Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iron mitchell is probably a spambot
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 03:27 PM        what've you been listening to?
this is what i have piled next to my stereo...

cd's/cdr's...
-----------------------------------------------------------------
aaron hibbs - barred owl sounds (this is the drummer from sword heaven. he's a total sweetheart and deserves way more recognition. i was fortunate enough to be in ohio when aaron was putting the finishing touches on this release, so i got to get an early taste! the sounds on this disc are all derived from "owl sounds". sometimes it's far more obvious than other times. there are plenty of tracks on here that just sound like totally insane low-end rumbling and piercing shrieks, but others are not unlike listening to the sounds coming from your backporch at night after smoking some cheap pot. handmade sleeve with creepy black paint splatters!)

quad muth - selfsleeving driftlimbs (this is really odd shit, kinda like what i imagine a circus of leprechauns on acid would be like. totally upbeat percussion and organ, but plenty of effect-heavy screaming, feedback, crazy distorted sounds, and more! only heresee would put this out, and their fancy-pants packaging is in effect here.)

extreme animals - dare i say troll? (this is the paperrad house band. you can practically see the neon colored rainbows and the demented gumby freak outs in each track. each song is a fucking anthem full of cheezy techno drum-fills, off-time synth stabs, off-key (but still major key dood!) singing, and more. not as good as "midi slaves", but this band can be nothing but fun! minimal, but migraine-inducingly colorful, packaging.)

e.n. - you will be out dated soon (this was my friend from tampa, ian. he was shot and killed a few months ago. this was his last cdr and it's a pretty crazy one. some tracks are like snotty synth-punk run through a hundred filters (merzbow meets gerty farish?) and others are very simple and short, but totally gorgeous lock-grooves. cover features cut-up fashion models. cute pictures!)

this song is a mess, but so am i - church point, la ("church point, la" is freddy's first full-length release. it is all about the death of his mother. it is depressing as fuck. fans of xiu xiu should check this out, because there some similarities. freddy is obviously working more with sequencers and synths, but creating a similar vibe. tracks go from beat-heavy joy division-esque songs to full-on harsh noise to acoustic guitar in the blink of an eye. packaging includes pictures of his mother in the hospital and other family photos. very bleak shit.)

cotton museum - exposed organs (theremins, circuit-bent children's toys, and contact mics inside of bobble-heads?! chris has a fucking 14 year old's approach of noise-making, but it totally rules! these tracks sound especially decayed and will burn a hole into your mind. a little less brutal than earlier releases, but far more rhythmic and hypnotic this time around. his amazingly gross artwork graces the sleeve.)

vinyl...
------------------------------------------------------------------
prurient - body language (one man, two microphones, an effects processor, and WAY too much amplification is prurient. HAAAAARSH fucking feedback under the complete control of dominick. he will occasionally tap out a rhythm that our feeble brains can handle with his fingers or screaming out some geniunely romantic poetry, but he's usually just swinging the microphones around him like fucking twin morningstars and destroying anything in his path. this record simply rapes you. it's packaged in a radical fucking black and white "block-y" styled foldout.)

hair police - obedience cuts (i bought this lp at the hair police/kites/prurient/brainpaw show in st louis earlier this year. mike told me it would rock me. and he wasn't kidding. hair police have become the most rocking noise band around. this is the closest these guys have come to capturing the brutality of their live shows. totally murky, yet precise. totally stoned, yet pummeling. the lp version of this release has some kind of "grass" substance on the cover. the cd version i saw had a really gnarly looking rat skull on the cover.)

no-neck blues band - first kingdom of the ghost (more chilled out than the average nnck release, there are even some soothing moments like floating on a pond here. very fucking eerie the rest of the time, though. lots of chants and build-ups in ambience. plenty of expected nnck skitter and skree, though. the artwork is gorgeous of course, and the lathes are very nice!)

cassettes...
------------------------------------------------------------------
dreamhouse - live & outside (yeah, it's live stuff recorded outdoors in six different states! amazing fucking weirdo drum-circle w/ shortwave static, horns, and freakout vocals all packaged in a handpainted and embroidered cereal box with huge foldout silkscreen poster.)

noise nomads - recycled (another classic recycled tape! mine used to be "rush - fly by night", but now it's two guys throwing a guitar run through a hundred octave and fuzz pedals back and forth and completely mauling classic records into shards! pretty fucking harsh for such a silly bandname!)

