Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 08:15 PM       
really, let's gay-up this thread a bit more by arguing about the proper use of slang.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:30 AM       
guys I'm offended...
Pharaoh is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:48 AM       
Well, not surprisingly the editor of the French newspaper, France Soir, who dared to stand up for freedom of speech, has now been sacked for offending Muslims. Oh well, at least he tried.

Extract from yesterday's France Soir:

It is necessary to crush once again the infamous thing, as Voltaire liked to say. This religious intolerance that accepts no mockery, no satire, no ridicule. We citizens of secular and democratic societies are summoned to condemn a dozen caricatures judged offensive to Islam. Summoned by who? By the Muslim Brotherhood, by Syria, the Islamic Jihad, the interior ministers of Arab countries, the Islamic Conferences - all paragons of tolerance, humanism and democracy.

So, we must apologise to them because the freedom of expression they refuse, day after day, to each of their citizens, faithful or militant, is exercised in a society that is not subject to their iron rule. It's the world upside down. No, we will never apologise for being free to speak, to think and to believe.

Because these self-proclaimed doctors of law have made this a point of principle, we have to be firm. They can claim whatever they like but we have the right to caricature Muhammad, Jesus, Buddha, Yahve and all forms of theism. It's called freedom of expression in a secular country ...

For centuries the Catholic church was little better than this fanaticism. But the French Revolution solved that, rendering to God that which came from him and to Caesar what was due to him.

Link here
imported_I, fuzzbot. is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:14 AM       
France Soir is owned by an Egyptian, Ramy Lakah.

Here's further proof of the fact that not all Arabs are against freedom of speech and the like.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:51 AM       
Yes but Ramy Lakah is a Christian, fuzzbot. Try again.

Link here
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:19 AM       
Like that fucking matters, right? Islam has nothing to do with freedom of speech. It's called being lead by a "totalitarian regime." Argentina used to kidnap and torture people if they spoke out against the government in the early 70's, was that because they're Muslim? You're just blaming it on Islam because you're too lazy and stupid to look up other causes.

In Swaziland, you'll most likely get killed if you speak out against the King. Christianity is their official religion. Do you see anyone blaming Christianity for their lack of free speech? Because this is exactly what you're doing.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:56 AM       
Fusspot, I agree, Islam has got nothing to do with freedom of speech.

Artistic representations of the human form are forbidden in Islam, and pictures of Muhammad are especially taboo. Right? In the West, however, satire is accepted and you can make caricatures of anyone. So Muslims here are demanding special treatment, and we shouldn't give in to them, if they don't like it they should leave. Why should we change our way of life to suit Muslims?
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 09:23 AM       
Those cartoons are fucking shit.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:59 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
if they don't like it they should leave. Why should we change our way of life to suit Muslims?
I already said this in my previous post.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:10 AM       
Reprinting these comics isn't about free speech; it's about trying to increase the ratings of a newspaper that has been tanking for quite a while. Now others are copying it because they saw that it actually worked and sold a few more papers.

Looks like you're the only one who really cares around here, Pharoah.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:13 PM       
"The European fightback against reactionary Muslim bigots has started."

NOW you're on my radar, Pharoah! What the HELL is that sentence about? Who are you, KlammyKat?

Oh, and did you ever say what buying Danish meant? Does this mean you were buying Muslim products and now you're going to vote with your money and start buying Danish products instead?
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:35 PM       
mbutwank, there is nothing wrong with that sentence. You seem to have some sort of problem with your reading, maybe you need new glasses. It's all that wanking I'm afraid, it makes you go blind.

And it's quite simple, when I fancy a bacon sandwich I'll buy Danish bacon and Lurpack butter, and when I next go to the pub I'll have a pint of Carlsberg Export. I've never heard of any Muslim products, apart from suicide bombs, so there'll be no change there.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:59 PM       
What is a 'fightback'?

Is it like war? As in "Let loose the dogs of fightback?"

Is it resistance? Like the French Fightback during WWII?

Is it backlash? As in Liberalism inevitably invited a fightback?

Or did you just not put a space between fight and back. Ifg so when you fight against something, you are already fighting back.

Oh, and when you called me 'butwank', you really let the fightback begin.

