Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 12:37 PM        In this thread I will whine at about jobs and my stupid life
So, today I had an interview with some bigshot technical recruitment firm. I think while I was there I realized the full extent of my hatred and contempt for the corporate world. I've known I hated it for a long time now, but I think it was extra clear to me today. My stomach was in knots my chest was having lightening bolts of pain shooting through it and I sort of felt like vomiting. Just the idea of having to go back into work like that again makes me feel dead. I've gotten to the point now where I can't even pretend to be interested in a job like that, or mask my disgust at the thought of it.
For a while now I have been having obsessive thoughts about becoming a farmer. I seem to think that this would somehow make me happy, but really I have no idea if that is true or not. I think it is purely based on the fact that it is the complete opposite of everything I hate about corporate life. It is most likely purely romantic.
It seems impossible to not constantly get dragged back into doing these computer jobs. Everytime I leave and think I will find something else to do, I end right back where I started. And it is all because of money. There just seems to be nothing else I can do that would even vaguely compete with the money I make doing those kind of jobs. I wish so much that I never started working in tech jobs. I think about that a lot. But really I have no right to bitch because in a lot of ways it is an advantage. I just think it screwed my life up
So after I left the interview I ended up accidentally driving 20 minutes outside of the city and ended up at a farm. I swear I didn't do it intentially (how would I even know where a farm was?). I just zoned out an went the wrong way. That was weird
So, I am upset. And I have no idea what to do with my life. Just the same shit over and over.
And now some other place called about a job and I need to go call them back and hope I don't vomit the sandwich I just ate in the process.
Drama.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 12:41 PM       
I know what you mean about feeling dead inside. :/

If it's any consolation, I think you could make a damn good living doing your art projects one day. It just takes time, but you have as much talent as anyone I've ever seen.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 12:45 PM       
Sell T-shirts and become a pick-pocket or a Jackaroo.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 12:48 PM       
Or a catweigh.

Wherever you go, there you are.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 12:57 PM       
Quote:
" I've gotten to the point now where I can't even pretend to be interested in a job like that, or mask my disgust at the thought of it. "
I know that feeling. Ironically enough, it seems to help when it comes to interviews for me. Perhaps the interviewer assumes that the reason I really couldn't care less is because the job is beneath my skill level so if they hire me they are scoring? Whenever I go into an interview nervous and wanting the job I never get it.

It's already sucked the life out of me. My biggest fear is how numb I'm becoming to it all. Before it would make me angry and frustrated... that energy would at least lead to something. Now I'm just drifting. It hurts me that it's not hurting me.

But yes.

OR some wacky comment about drugs or other hilarious money making schemes.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 01:24 PM       
you shouldve taken the red pills. :/

I'm part of the coporated world and a lot of times i feel trapped inside. it sucks hardcore. not even the amount of money I'm making can unlock me from thinking how much it sucks to be in world of fakery and asskissing. it would be nice to live in a farm and own all the animals as pets, though. working in old people's home or landscaping/construction sounds appealing to me, as well.

money, money, money. :rolleye
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 01:26 PM       
Don't worry Re... someday I'll sell I-Mockery and then we'll be rich.

(ps: Somebody give her a LiveJournal code. It's high time she gets one)

CyborgDuckPenis is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 02:12 PM       
If you're serious about the livejournal code thing, I have one free.

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 02:23 PM       
Annnnnnnnnd this job is ALL code and NO design. I can't do this

Quote:
If it's any consolation, I think you could make a damn good living doing your art projects one day. It just takes time, but you have as much talent as anyone I've ever seen.
Thanks. I appreciate it. Unfortunately I really don't think about that happening.

I need someone to tell me what to do, I am obviously incapable of figuring my life out by myself.

And I can't beleive so many people are this miserable. Is this life? This is ridiculous. Why the hell does anyone bother
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 02:34 PM       
Last time I answered that question for myself, I awoke in the emergency room and was sent home for the quarter.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 02:55 PM        Yup
By a Chia pet. If it grows, farming is your fate. If you can make a Chia grow, you will be a fantastic farmer.
Darryl is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 03:48 PM       
Nobody will hire me because I made my resume look so good, they think I am overqualified. But instead of saying that, they send me postcards saying that I am NOT qualified at all.

WTF, I sent my resume in for your stupid job. You can see that I am absolutely qualified and I work hard.
SO GIVE ME THE JOB.

Assholes. AHHHH
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 04:08 PM       
Its wierd but sometimes I just wanna live in the forest like an animal and have to worry about real stuff like survival instead of dumb little school or work things. As soon as I graduate I really jsut want someone to drop me out in the middle of nowere for a month or so, i think that would be the greatest experince of my life although it would probaly make any job I get seem more pointless.

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 04:19 PM       
They called back again. I have an interview tomorrow

At least they are not big corporate. So hopefully I will be slightly less hostile. The job itself sounds like it could not possibly be more boring though.

