Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 11:00 AM        The Lost Art of the Family Film
Why is it that people can't make good family films any more?

I think it was around 1995 when they all turned shit. Before that there was all kinds of good stuff like Mrs. Doubtfire, Home alone 1/2, Honey I shrunk/blew-up/killed the kid/s, National Lampoon's Vacation. Even obviously dreadful films were pretty awesome (Kindergarten Cop/Sister Act).

These days it's all stuff like Cheaper by the Dozen 1/2/3/4/5/... Are We there Yet? and other gay shit.

I don't even think it's just the rose tinted spectacles of nostalgia that make me believe pre-1995 films are better because I still enjoy them when I watch them today.
Insane Writer
ZeldaQueen is probably a spambot
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 03:54 PM       
It just seems like if it's targeting a family audience, they feel the need to shove in a bunch of stupid/gross/over the top jokes.

Like the movie RV. I had no desire to see that movie, but my two friends decided we would watch it (I voted for Hoot!, but they overruled me).

Just seems to me that these days, movies aren't any good unless they're somehow based off of a comic or a book or some previously existing thing. Like the movie industry is incapable of coming up with innovative new ideas.

Oh yeah, and add "Disaster Movie"/"Epic Movie"/"Dance Movie"/etc to your list as well.
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 06:47 PM       
Kids are dumb now. I blame the internet.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 06:50 PM       
What are you guys? 50 years old?
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 02:06 PM       
I thinks it has more to do with the quality of actors and directors now days. They have the notion that you get one big success and your set for life and dont even have to try anymore. They, for the most part, dont try to play or become the roll for the movie; they play themselves as that roll. Standing next to a lot of the actors today even ole' Arnold looks like one of the best actors of all time.
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 06:53 PM       
There are still good family movies, but the live-action family comedies of the last decade or so are definitely not as funny as the ones MM mentioned.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 03:08 AM       
But there have been a lot of good animated family movies in the early 2000s right? Starting with such as Toy Story, which was like what, 98? and then the Shrek franchise and a bunch of other ones that seem to all be pretty decent. Personally I'm not a big fan of a lot of them, but they're generally considered to be pretty good right?
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 03:20 AM       
My family just watched Step Brothers together. It was great. Maybe your family sucks MM.
Insane Writer
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 08:08 AM       
Definitely personal opinion plays in.

For example, my family and I went to see "Tales of Desperaux" over the Christmas break. All the kids there seemed to enjoy it very much. My family and I thought that it didn't make sense in some parts (like the vegetable chef) and that it seemed a bit scary for a child towards the end.
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 11:26 PM       
Coraline!

Everyone go see Coraline.
Nona F. Mecklenburg
Big McLargehuge is probably a spambot
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 02:23 PM       
nostalgia is a terrible filter to view things through. i remember some horrible pre-1995 family movies.
Insane Writer
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 09:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
nostalgia is a terrible filter to view things through. i remember some horrible pre-1995 family movies.
Well of course. Look at that "Christmas in Connecticut", the version that Arnold Schwartzenager directed.
Title
Jeff The Ninja is probably a spambot
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 02:06 AM       
what about "Night at the Museum". I thought that movie was pretty fun to watch and its a good family film. The problem is that most filmmakers have lost the desire to make good family-friendly fare. And the ones that do are the ones who have no problem with putting Eddie Murphy in 7 roles, each the same character only wearing different costumes and with a funny voice on each.