Message boards are written communication. A post is measured by the quality of it's writing. I didn't expect you to get so upset over a little fightback.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:38 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
What is a 'fightback'?

Is it like war? As in "Let loose the dogs of fightback?"

Is it resistance? Like the French Fightback during WWII?

Is it backlash? As in Liberalism inevitably invited a fightback?

Or did you just not put a space between fight and back. Ifg so when you fight against something, you are already fighting back.

Oh, and when you called me 'butwank', you really let the fightback begin.

Message boards are written communication. A post is measured by the quality of it's writing. I didn't expect you to get so upset over a little fightback.
I'm not sure I get your point, butwank, you're weird. It's a counter-attack, and I've seen it written fight back or fightback, used in the same way I did, by the BBC and all the quality papers here.

BBC
The Times
The Telegraph
The Independent

Why don't you send a letter of complaint to them? I'm sure they'll have a good laugh at it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:20 PM       
You're just sore because the sun set on your empire.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:13 PM       
I don't mind the sun going down on our empire but I don't want Britain or Europe to return to the Dark Ages with only the crescent moon of Islam lighting our way.

I actually admire the freedom of speech you have in the USA, and I'm interested in what would happen if an American newspaper had printed those cartoons. Would the Muslims there have caused such a fuss about it and would there be any apology from the newspaper? Would there ever be a law passed to stop it happening again?
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:16 PM       
Or maybe it is your constant grammar corrections. Give it a rest. I'm sure I'm not suppose to start a sentence with 'or'. Someone please bore me with an english lesson on a message board so I never make such a terrible mistake again.
Mocker
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:51 PM       
Quote:
I actually admire the freedom of speech you have in the USA
Um...that we don't have here? been censored or oppressed lately?
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:23 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole
Quote:
I actually admire the freedom of speech you have in the USA
Um...that we don't have here? been censored or oppressed lately?
Are you kidding? You may not have noticed but, while you've been smoking your pot, the leader of the British National Party, Nick Griffin, has been on trial for using words intended or likely to stir up racial hatred. He was secretly recorded at a private meeting saying 'Islam is a wicked religion' and describing Britain as a 'multi-racial hellhole', and he faced up to seven years in prison if found guilty.
He was found not guilty but he's now facing a retrial on two further charges after the judge discharged the jury.

The likes of you may have freedom of speech, but anyone that objects to Britain being completely multiracial and multicultural certainly doesn't.
Mocker
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:42 PM       
Poor old Nick Griffin. My heart bleeds for the poor, oppressed cunt, who has been found not guilty of inciting racial hatred.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:53 PM       
Pharoah, on something of a tangent, what is your opinion of Mr. Griffin and his party?
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:16 PM       
BREAKING NEWS

No it isn't

YES IT IS

No it isn't

TECHNICALLY IT IS

No it isn't

IT'S BEEN REVISITED, IT'S NEW

No it isn't

I ASSUMED NO ONE HERE KNEW

Okay

GET THESE MEN ON CROSSFIRE!
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:07 PM       
There wouldn't be a story here if Islamic soveriegn nations were encouraging personal freedoms. I understand though. The Arab press is filled with supposedly satirical cartoons about Jews every day that I find offensive..... I just wonder why CAIR doesn't have a problem with that, or with fascism in general. That's really the issue, and that's why there's even a fuss at all about this.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:54 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
Pharoah, on something of a tangent, what is your opinion of Mr. Griffin and his party?
Well, they provide a voice for the white working class poor who live in high immigration areas. No other party sticks up for them and the police are so hampered by political correctness that they are now useless in fighting ethnic minority criminal gangs there.

I voted for Tony Blair last election but I feel now that he's repressing freedom of speech here in an attempt to get Muslims on his side. And I have sympathy for the BNP because it gets so much harassment, such as police surveillance, arrests of its leadership, seizures of party literature, interference with its bank accounts, and attempts to fire its members from public-sector employment.

I still don't agree with all their views, such as their opposition to the Iraq war, but I think Nick Griffin has improved them in recent years. So I would consider voting for them now, especially after this last court case.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:12 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdxxxx
The Arab press is filled with supposedly satirical cartoons about Jews every day that I find offensive....
You don't even speak Arabic you fucking numbnuts, what if the caption said: LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR?

Find me an example of these cartoons.

NOW.