wolf eyes - droll, volume 14 (the droll series continues! i just got this in the other day and it's totally killer! john must have taken all of his reel-to-reels and caked mud on them to get those fucking thick layers of pure shaking, wavering distortion. the first track sounds like a pair of demons hissing and shrieking at one another! even though this doesn't have any of the signature "wolf eyes boom", track two is one of their most rhythm-heavy jams 'cuz it just fucking pulsates like a throbbing gash the whole way through! intense! packaged in the usual rotting paper, housepaint, and various stamps and clippings. get it or be lame.

sixteen bitch pile-up/sword heaven - split (wow! two of my favorite bands together! that's always awesome! sixteen bitch's side is totally pummeling noise crescendo. one of the most beautiful recordings put to tape EVER! sword heaven's side is a primal gurgling with some seriously intense drumming and metallic tones that out-rocks any rock band! this tape is essential! each tape has different newspaper clippings and really nice metallic foil shit going on too.)

devillock - red tusks (this shit is filthy! total sine wave manipulation here! the whole tape is probably less than 20 minutes, but i can listen to it for hours without releasing i'm hearing the same thing. so many layers of gunk to sift through! this is a perfect companion to the wolf eyes tape listed above. packaged in super-nice silver silkscreen over gore-red paper!
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 05:05 PM       
Wow. You must have a lot of free time in your hands.

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 02:19 PM        re
yeah, sometimes. sometimes not.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 02:37 PM       
Thyrane - The Spirit of Rebellion
Deicide - s/t and Legion
A lot of stoner rock and doom metal
slavemason is probably a spambot
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 03:53 PM       
Mitchell, I haven't heard of any of that stuff, splendid.

Lately, I've been wearing out Deerhoof and Two Gallants.

I just bought a car with a cassette deck, so I dug out some old treasures.
Mississippi John Hurt
Merle Travis and Joe Maphus
Charles Mingus

While cleaning out my old truck (that I sold to buy the car), I found a walkman that had a "best of" tape of an earlier version of our band. Some songs really good, some really good to be gone.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 09:24 PM       
I've been listening to my own shit almost exclusively, as we are in the process of recording and I've taken it on to try and produce and mix all three of the damn 20-minute songs myself. Can't say if I like my own music after listening to it so much. It just is there.

WorthlessLiar is probably a spambot
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 10:27 PM        music
Skywave - Synthstatic: Probably the best shoegazer album in the past 10 years. 6 parts Jesus and Mary Chain, 4 parts My Bloody Valentine and cranked to 11. Definitely one of the loudest things I've ever heard, incredibly jarring with really cathcy melodies beneath layers and layers of electronic fuzz.

Disco Inferno - whole damn catalog: Early 90s British band retroactively classified as post rock. Noticable Joy Division influence but if you've never heard DI, you really haven't heard anything like them. Bizarre samples, deppressing/creepy vocals. Sometimes light and airy othertimes gloomy and oppressive sounding.

I unfortunately missed seeing Hair Police but made it to the Sonic Youth show in time to see Wolf Eyes. It was funny seeing SY fans scratching their heads and furrowing their brows in a vain attempt to grasp them.

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 11:11 PM        re:
i was hopelessly addicted to the disco inferno shit my last year of high school. i still dig most of it.
i can't afford to see sonic youth, but i'm sure it was a total blast! i've seen wolf eyes and hair police numerous times each, and they simply don't have the capacity to disappoint!
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:56 AM       
quad muth sound cool mitchell...where can I hear some?

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 08:29 AM        re:
either aim your browser towards http://www.heresee.com or get on soulseek and look for it. there's also a pretty decent live bootleg of theirs on soulseek, but i would definitely start with the album. i hope you like!
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 01:22 AM       
I've been listening to the Brown Album by Primus a lot lately. For some reason Primus CD's are really cheap.
That and Bridge Across Forever by Transatlantic, one of my favorite CD's in a long while.

Blue is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 07:57 PM       
Emil Bulls - Porcelain and Unwritten Law- Elva of late. Nothing better to listen to on the bus and they flood out the sounds of annoying people yapping about how shit there day at work was or is going to be.
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 12:45 AM       
iron mitchell said he was gonna hook me up with some alamagator stuff because he stole my drum machine music.