Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dynamic Dustin M. is probably a spambot
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 01:42 PM        Something that caught my attention.
I was planning on posting this a while ago but it wasn't until today when I saw another copy of what George W. said. Before I continue as well, let it be known I am a registered Independent who tends to lean towards to Conservative side. I am not religious, I tend to agree with many Democratic and Reform idea, and I still think Rush Limbaugh is the most interesting political commentator I have ever heard. Nothing too major, but just so it shows how I think.

Anyways, what caught my attention was the debate between John Kerry and George Bush. Going into this election, I was strongly considering voting for some third party rather then Bush or Kerry as I wasn't a fan of either of them. I felt Bush has squandered a lot of resources and made several illogical decisions during his initial 4 years and Kerry was very two faced when it came to his political agenda. The only edge I gave to Bush was that he seemed to stick by the decisions he made, whether correct or incorrect. Whether thats a sign of honesty or stupidity, I don't know. What I do know is that is that I garnered a lot of respect for W. by this simple sentence. (This may be paraphrased a bit as I don't remember the entire quote.) In regards to being president, Bush said "This is a hard job."

Now while most Bush haters saw this as an admittance of incompetency(sp) I had to sit back and think about his words. In that one moment, I didn't see a rich so and so who bought his way into the office and was trying to pull the strings of a nation. I didn't see a power hungry tyrant using a tragic event to his advantage. No... What I saw was the common man thrust into a position beyond his control and admitting to simply doing the best he could in that situation.

As I listened to the rest of his rebuttels and debate, my respect tripled for our President. Rather then hiding his flaws in a shroud of lies and illusion, he openly admitted mistakes had been made. Rather then succomb to the pressure of being "the ultimate wartime president", he decided to show his vulnerable side and admit that he was doing the best he could.

Many skeptics would say "his best just isn't good enough." But sometimes your best is all we can ask for. Whether it is becoming a parent for a first time, getting married, getting a new job, helping a friend in need, or whatever the case is... We all do the best we can.

Is George Bush the best president we ever had? No. Is George Bush who I would ideally like to see in office? No. However, is George Bush a man who deserves to be the President? Only if you believe in honesty in oneself and the admittance of a comman man in office. I will stand by Bush for another 4 years with the comfort that no matter what the situation, Bush will do his best in this hard job as anyone else would.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 02:16 PM       
Really, so he admitted he made mistakes, but couldn't/wouldn't name three of them?

Strapping Young Lad is probably a spambot
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 02:16 PM       
No... What I saw was the common man thrust into a position beyond his control and admitting to simply doing the best he could in that situation.

So Bush is the victim then, huh? He wasn't required to participate in those debates. He also wasn't required to send thousands of young men to possibly die in Iraq for a flimsy pseudo-agenda that is quickly falling from the status of "utterly unnecessary" to "globally catastrophic."

Why is it that people are so impressed with any sort of steadfastness exhibited by a politician? If I kept banging my head against a brick wall until my forehead collapsed in upon itself, should I receive praise from my peers because of my obvious talent to be relentless? No. Same applies to a president who can't see, or refuses to see, his mistakes and correct them.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 02:29 PM       
It's because most people don't like the idea that there are very, very, very few issues that can be boiled down to black and white when the whole world is gray.

The fact that Kerry was able to a) admit that he made bad decisions in the past and talked about those decisions and why he thinks differently and b) realized that there's more to every issue than two sides is what made him a superior candidate, regardless of his other abilities or lackthereof. I would rather have the most boring person in the world be my leader as long as they could make informed decisions instead of someone who makes kneejerk decisions, sticks with it because you don't want to look bad, and thinks Jesus talks to him.

The other main impression that I got from John Kerry was that he knows that it is possible to do the right thing and still be WRONG. The rest of the world understands that concept; unfortunately, the Bush and the majority of Americans don't grasp it.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 02:40 PM       
Bush is no more a common man than I am Mother Theresa. This man and his administration are, hands down, the most dangerous threat to our country today. If you actually did your homework, Dustin, you'd know this is no "common man" thrust into an extraordinary situation.

I'm too fucking busy with work for a tirade, so I'll just leave it at that.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 02:40 PM       
SYL, what would you do to correct them? Furthermore, how do you know that would be the right decision? Would you keep flip-flopping back and forth until the "right" one is found?

The fact of the matter is that there is no "right" decision in a time like this. Lets assume for a second Bush pulls out of Iraq. Suddenly, some other Terrorist sees this as some sign of weakness. BOOM! Another 9/11.

Lets say we never go to Iraq and force our search for WMDs. Oh no, their were hidden WMDs and now three major US cities are nothing more but craters in the ground.

Hey, lets assume we never go into WW2. Whoops, we are now all Nazis.

Hey, lets assume we never fight in the American Revolution. Cheerio mate.

Are these views a bit drastic? Of course.

Bottomline: We can second guess all we want and say that if things were done differently, things would be better. Am I saying I agree with everything Bush has done? No. I am simply stating that it takes a true American or Human Being to do what he thinks is right and stand by it.

The observation of bashing your head is colorful but utterly irrelivant. Neither you, nor me, nor anyone else INCLUDING our President can know exactly what to do. We all are weened by what others say, what others do, and what others think. I judge not be the immediately result, but as of what will happen as a whole in time. No one knows what ultimately "could" happen but I am forced to respect a man who continues to do what he feels is right to stop the worse case scenereo. Right or wrong, that is the opinion I stand by wholeheartedly.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 03:07 PM       
I think your basic premise is pretty thin, and I'm being polite.

You're reading a whole world into "It's hard", which he actually said several times, and my reading (no more legitimate than yours, but I'm not making a grand reading of the man based on it) is that it was whiny and petulant.

If this was him saying "Hey, I'm doing the best I can" it was certainly an utterly out of character moment, since admitting difficulty is something he seems constitutionally unable to do.

I think a far more complete estimation of W. is to be made based on his actions. He is utterly uninterested in dissenting opinions, he doesn't read the paper and is surounded by an ever tightening circle of loyalists. I think that's dangerous.

He's also claimed on several occasions to have no qualms or doubts about Iraq and not to have lost any sleep on the night of the invasion.

I also have to say anyone who finds Limbaugh "the most interesting political commentator I have ever heard." and isn't speaking from a purely sociological point of view needs to get out more.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 03:21 PM       
I think that was very well said Max. Of course, our readings are different on the subject, but thats why we are Americans, suppose to have beliefs

By the way, you may be right on the Limbaugh thing, but I have my reasons. If you get a chance, read his book as a Democrat and compare it to his views and whole belief structure now as a Republican, you might see why I think that.