Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 08:43 AM        Intolerable Neighbor Rant
I'm sure that there are worse neighbors out there than these. However.

I've about had it with these people. They act as if the entire duplex belongs to them. Their kids play in our yard (not theirs, because it's studded with dogshit). Speaking of dogshit, when they first moved in they allowed their dog to crap all over our yard in addition to their own. It eased up after they saw me collecting it all in a large paper bag...they might have wondered if I had any projects in mind. I don't mind if someone has a dog, dogs are great, but at least clean up the shit!

One kid hangs out in our driveway, sitting with his back to our garage door. His mom doesn't seem to give a rat's ass. I live in fear that one day we'll unknowingly back out of our garage and roll right over him. He also steals and tortures the mantises I keep in my garden for pest control, even after I tell him to leave them alone. And I notice that almost every time I catch him hanging around our mailbox, we receive word from the cable company or Netflix or whomever that they never got what we sent them. (I sent a letter to the postmaster that some of our mail was going missing- no response).

The UPS guy will not drop off here because he says they take packages.

On most sunny days, our ENTIRE shared driveway is filled with their car-repair projects. They have one functional car, one functional truck, and two junkers that they don't have a problem leaving parked right in front of OUR house. Sometimes one of their two bass boats is parked crosswise across the shared driveway, their yard, or both. I mean, they seriously do seem to think the entire property is theirs.

They had a garage sale and never told us, and we grinned and bore it as the property was filled with nibby old ladies and their Buicks. A few months later, we had one and didn't tell them (I wanted to, but they don't speak to me) and they acted like we'd taken a dump on their doorstep.

They use their garage as a family room. They have a TV and couches in there. Which is fine, whatever, but when we use it as a garage (you know, the way we're SUPPOSED to?), power tools or whatever on a weekend afternoon, they pound on the garage wall because we're interrupting the game or Nascar race or whatever.

Unfortunately, our landlord is a very nonconfrontational sort of guy and bitching to him would do no good. I've tried very hard to be nice to these people, but the husband is the only one who's done so much as return a wave. Nothing out of the mother or any of the kids. They pretend I'm not there.

We'd never dream of letting an animal of ours crap in their yard, or parking our junker cars in front of their house (not that we have any, or that we could, because most of the time they have one of their bass boats parked there). And we sure as hell wouldn't pound on the garage wall if someone was hammering or using a drill in there on a Saturday afternoon. That's what garages are for! And my two kids aren't going to be out of me until later this summer, but you'd better believe I'd never let them hang out in the other family's driveway or let them go through other people's mailboxes!

Very, very aggravating.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 10:24 AM       
Does your landlord own both halves of the duplex? If so, then he's a douchebag for not evicting those pigs.
You may already be there.
Zombie Basher
Dr. Octogonopus is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 11:38 AM       
Damn, my neighbor just yells at my dog. Try leaving a springloaded trap in the mailbox for that kid. Like have it so when he opens it up he get blasted with water, so then you can't get in trouble for it either, because the damn kid was going through YOUR mailbox, which is illegal. So you can get a leg up on them legally. Also, if you want to sacrifice your garden for hilarity, plant a bunch of poison ivy and put the mantises on them. That'll teach him.
Mucho Porro
ElPila666 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 12:24 PM       
My neighbor threw bricks at my dog when she was barking because she was chasing her tail and that annoyed them so they couldn't sleep, but luckily they end up moving somewhere, i think they die
Feel the guilt
Fat_Hippo is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 12:39 PM       
And when the dog shits in your yard, don't collect it in a paper bag next time. Get a shovel and fling it right back. It's easier, much more fun, and maybe it'll even get your neighbors to stop. That's what I did anyway when the neighbors dog shit in my yard.
He speaks truth!
hAS RUG-BURN
Evil Robot is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 06:03 PM       
Have your child instigate a fight at school in which the neighbors child is the victim, this will ensure a healthy amount of bruising on the child. Next, take several pictures of them in different positions and send them to me. I will photoshop one to look like the father is hitting the child and send it back to you. You will then forward the photo to child protective services and tell them this is a regular occurence.

