Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:20 PM        US Cultural Imperialism Really Takes the Cookie
Does this article piss you off as much as it does me?

http://smh.com.au/news/heckler/us-cu...098401587.html

US cultural imperialism really takes the cookie
Email Print Normal font Large font By Charlie Henry
March 14, 2006

Literacylevels are declining. Literacy involves not just the ability to read and write but to comprehend. Teaching methods developed in America result in people being able to read but not comprehend words.

This is a major cause of the breakdown in communication in our society as individuals become more alienated. Thus, Australia continues down the road to becoming the 51st state of America.

Changes in language reflect changes in society. Seemingly subtle or inconsequential changes become of qualitative significance when viewed in their sum total. The Americanisation of our language reflects the Americanisation of our society. The introduction of sterile euphemisms and the demise of our vernacular reflect an increasingly conformist, bland and sterile Australia. These changes are unconsciously accepted by people and thereby are subtly introduced to the public domain.

Word by word, phrase by phrase, American cultural imperialism robs us of any remaining sovereignty. American English is an illiterate, bastardised dialect. Verbs are used for nouns. Phrases and words are rendered incomprehensible for the sake of so-called political correctness. Australia's sovereignty is further compromised through the loss of quintessentially Australian language.

Computer jargon creeps into everyday usage. "Access" becomes a verb, while "programme" is contracted.

Sport - the latter-day opiate of the masses - plays a crucial role in mangling English. To comment on becomes "commentate". Swimming lessons/squads/teams become "swim" lessons/squads/teams, etc. Carnivals or meetings become "meets". Attack and defence become "offence" and "dee-fence". Batsmen and fieldsmen in cricket become "batters" and "fielders" in defiance of the official wording of the rules.

Logic is lost when American usages are accepted. An apartment is literally a single room. A billion is a million to the power of two (bi-), just as a trillion is a million to the power of three (tri-).

Business groans under the weight of Americanisation. Barmaids and barmen become "bartenders". Bills become "checks". Biscuits become "cookies". Chips become "fries". Cupcakes become "muffins". Lifts become "elevators". Pubs become "bars". Takeaway becomes "takeout". Toilets become places of rest. Trainees become "interns". Until becomes "thru". "Message", "network" and "text" become verbs. Research becomes "ree-search". One "grows" one's business rather than building it.

In the public sector, railway stations become "train stations". A lieutenant becomes one who resides in a toilet. Social security becomes "welfare". Footpaths become "sidewalks".

Changes in language reflect broader social problems. Economic pressures on individuals are exacerbated by an inability to express oneself. One result of this is the increasing incidence of various forms of rage as society implodes.

It is not OK.

Readers are invited to apply wit to anything that makes the blood boil. Send 600 words, with day and evening phone numbers, to heckler@smh.com.au. Submissions may be edited and published on the internet.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:26 AM       
no, not really. looks like some aussie cunt is getting a bit uppity because she doesn't understand such concepts as regional language, adapted use, and lexicological evolution.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:36 AM       
That article is hilarious. She says that not only American words, but Ameican pronunciation is leading to rage in Australia. That is pure gold, despite no mention of "freedom Fries."

Also, I'm pretty sure that America had nothing to do with changes to the language of cricket.

=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 01:00 AM       
I agree with her that the Aussie dialect should remain pure to it's roots like that of it's parent dialect: Ye Olde British.

It would be much nicer for me if I couldn't have understood a word she was saying.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:51 AM        Re: US Cultural Imperialism Really Takes the Cookie
I don't think it's a chick, guys.

And that article made me want to kill someone.
I'm going to sleep.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 10:20 AM       
I could read that article. But I couldn't comprehend it.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 11:16 AM       
Everyone knows Canada is the 51st state. Australia is our Disneyland:Kangaroo Edition. :duh
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:28 PM       
This article is stupid. Languages change and evolve all the time. If something new is invented, we create a new word for it. Slang becomes accepted as the norm over time. If language didn't change, we'd all be say "ye" and "thou" still.

Besides, who are the Australians to claim that their version of English is better than anyone elses, what with all the "wallybungaloo" and "fozzawanger" crap that they say.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:50 PM       
G'DAY, MATE! PUT SOME SHRIMP ON BARBIE! THA'S NOT A KNOIF! THIS IS A KNOIF! OIM THE CROCODILE 'HUNTER! G'DAY! G'DAY! ME GREAT GRANDPARENTS WAS CRIMINALS SO WIN WE GOT HERE WE EXTERMINATED THE ABOS! G'DAY!
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:59 PM       
It's a damn shame there isn't anywhere on the news website to offer comments.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 01:27 PM       
"I see you've played the old 'knifie-spoonie' before."

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:12 PM       
The good points of this article:

"Literacy involves not just the ability to read and write but to comprehend. Teaching methods developed in America result in people being able to read but not comprehend words."

Very true. most people i know are completely unable to comprehend the idea of 'new' words without a dictionary. Why? The english language is built in a way that you can understand any word by just it's roots. I constantly guess what words mean, and I'm usually right. I know that's not necessarily what she meant, but it's a part of it.

"Changes in language reflect changes in society. Seemingly subtle or inconsequential changes become of qualitative significance when viewed in their sum total."

Also true. Language is practically a logical map of the culture/society, an example could be seen in Law in which it is basically a logical compilation. Also, if you think of Richard Dawkins and his talk of "memes" or "memetics" you can also see an interesting connotation.
Besides that, the words, languages and social motivations we decide to focus on imbed themselves in our subconscious. the easiest way I can explain this is that everything you do, think and believe effects you and your future-- and if it didn't why would you choose to do it? An example; a person who develops an interest in the word "Shizzle" might also gain an interest in the word "Crizzle", and later perhaps hip hop or whatever. I like ridiculous examples.
More specifically, a person who attaches themselves to stupid idealogies(or stupid language models) might find themselves adopting other equally or more stupid idealogies and performing associated stupid actions.

An interesting read on language is Alfred Korzybski who writes about "General Semantics". Also, you could consider looking up E-prime which is basically English formatted in a logical way. E-prime doesn't allow the usage of "to be" verbs. Why? Well sir, you find out!
http://www.nobeliefs.com/eprime.htm I don't endorse that link, but it seems pretty solid from the first paragraph.

Everything else was fucking stupid.

Also my kitten is having kittens.