe it to me? PERSUADE ME? Elaborate, fiend.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:28 PM       
Well, actually, when you strip out all the KUH-RAAAAAAZY bullshit it's more or less your standard coming-of-age story. But they reference Crystal Pepsi, and that makes it ok.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:31 PM       
Wow. I tell you what, that just rocked me. It rocked me to the fucking core. As a matter of fact, I'm going to go buy the DVD now. And a Wii. That's how much I believe in what you just said. I thank you, Gee Dubya, for opening up my eyes wider than they've ever been before and letting me see in the true light. Of Jesus.