With any luck they will find something real to arest the parents for once they start looking, probably drugs.
Fuzzball
XtinaxFan is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM       
I suggest painting a pentagram or upside down cross on your driveway and playing a lot of norwegian black metal or good ol' fashioned Cannibal Corpse - loudly. Do it in the afternoon so they can't complain about the noise.
Seriously though - if you have a letter slot on your front door write in permanent marker on your mailbox "post mail through front door please" to stop it being tampered with.
They sound like real bastards, if you are /can get friendly with people living next door to your neighbours ask if they are bothered by them too, if they are get them to complain to your landlord as well - adds more weight.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 07:30 PM       
Yep, the landlord owns the entire duplex, but he tends to only show up when someone's moving out. I haven't seen/spoken with him in almost a year.

Fat_Hippo: You know, I did consider that, but at that point they'd just moved in and I was trying to stay fairly friendly. I felt like flinging the piles at their back door (and believe me, it STUNK)

Unfortunately, this end of the street is a cavalcade of rednecks. From the looks of the place on the other side of them, that family is much the same. The people across the street take their garbage to the curb as it comes, so they've got a perpetual mound of garbage that sits out all week. The people a few doors down park their pickup truck over the sidewalk when there's PLENTY of room on their driveway (I'm disabled and it's SUCH a pain in the ass to have to cross into the street to get around it...the sidewalks are public property, dammit).

It's a shame, because it is a really nice duplex with a big backyard, close to all of the things I need to be able to get to easily. The neighbors before these were bad, but not as bad...at least they kept to themselves. I knew these people were going to be trouble when they moved in and the woman started spreading her "yard art" all over our side of the driveway (her husband made her move it, it seems).

I just wish people had the common courtesy (not to mention the common SENSE) to separate the concepts of "ours" vs. "someone else's".
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 08:07 PM       
Sounds like you are in a bad neighborhood. I was gonna sugest somethings to help rid you of these people, but it sounds like they would just be replaced by other shitheads. I think your best course of action is to get the hell out of there.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 08:55 PM       
By the sounds of things there isn't much you can do. If your landlord isn't interested and the tenants themselves fail to listen to reason or employ any basic parenting skills you're kind of up shit creek.

All you can really do is talk to them and see if they can at least sort out some of the worst problems - like your mail being stolen. If you lower yourself to their level and start trying to piss them off back, they'll most probably use their extensive experience in being asshole neighbours and make your life much worse.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
Yep, the landlord owns the entire duplex, but he tends to only show up when someone's moving out. I haven't seen/spoken with him in almost a year.
One thing you can do is take pictures of your neighbor's visibly disgusting (and illegal) habits, photocopy your copy of the lease, highlight the areas where the lease is being broken by the next-door tenants and send it all to the landlord with a nice letter about how you really like the place, but you can't keep putting up with the current shenanigans going on next door. If you're a good tenant (pay rent on time, usually works for most douchebags) he'll delve a bit deeper into things.

If you're certain he still won't do anything, try sending the kit and kaboodle to a good landlord/tenant lawyer. I know you'll have to look for other living accommodations, but it sounds as if this might be unavoidable in any event.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 03:18 AM       
You haven't been here very long kitsa so I don't think I am overstating the fact that I don't really know you. That being said, the idea that some punk is stealing your mail fills me with outrage!

If possible you may want to seriously consider moving somewhere else, somewhere that isn't a duplex. I've never lived in a duplex myself but my dad owned a few way back when. The tenants where so bad they ended up putting are family in a financial hole that would last for years to come.
hAS RUG-BURN
Evil Robot is probably a spambot
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 04:08 AM       
I'm not joking about making the photoshopped abuse picture. A valid option? I'll let you sleep on it. Just keep in mind that your neighbors could be commiting crimes on the other side of your living room wall. There could be, and probably is, a meth lab less than ten feet from your precious daughter.

I understand my methods might seem rash, but what is important to you, your daughters innocence, or the daughter of an innocent man who happens to be a dick head?

I say you should help me,... help you.

Sincerely,
Evil Robot

PS, PM me, we have slander to attend to.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 07:15 AM       
You should do as the Colonel suggests to start with. If your landlord fails to comply and lay down the law, you have to go to the courts next and set up an escrow with them and pay your rent there. The courts will then send a letter to your landlord telling them your rent is being held in escrow until he lives up to the rules of the lease. If you have a lawyer they should set it up in short order for you. I know they can be expensive, does your job offer prepaid legal? If it does, you might want to get into that, they are made for just this sort of thing.

