Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Sethomas Sethomas is offline
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Abstruse Caboose
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:20 AM       
Eugenics is pretty much inevitable, though, once the technology catches up with us.

And yeah, there's a huge demand for children in the adoption corner.
__________________

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Reply With Quote
  #27  
glowbelly glowbelly is offline
my baby's mama
glowbelly's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: cleveland
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:46 AM       
are you guys saying that all unwanted pregnancies should be carried to term and then the resulting babies be given up for adoption?
__________________
porn is just babies as work-in-progress
Reply With Quote
  #28  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 10:00 AM       
But I thought we were talking about babies that were inevitably going to be "unloved"?

Teenage sex and pregnancy rates, as well as abortion rates, are down because people don't want to prematurely have unwanted babies.

I'll repeat, for example-- If you don't want a baby, and you are on your THIRD abortion, then you need to rethink your behavior.

I understand the arguement to keep abortion legal now. I also understand the need to promote sex education and condoms and stuff. I get that.

But if so many people seem to think that abortion is basically a "necessary evil," then why can't we discuss it as a bad thing? Don't even necessary evils deserve some scrutiny?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Daphne Daphne is offline
Senior Member
Daphne's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 'Toon Town Canada
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 04:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Because people who oppose abortion are merely "fundamentalist types," and those who are, for example, having their THIRD abortion are perfectly rational.

Sounds like a balanced argument to me.
Oh ok, but to you the first and second one are ok? That makes absolutely no sense.
It's very VERY dangerous to put 'legal but only under the condition that etc. etc' stipulations on things like this.

Perhaps you might be opposed to it morally (which makes no sense to me, if you're not bothered by the first two abortions...) and that's your right, of course but I thought you were someone who knew about science and therefore should know better.

Are you against the morning after pill?

Do you have a vagina? Are you ever going to have a baby? I'm not saying this to say you have no right to an opinion, but how would you like it if I argued that getting hit in the balls feels good? I don't have balls, so how could I POSSIBLY RELATE to how that feels?

And Kelly, nice fucking work in this thread.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:08 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne
Oh ok, but to you the first and second one are ok? That makes absolutely no sense.
It's very VERY dangerous to put 'legal but only under the condition that etc. etc' stipulations on things like this.

Perhaps you might be opposed to it morally (which makes no sense to me, if you're not bothered by the first two abortions...)
I believe I already said I'm against it.

Quote:
are you against the morning after pill?
Personally, or as policy? There's a difference, but it's a subtle difference that zealots such as yourself probably don't get.

Quote:
Do you have a vagina? Are you ever going to have a baby? I'm not saying this to say you have no right to an opinion, but how would you like it if I argued that getting hit in the balls feels good? I don't have balls, so how could I POSSIBLY RELATE to how that feels?

And Kelly, nice fucking work in this thread.
YEAH, WAY TO GO BUD, GO TEAM!! :ABORTION!

I'm glad you commented, because I think you highlight my point. I think that if you think most Americans think abortion is a great method of contraception, then I think you are out of step with the very rational and moderate view that most Americans hold on abortion. I think the difference between you and the fundamentalists mentioned by kelly is that the latter knows that they're fundamentalists.

As for your balls/vagina comparison, I think it's not entirely relevant. You have no role in me getting prostate cancer, or getting kicked in the balls (other than being the potential kicker). Is your argument seriously that abortion and birth is only a woman's entitlement to discuss, because she encounters the discomfort? Maybe I'm ignorant here, is getting an abortion similar to going to a spa?????
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Daphne Daphne is offline
Senior Member
Daphne's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 'Toon Town Canada
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:20 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore

Personally, or as policy? There's a difference, but it's a subtle difference that zealots such as yourself probably don't get.
Zealot?! You're a fucking goofball. I said you have a right to your opinion, and I don't CARE if you're pro-life! I just think that you need to realize that it's something you can never go through, and maybe you should think about that. Walk in someone else's shoes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
YEAH, WAY TO GO BUD, GO TEAM!! :ABORTION!

I'm glad you commented, because I think you highlight my point. I think that if you think most Americans think abortion is a great method of contraception, then I think you are out of step with the very rational and moderate view that most Americans hold on abortion. I think the difference between you and the fundamentalists mentioned by kelly is that the latter knows that they're fundamentalists.

