Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 05:05 AM        Double-standards in religion
So, apparently a dormitory here at IU offers classes to its inhabitants, calling itself a "learning living center" or something like that. One of these classes is centered on The Simpsons. I guess that's what a state education will get you these days. Anyhow, this class had a sociological project assigned to its students wherein they were to offer people $1 to buy their souls. This would hypothetically spur debate into "the importance of religion in daily life". End the story there, and I'd call it "pretty damn stupid".

The story doesn't end there, for which it earns a promotion to "abjectly retarded".

I don't know whether they were inspired or not by their professor's instructions, although I highly doubt it, but a number of these students boisterously entered a prayer chapel owned and operated by the University and actively interrupted people in prayer to pitch their "sociological experiment". A friend of mine was there only incidentally, taking pictures for decorative planning for her sister's wedding in that chapel, but she was quite offended. So, she posted these happenings in the local LJ community.

The most recurring theme in the responses was that the students hadn't gone far enough in badgering those praying, that it was a legitimate learning excursion, and by the way, Jesus is stupid. Clearly, what happened was a case of mass pseudo-sophism.

Now, there have been a number of studies showing an inverse proportionality between religiosity and IQ, education, and financial security. The right side of the equation is all roughly the same; people with high IQs tend to be more educated, and education is inarguably related to income. I'm not going to dispute this. I could argue ad nauseum about what "religiosity" means and how it's relevant, but I won't unless you really want me to.

The problem with this is that people tend to polarize this tendency and interpret the data to mean "religious equals not intelligent". So, there is an overbearing idea that "If I am not religious, I am therefore intelligent". Not exactly a flawless syllogism.

What strikes me, however, is that this attitude perseveres in greater abundance at my lowly state university than my former elitest private university. Yet, I'm quite sure that Chicago is on average less religious than IU. The Chicago administration takes a lot of kookiness this time of year with Scav Hunt and turns a blind eye when students go so far as building a functioning nuclear reactor, yet I can't imagine there not being a furor over interrupting the right to prayer for some asinine assignment.

So, it just frustrates me that kids here are stupid enough to attack religion in the name of intelligence. It's one thing to ask the hard questions and come up with hard answers, but I'm more than a little confident that the vast majority of atheists here are so simply because it's trendy and "subversive".

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 05:12 AM       
Stupid people are everywhere.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 05:45 AM       
THEY'RE IN OUR SCHOOLS OH GOD THEY'RE IN OUR SCHOOLS
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 05:47 AM       
Oh, I can't believe I forgot the best part:

Collins LLC, the living center responsible for the class, asked my friend to remove her LJ post on the subject. She complied, even though she doesn't live in it.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 09:56 AM       
Let's see the pictures!
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 12:20 PM       
Its essentially a bunch of stupid kids who think they've got it all figured out and people who think differently are stupid. Funny thing is, these morons rarely understand what it is they are talking about. they are just regurgitating (often incorrectly) what they heard from their teacher or read in a book(or magazine, saw in a movie or tv etc etc).

All this merely confirms my belief that the biggest mouths are usually attached to the smallest minds.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 12:55 PM       
What Blanco said. They're just stupid kids looking for an ideology to cling to because they don't have the faculties to think.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:28 PM       
Stupid people find atheism really easy to cling to. Most stupid people are lazy when it comes to furthering themselves, atheism allows them to fulfill that roll while being pop cool!~
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:55 PM       
Is it really atheism that these types flock to though? I tend to have respect for atheists because most I meet just can't buy into the notion of a god or greater being. But often I find the folks who rip on religiosity are really ripping on Christianity. THey themselves might be Budhists, or Jewish, or whatever, and will also rationalize or apologize for the actions of radical muslims. I'm guessing these kids wouldn't have barged into a mosque to do whatever crap they were doing.
BANNED

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 05:01 PM       
"Is it really atheism that these types flock to though? I tend to have respect for atheists because most I meet just can't buy into the notion of a god or greater being."

