Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:20 AM        9/11 Mastermind Confesses to 9/11 and just about everything else, ever
Hey, who says torture doesn't work? So far, I've read this morning that Khalid Sheik Mohammed has confessed to masterminding 9/11, the beheading of Daniel Pearl, the Richard Reid shoe-bomb incident, an attempt to assassinate Jimmy Carter, and damn near everything except JFK.

Don't misunderstand- I'm not saying he was a good guy, or that he wasn't necessarily behind these things, but the dude has spent about 2 1/2 years in the CIA's secret prison system. I'll bet he has confessed to JFK.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM       
I like the part where they ask him if he confessed to any of these things under duress and his answer is blacked out.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:21 PM       
say what, now?

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:04 PM       
I don't doubt he was under some form of duress at various points over the last three years. But I don't think that had a single thing to do with his confessions.

I believe he overstated his role significantly, either to protect the people around him or is an egomaniac who wanted to portray himself as a more important figure than he really is.

Or a combonation of both. But I think his confessions had little to do with torture, whether it happened or not.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:08 AM       
That could well be. But that has no bearing on wether it's okay to torture people, hence the redaction, which is pretty much as good as an admission, because why would you redact "No, I got a room with a whirlpool tub and they put a mint on my pillow every night"

Hopefully they will prosecute him on what they have hard evidence that on no way relies on his confession, which is probably plenty. I wouldn't be surprised though if they can't resist taking it all at face value and saying "See? See who we caught? This guy didn't just do 9/11, he's like, responsible for EVERYTHING BAD! That's how great a job we did."

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:55 PM       
I haven't seen whomever "they" are say anything of the kind. In fact, I've seen a few official statements regarding the fact that the government's position is that his involvements are probably overstated.

And I made no allusion to whether torture is right or not. I simply stated that I'm not .05% convinced that said possibility of torture affected his "confessions". Im certain that there are people who've probably made confessions under duress to avoid maltreatment, but I don't believe this is one of those cases.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 10:17 AM       
Yeah, I mean if you're going to blow this way out of proportion, you might as well have fun with it the way Geggy does.

"I don't believe he did all these things, because I know he DIED two years ago!!! Geeeeegggy!"
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 10:30 PM       
Mastermind of USS Cole attack confesses

By PAULINE JELINEK, Associated Press Writer 8 minutes ago

A Yemeni portrayed as an al-Qaida operative and a member of a terrorist family confessed to plotting the bombings of the USS Cole and two U.S. embassies in Africa, killing hundreds, according to a Pentagon transcript of a Guantanamo Bay hearing.

The transcript released Monday was the fourth from the hearings the military is holding in private for 14 "high-value" terror suspects who were kept in secret CIA prisons before they were sent to the U.S. facility in Cuba last fall.

Last week, Waleed bin Attash said he helped plan the 1998 embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania that killed more than 200, according to the transcript. He also said he helped organize the 2000 attack on the USS Cole in which suicide bombers steered an explosives-laden boat into the guided-missile destroyer, killing 17 sailors.

"I participated in the buying or purchasing of the explosives," bin Attash said when asked what his role was in the attacks. "I put together the plan for the operation a year and a half prior to the operation, buying the boat and recruiting the members that did the operation."

Also alleged to have been Osama bin Laden's bodyguard at one time, bin Attash is in his late 20s and is a Yemeni who was born and raised in Saudi Arabia, authorities have said. Said to be an al-Qaida operational chief, bin Attash is known as Tawfiq bin Attash or Tawfiq Attash Khallada or simply Khallad. He was captured in 2003.

U.S. intelligence documents allege that bin Attash is a "scion of a prominent terrorist family" that includes his father, Mohammed, who was close to bin Laden, and younger brother Hassan, who has been held at Guantanamo since 2004, arriving at the age of 17.

Several brothers attended al-Qaida training camps in Afghanistan in the 1990s and two have been killed, one in a 2001 U.S. airstrike in Afghanistan, the U.S. says.

Bin Attash told a March 12 hearing that he met with the man who did the embassy bombings just a few hours before the operation took place, according to the transcript released by the Defense Department
"I was the link between Osama bin Laden and his deputy," Abu Ayyub al-Masri, bin Attash said. Al-Masri, also known as Abu Hamza al-Muhajer, took over the leadership of al-Qaida in Iraq after its leader, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, was killed in a U.S. airstrike last June.

Bin Attash also said he was with bin Laden when the Cole was attacked while refueling in Yemen's port of Aden.

Legal experts have criticized the U.S. decision to bar independent observers from the hearings, called combatant status review tribunals. Carl Tobias, a University of Richmond law professor, said "legitimate criticisms can be raised" about the confessions coming out of the hearings.

"Of course, no one's there to know, other than what we see from the transcripts and what the hearing officers hear," Tobias said.

"The claim has been that some of the confessions were extracted by torture or other activities that are inappropriate, and (there are) doubts about whether the detainees are telling the truth," he said.

Many have questioned the confession of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, also known as KSM, who claimed responsibility or partial responsibility for nearly three dozen plots including the 9/11 attacks on the U.S., according to transcripts of his March 10 hearing released last week.

Bruce Hoffman, a terrorism expert at Georgetown University, said he has been surprised by the skepticism over the transcripts released so far.

"It dovetails with what we know," Hoffman said of the reported confessions. "With KSM, this guy was the evil genius he describes. ... In terrorism, it's a matter of keeping lots of irons in the fire and it's whichever ones are coming to fruition that you go with."

The hearings are being held to determine whether the suspects should be declared "enemy combatants" who can be held indefinitely and prosecuted by military tribunals. If, as expected, the 14 are declared enemy combatants, they could then be charged and tried under the military commissions law signed by President Bush in October.

A federal judge in Virginia last Wednesday found the government of Sudan liable for the attack on the Cole in a lawsuit in which the sailors' relatives argued that al-Qaida could not have succeeded without the African nation providing a safe haven for bin Laden and financial support. No damage amount has yet been awarded.

Lorrie Triplett of Suffolk, Va., whose husband, Andrew, died in the Cole attack, said the confession is helpful to the families of the Cole sailors because it bolsters the case they made in court.

"In some ways, it could have been coerced, you know, they just want to just blame anybody, but it's the tip of the iceberg. It is more than just him," she said.

"The thing is, we want accountability from all levels, not just the foreign nationals who pulled off the attack, who masterminded the attack, but those who let it happen within our government as well," said Jamal Gunn, 26, of Virginia Beach, Va., whose brother, Cherone Gunn, was killed aboard the Cole. Gunn said the Cole should not have stopped in Yemen because that country was on a terrorist watch list.

In the late 1990s, bin Attash allegedly alternated between serving as bin Laden's bodyguard and fighting Afghanistan's Northern Alliance force. He lost his right leg in a battlefield accident in 1997, U.S. intelligence says.

Bin Attash helped choose the Sept. 11 hijackers and made two flights on U.S. airlines to assess in-flight security procedures, authorities allege. Bin Laden wanted bin Attash to be one of the hijackers on Sept. 11, but that plan was foiled when bin Attash was arrested in Yemen in April of that year and briefly imprisoned after attempting to get a U.S. visa.

Intelligence officials say that in the months before his 2003 arrest, he and others were close to executing a plot to simultaneously attack the U.S. consulate in Karachi, westerners at the airport and westerners living in the area.

The U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay opened five years ago, mostly with men captured from the war in Afghanistan. Roughly 385 prisoners are still held there and about 80 detainees are designated for release or transfer.
___
Associated Press reporter Sonja Barisic in Norfolk, Va., contributed to this report.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!