Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:37 PM        Legislative Evolution
There is a vast conspiracy by the government, big business and the media to control our private lives through economic oppression. Using bottom-line insurance costs as their argument, some businesses have already fired employees who smoke even in the privacy of their own homes and even when said employee was actually covered by her huband's insurance. Since a lot of people don't necessarily care for smokers, this went under the radar. Mark my words however, when I contend that job discrimination based on other factors of private life that, supposedly, affect insurace costs such as obesity, sexuality, ect aren't far behind. And so, what does this mean in the big picture? It means that those outcasts will be cut off from the economic world only to be a ward of the state and eventually wither away and die. The insurance companies and private enterprise are working together in this economic oppression in order to make way for a master race of perfect employees. I contend that the sad lot of those fired (or not hired) people will be much like that of an endangered species ... the spotted owl ... the dodo bird. My biggest fears are for the fate of a fat, lesbian smoker with a congenital heart condition.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:47 PM       
Welcome to corporate America.
Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:04 PM       
only the strong surivive....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasill
The same reason I don't hit kids, i'm not 100% sure thier mine.
Mocker

Old May 13th, 2005, 04:43 PM       
Although I am a member of this future race, I still have compassion for the little gay ... I mean guy. Who's looking out for you?

Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:22 PM       
Do what I do, tell 'em you don't smoke on the application, and if they ever notice you huffin through a pack a day, tell you just started. I mean really, what sort of gestapo operation keeps tabs on employee habits.

When I was working for DHI as the system admin, I'd smoke in the 'clean room' despite company policy to the contrary and never saw any flack from it. Hell, a few times the owner would smoke with me and shoot the shit. My life experiences suggest to me that when someone is fired by means of bullshit technicalities, its generally because they are just really not wanted and its the best justification that can be drummed up.

Raize is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:43 AM       
I smoke. If I get fired "because of it" it's actually because my lame ass doesn't get the crap done that they want. I have a feeling my boss isn't too happy about it, but fuck, I take two 15 minute breaks per day to smoke. That's 30 minutes that I'm not doing shit. Other employees spend an hour shopping online or IMing their lesbian lovers.

If they fire me over smoking, it's probably because they don't want me working there. And if they don't want me working there, I probably don't want to be there anyway. I just hope they have the decency to let me resign over it, rather than having to tell a future employer they fired me because I smoke.
Mocker

Old May 17th, 2005, 05:14 PM       
Consider this, though. The specific state of which I speak is Michigan which has an "at will" firing policy. This means that, unless you are under the protection of a union, your employer can fire you at their discretion and not have to tell you the reason for which they're firing you. Such was this case, except the person in question learned the motives behind her firing.

On the whole, I agree with your guy's initial assessment. If they want you out, they'll find a way.