Founder of the E.P.O.A.E.P.I.C.A.P.H.W.H. Looking for Recruits

XBL Gamertag: KING HATESTAR
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 08:24 PM       
Ben Stiller is an ape who should be dead
mmmm....custom user title
TheBigMan045 is probably a spambot
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 09:24 PM       
If you want really good family entertainment watch the Goonies, ah good times
See, there's three kinds of people: dicks, pussies, and assholes. Pussies think everyone can get along, and dicks just want to fuck all the time without thinking it through. But then you got your assholes. And all the assholes want us to shit all over everything! So, pussies may get mad at dicks once in a while, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes. And if they didn't fuck the assholes, you know what you'd get? You'd get your dick and your pussy all covered in shit!
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 09:33 PM       
Did the conversation here confuse you?
mmmm....custom user title
TheBigMan045 is probably a spambot
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 09:43 PM       
no just following on from what other people have been saying, maybe i didnt make myself clear, what i meant to say is that The Goonies although an older movie is much better than some of the sacks of crap that they claim are family movies eg RV, Haunted Mansion, etc
See, there's three kinds of people: dicks, pussies, and assholes. Pussies think everyone can get along, and dicks just want to fuck all the time without thinking it through. But then you got your assholes. And all the assholes want us to shit all over everything! So, pussies may get mad at dicks once in a while, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes. And if they didn't fuck the assholes, you know what you'd get? You'd get your dick and your pussy all covered in shit!
DON'T F WITH ME
HickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 09:59 PM       
I just watched Paul Blart: Mall Cop and thought it was quiet funny. Yeah they had some low quality fat/fart jokes, but if I had a kid I'd be happy to take him or her to go see it. Also, I think we're forgetting all those great Pixar movies that are kid oriented but have a lot of humor in it aimed towards adults. Not necessarily adult humor, but things that might go over a kids head. That's why good nostalgic movies are so good, we watch them now and catch things that as a child we would of missed.
Forum Virgin
raoul duke is probably a spambot
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM       
it is a lost art if hacks push this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yie5-...eature=related

gags
Insane Writer
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 10:17 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff The Ninja View Post
what about "Night at the Museum". I thought that movie was pretty fun to watch and its a good family film. The problem is that most filmmakers have lost the desire to make good family-friendly fare. And the ones that do are the ones who have no problem with putting Eddie Murphy in 7 roles, each the same character only wearing different costumes and with a funny voice on each.
I didn't find Night at the Museum too bad. The retired/fired security guard subplot was handled a bit weirdly and they went slightly overboard with the monkey peeing on Stiller, but other than that it was pretty good.

I really liked Madagascar and Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa. Especially King Julius (Sasha Baron Cohen automatically = teh win )
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 09:53 PM       
I really liked Madagascar 1, didn't like Madagascar 2 as much. Night at the museum was a great movie. Ben still is okay but I really liked Mickey Rooney and Dick Van Dyke in it. Mickey Rooney's lines were classic: "Let's dance hot dog!"

Night at the museum 2 is coming out pretty soon. Hopefully it will be as good. It looks like it's going to have everyone in it except Rooney and Van Dyke...
Title
Jeff The Ninja is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 11:57 PM       
That sucks, Dick Van Dyke was one of the best parts of the movie. It was like most of the actors in that film had just had a lot of fun making it.

Also, anyone who thinks space buddies is quality entertainment should be euthanised to prevent their idiot genes from tainting the gene pool. If they already have children, re-education is the only answer.

Founder of the E.P.O.A.E.P.I.C.A.P.H.W.H. Looking for Recruits

XBL Gamertag: KING HATESTAR
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:52 AM       
5 more days until Coraline!

Are you excited? I am!
Insane Writer
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost View Post
I really liked Madagascar 1, didn't like Madagascar 2 as much. Night at the museum was a great movie. Ben still is okay but I really liked Mickey Rooney and Dick Van Dyke in it. Mickey Rooney's lines were classic: "Let's dance hot dog!"

Night at the museum 2 is coming out pretty soon. Hopefully it will be as good. It looks like it's going to have everyone in it except Rooney and Van Dyke...
I usually consider that sequels tend to suck badly, so yeah Madagascar 2 wasn't on par with the first, but still it wasn't that bad.

Ironically, the three security guards were the part I found weakest in NATM. Dunno why. I guess I felt their subplot was handled a little weirdly. But I actually feel fired up for the sequel, or at least moreso than the trailer for the first got me.

And yeah, I'm all pumped for Coraline! It looks really good (though I'd have prefered a live action version).