As for your mail, if your local postmaster does nothing, I recommend you go over his head to his boss. If he does nothing, go over his head, and so on, and so on, until you get results. Might help if you anonymously inform the news that there is mail theft and the postmaster is doing nothing about it. If there's one thing the media loves, it's bad publicity about something. And if there's one thing the USPS hates, it's bad publicity about themselves.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM       
We evicted a tenant after the neighbors called me (on vacation, that was fun) and told me she and her boyfriend broke a window during a fight at 2AM, with the cops showing up and hauling him off to the slam for abuse. Up to this point we knew none of this. We acted within the month, inspecting the damage (which she lied about) and looking over the other, ancillary damage to the property. We took a financial hit on this (evicting someone costs money, and you can't deduct it on your taxes), but we won the respect of the neighborhood.

I hope your landlord will view it the same way.
Zombie Basher
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM       
Also, take a look at this. If you have the skills, time and money, this will take care of the kid, dog, AND any other kids that get on your lawn, and it's 100% legal!
http://www.waterhobo.com/
teacup of sunshine
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM       
That thing is excellent. I've seen motion-detector sprayers before, but taping the offenders was a fabulous touch.

You know, this neighborhood isn't actually bad...it's just this cluster of 3 or 4 duplexes. They're sandwiched between retirement houses (besides being cranky in general, they're not really a problem) and some nicer upscale homes at the beginning of the street. I think that, for the most part, when you have rentals you're going to have problems...mainly because people just don't give a shit.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 09:37 PM       
Do you stop hammering/drilling/working when they bang on the wall? If you do, stop doing that. If they have a problem let them come over and explain to them how full of shit they are. Then ask for all the mail they've stolen.
teacup of sunshine
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 09:50 PM       
That's what sucks...when it happens, we're so utterly astounded at the sheer ballsitude that we're startled into silence.

I think it's one of the kids stealing the mail, and I have no idea why. It's random...just sometimes I'll see him hanging out by our mailbox, and the next thing I know Netflix is telling me they never got my returns and are putting a hold on my account. I don't even know why he'd want them...I tend to watch weird foreign shit. We had some other issues with Netflix and eventually had to cancel it, which sucked.

The people before them were a pain in the ass (once, they left their hose on for so long they literally flooded the backyard....there was a puddle about 10' around and 4 or 5 inches deep!) but at least they mostly kept to themselves.
Fuck Yeah
McClain is probably a spambot
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 09:55 PM       
move up out of teh ghetto son dese bitches and hos gank yo shit less in teh suburbs
Last edited by Chojin : Jan 1st, 2000 at 12:01 AM.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:19 PM       
Can you replace your mailbox with a locking one? Whatever shape mailbox you have, they make one that needs a key to get into it. I do this everywhere I live and I always put my out going mail into one of those big blue street mailboxes. At least you'll be able to enjoy Netflix again and it will send a message to the neighbors.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:21 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
That's what sucks...when it happens, we're so utterly astounded at the sheer ballsitude that we're startled into silence.

I think it's one of the kids stealing the mail, and I have no idea why. It's random...just sometimes I'll see him hanging out by our mailbox, and the next thing I know Netflix is telling me they never got my returns and are putting a hold on my account. I don't even know why he'd want them...I tend to watch weird foreign shit. We had some other issues with Netflix and eventually had to cancel it, which sucked.

The people before them were a pain in the ass (once, they left their hose on for so long they literally flooded the backyard....there was a puddle about 10' around and 4 or 5 inches deep!) but at least they mostly kept to themselves.
May I ask why the former tenants (with the overactive hose) left? Did the landlord kick them out for property damage (standing water can create all sorts of nasty problems with foundations) or did he calmly just accept the rent money without so much as a blink until they decided they didn't want to live in a house with a perennially flooded basement? I'm guessing it was the latter, since he's already proven to be a douchebag.

What's your preference, are you leaning toward raising the white flag and moving on to a landlord who is less of a douchebag, are you going to gnash your teeth in silent frustration (is the rent really, really good?), or are you going to fight back and risk an all-out border war. Not that I'm advocating any position, but it might help to know which way you're leaning.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 11:46 PM       
Locking your mailbox and ignoring them when they bang on the wall are definitely the first steps you want to take.
Zombie Basher
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 12:32 AM       
Get one of your buddies to come over, and when they start making a din in the garage, bang on the wall and complain they're being loud when all you want to do is catch up to an old buddy. Eventually, they'll get the message. Bang on the wall every chance you get.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 12:57 AM       
No, it will go on forever. Just go about your business and let them wear themselves out banging on the wall. Just ignore them. If you retaliate, be prepared for a long battle. Plus you will lose the upper hand if it comes down to the land lord since you behaved improperly as well.