If I take this job I am going to buy a window garden and start practicing for my grand farming career. I actualy might build the box myself with my new dremel
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 05:33 PM       
I'm telling you, it'd be a crime to see you not make a decent living off your artistic talents.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 05:58 PM       
Oh God Doopa, I know how you feel, except I work in retail. Ever an anti-union video at job orientation? It was enough to make me hurl.
I hate working for corperations. I have to struggle all the time to resist the brainwashing.

SlaveMart: Resistance Is Futile.(tm)
dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 06:11 PM       
eff. when i was in highskool i did a lil data entry thing for buying money. up til then i thought that's what i could do with my life, but damn. i figured out that wasn't gonna work. i'm happy now doing more physical work, and on days i don't work i go to a gym just to move around. if i sit still for too long, actually even just for a few days, i get all depressed and irate. :/

can you imagine a work environment that you'd enjoy? i'm not sure about farming, maybe landscaping? o..O uhh. carpentry? people are always buildin stuff.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 07:20 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoclown
I'm telling you, it'd be a crime to see you not make a decent living off your artistic talents.
That's what I tell her. She's workin on this comic (the story for which I sincerely like so far) but I worry that this job shit will once again push it off to the side.

See, her and I have pretty much taken turns as far as work goes so the other can get some work of their own done, and she worked even longer last year, so it's been my turn to work. But now she wants to help out, which is fine, but I really hope she doesn't take on some big 3 month project or some shit, cuz I know how a job can drain all of your creative juices... and I really want to see that comic become a reality.

can you imagine a work environment that you'd enjoy? i'm not sure about farming, maybe landscaping? o..O uhh. carpentry? people are always buildin stuff.

Well she's already got a Dremel and a toolbelt.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:03 PM       
We should all blame our parents for allowing us to be born!

Seriously, though. Just deal with it. A job is a job, and if you don't like it, do like what Proto said: make your own job through your art. I'm sure that there's some artsy-folksy place where you live. Just take a table and chair and sell your art on a street corner one day. I see people doing it here in Winnipeg all the time and they make good money because there are suckers everywhere. It doesn't even have to be your best work.

Farming sucks, BTW. I mean, really, really, really sucks. Half my relatives work on/around farms and they hate themselves for not having the nice things non-farm people have.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:26 PM       
AChimp is right. Farming is romanticized by urbanites.
Doopa, have you considered doing commissions?
Mocker

James sucks
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:39 PM       
Doopa, you have the rare privilege of having a dream that you have the capability of pursuing. Don't take it for granted. You want to be an artist, and you are able to produce work worthy of having your name well known and respected.

So I think you owe it to yourself to work hard on your dream. You really don't know how lucky you are.

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:56 PM       
Quote:
I think I like the idea of the farming thing because of when I was a kid I had a garden and some apple and pear trees, and I loved being able to eat food I grew myself. But I already said it was just a romantic idea.
I do like fresh air and being active and working with my hands. I hate bugs though(well, bees and wasps) and hate getting tan (the skin cancer!). So that is a bit of a problem as far as the farmer thing goes. Maybe one of those indoor farm things.
As for landscaping, I like the idea of it, but same problem as farming as far as sun and wasps.
Carpentry... maybe. Not sure I could like.. build decks or whatever. Maybe I could build some bird houses with my dremel.

I think the most I liked a job was when I did work at that store once for a few months doing framing. I really like the framing part of it, but the dealing with the customer part of it was horrible. Especially when they were unhappy.

I think I need to be active too. I hate sitting in front of a computer all day. I hate computers. And I hate stale air conditioned air all day. And I hate corporate drama

Quote:
Doopa, have you considered doing commissions?
I have done a few, but I seriously doubt I would ever do any again honestly.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 09:04 PM       
I love AC.

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 09:05 PM       
Quote:
Doopa, you have the rare privilege of having a dream that you have the capability of pursuing. Don't take it for granted. You want to be an artist, and you are able to produce work worthy of having your name well known and respected.
Being a sucessful artist doesn't have as much to do with talent as you think. Just like any other business, a lot of it is just shmoozing and games. And self confidence.

Quote:
So I think you owe it to yourself to work hard on your dream.
I work hard at it everyday. Not because it's a dream. Because I can't help myself. It's a personal compulsion. If someday I can live off it that would be really great sure, but it's not why I do it. Whether or not I am commercially successful with it doesn't make what I do any less important to me personally.

Quote:
You really don't know how lucky you are.
There is nothing lucky about it
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 09:12 PM       
It doesn't even have to be your best work

Trust me, I know her all too well and she would NEVER put out anything for sale that she wasn't satisfied with. She's extremely picky about her art... the whole perfectionist kinda thing.

And self confidence.

I try helping you with that, but as we've already discussed, that's really something you've gotta get on your own. The one thing I've always told ya is that you don't promote your artwork nearly enough. You've got this awesome portfolio site and you haven't even promoted it anywhere on the web. You've put up a few flyers here 'n there, but it still goes unseen because you just expect people to stumble across it. There's so many art communities out there, I'm tellin ya, you gotta spread the word about it a bit more. :/