As for your balls/vagina comparison, I think it's not entirely relevant. You have no role in me getting prostate cancer, or getting kicked in the balls (other than being the potential kicker). Is your argument seriously that abortion and birth is only a woman's entitlement to discuss, because she encounters the discomfort? Maybe I'm ignorant here, is getting an abortion similar to going to a spa?????
You are seriously a fucking idiot, Kevin. I in NO WAY think that abortion is a day at the spa, and I especially think that people who look at it as a method of contraception are abhorrent (even if it's their body and not my problem).

It might surprise you to learn that I am actually personally against abortion. I think that it's awful and it's something that I, again personally would never do. HOWEVER. I am not every woman, and I can not speak for them. Just because I can look at things from another point of view is no reason to be a shit head.

On second thoughts, perhaps your mom should have done the coat hanger mambo when she was pregnant with you, and spared us all from having to read your arrogant assumptions.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:29 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne
I just think that you need to realize that it's something you can never go through, and maybe you should think about that. Walk in someone else's shoes.
I've never had an abortion, nor will I ever. So using your logic, I should never advocate abortion, because I don't understand the pain and psychological damage it could result in, right? Does "walking in someone else's shoes" apply across the board, or only for your arguement?


Quote:
It might surprise you to learn that I am actually personally against abortion. I think that it's awful and it's something that I, again personally would never do. HOWEVER. I am not every woman, and I can not speak for them. Just because I can look at things from another point of view is no reason to be a shit head.
Precisely, just like everybody is. "I oppose abortion, but..."

Abortion is down. Teenage pregnancy is down. Sex. Ed. is up, and has been a success. So WHEN do we start removing the "but," especially since we're all apparently against abortion!!??

Quote:
On second thoughts, perhaps your mom should have done the coat hanger mambo when she was pregnant with you, and spared us all from having to read your arrogant assumptions.
Perhaps I should sponsor your psychotic rants, and give the money to Pro-Life groups. Then maybe you'll go away. It seems to work for PP.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Daphne Daphne is offline
Senior Member
Daphne's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 'Toon Town Canada
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:40 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
I've never had an abortion, nor will I ever. So using your logic, I should never advocate abortion, because I don't understand the pain and psychological damage it could result in, right? Does "walking in someone else's shoes" apply across the board, or only for your arguement?
Thanks for putting words in my mouth! I love that! They tasted great!
As far as 'never' goes, are you quite sure a girlfriend or fiancee etc of yours never will? Can you say for sure you'll always feel this way no matter what?



Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Precisely, just like everybody is. "I oppose abortion, but..."

Abortion is down. Teenage pregnancy is down. Sex. Ed. is up, and has been a success. So WHEN do we start removing the "but," especially since we're all apparently against abortion!!??
You can't remove the but. Life isn't black or white. I'm sorry you don't see eye to eye, and I'm sorry that you never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Perhaps I should sponsor your psychotic rants, and give the money to Pro-Life groups. Then maybe you'll go away. It seems to work for PP.
YES! I'M SO PSYCHOTIC! EXCELLENT DIAGNOSIS DR. KEVIN! I'M GOING TO BOMB SEX ED CLASSES AND HAND OUT COAT HANGERS! GOBBLE GOBBLE!


Oh well, I live in a country that isn't run but religious nutters so I don't know why I'm worrying anyway
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 07:55 PM       
I'm glad you don't live here, either. We have enough morons.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Daphne Daphne is offline
Senior Member
Daphne's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 'Toon Town Canada
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 08:18 PM       
I can see that!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 08:24 PM       
zing! Take my wife, please!

(and while you're at it, let's get her an abortion!)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Dr. Boogie Dr. Boogie is offline
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Help, I'm lost!
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:24 PM       
Interesting side note: my sister's boyfriend is actually the poster child for abortion.
__________________
Dr. Boogie: Everything is so simple when you have a rocket launcher for an arm!


Reply With Quote
  #38  
sadie sadie is offline
ineffable
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: ineffability
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:11 AM       
this page made me lol.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Chojin Chojin is offline
was never good
Chojin's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 1999
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 01:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Isn't the saying from the 90's keep abortion safe, available, and seldom???
This is also the same thing I hear about eating at McDonalds.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

   


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 AM.


© 2008 I-Mockery.com
Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.