Some atheists are respectable(most respectible atheists take on the name agnostic, though), but most of them just do it to be cool or something. I knew plenty of them when I was growing up. You're right about ripping on christianity. You have to realize, it doesn't really matter what religion or philosophy they happen to be playing the role of that week, they are still stupid people so their representation of it is going to be poor. I wouldn't even really call them atheists, they are more like victims of pop culture.

Plus being an atheist is the easiest thing in the world to be. Even being an agnostic takes more effort and more thought. Being a christian takes more effort and more thought, even when it comes to stupid people. Personally I'd say atheistic stupid people are the worst type of stupid people out there, just by who I've met. LETS LISTEN TO SLIPKNOT AND PARTY ABOUT HOW STUPID GOD IS. I seriously had friends like that, and they listened to deicide, the worst band in the world.
Level 29 ♂
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 05:01 PM       
Atheism does appeal to these people because it requires no study (unlike a conversion) and is directly opposed to Christianity. Being a Buddhist or a Muslim might not throw a Christian into a rage, but being an atheist might, at least in the minds of these people. The only reason they don't join the Church of Satan is because that's scary
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 06:24 PM       
They do it because it's easy.
I on the other hand will never reveal my stands on religion.
Just let the damn people believe whatever they choose to.
I wouldn't want to hear someone preach their science at me.
BANNED

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 07:48 PM       
MYSTERIOUS PRETENTIOUS FELLOW, OH HOW WE RESPECT THEE.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:19 PM       
I SENSE SARCASM.
Oh well, everytime I put my 2 cents in...
BANNED

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:31 PM       
lol sorry fathom
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 12:01 AM       
Atheism requires more faith than theism. You cannot prove God does not exist. It may be possible some day to conclusively observe a being fantastically superior to any living being we've observed thus far. A god, or gods, if you will.

But you can never prove such a creature (regardless of whether any religion has accurately described it) does not exist, especially if the universe really is infinite. It takes Faith to say that.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 12:22 AM       
exactly. fucking exactly. whenever I try to explain that to people, I always get a blank stare and a "JESUS LOL." fucking stupid atheists.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 12:53 AM       
So basically, someone somewhere at sometime somehow created someone. Doesn't take any faith for me to say that. But I do despise atheists, it's the in thing at my school to be an emo-homo and an atheist. I'm sure that scientology will become the new fad next year, though. People are way too impressionable by psychotic celebrities.
Whatever floats their boat.
Level 29 ♂
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:04 AM       
Even adult atheists are generally stupid assholes and hate on Christians for no particular reason. That's why I declared myself agnostic. I couldn't stand those people.
Mocker
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:22 AM       
I've given thought to joining some sort of cult to fill the empty void that is my social life since I moved to Texas. Trying to make friends at bars/clubs/loud parties doesn't seem to work, maybe cuz I'm just not feeling that scene anymore.

But Scientology sounds WAY too expensive, and I've been agnostic too long to take any of the name-brand faiths very seriously.

I thought about Buddhism relatively seriously for a while, but I don't wanna be a vegetarian. Plus I never can remember whether it's spelled 'Bhudda' or 'Buddha', and that could be embarrassing.

There's a Zen Center that has "meetings" every other Sunday at 11 less than 2 miles down the street from my house, while the Unitarians are halfway across Dallas in a much more affluent part of town.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:42 AM       
Agnosticism is the way to go in all things religious, metaphysical, moral, etc.
Mocker
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:49 AM       
Especially if you're a total douchbag, pussy, faggot, etc.
Legislacerator
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:24 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero
So basically, someone somewhere at sometime somehow created someone. Doesn't take any faith for me to say that.
because that's EXACTLY what we were talking about. did kahl not get the point across?
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:10 AM       
I'll tell you one thing, it's definitely better to be agnostic then it is to be a gnostic.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 10:50 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
Atheism requires more faith than theism. You cannot prove God does not exist. It may be possible some day to conclusively observe a being fantastically superior to any living being we've observed thus far. A god, or gods, if you will.

But you can never prove such a creature (regardless of whether any religion has accurately described it) does not exist, especially if the universe really is infinite. It takes Faith to say that.
If we are looking at this from a logical stand point, you don't have to. The burden is on us who claim the positive ie there is a God.

Then again, I never really dug philosophy, so I could be completly fucking that up.