Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 04:03 PM        Hooking up an Atari2600 to a modern TV
So I have an RF switch, but it outputs to two prongs (old-school style). What is the step that I'm missing to convert that signal to coax?
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 04:30 PM       
Found a Geocities page that seems to have some ideas:

http://www.geocities.com/atari7800mod/hookup.html

SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 04:33 PM       
You need one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ATARI-2600-7800-...QQcmdZViewItem

I used to need one for my Intellivision.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:02 PM       
Yeah, this is the way I used to do it.

Radioshack, about 1 dollar.
CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:33 PM       
Okay, so we have the RF switch to the double prong, but we don't have the second part.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:35 PM       
Yeah, the part on the right is really cheap at radio shack.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:07 PM       
The geocities site says it's called a "300-ohm matched pair to 75-ohm F-Connector transformer".

CHIEF OF POLICE
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:11 PM       
the 75 ohm F-Connector would be a coax, then, I assume.
Funky Dynamite
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:13 PM       
Sounds like it, yeah.

CHIEF OF POLICE
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:40 PM       
It's called a matching transformer, and I already had the RF switch, and I'm going out to Radioshack to get it momentarily. I'll let you all know how Donkey Kong and Jr. are on the Atari 2600!
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:57 PM       
What's sad is that I have 5 in my toolbox. I used to be an elect tech.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM       
dk is pretty bad on 2600, but that didn't stop them from using the sound effects in almost every tv show that had "kid playing video games" in the past 20 years
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 07:34 PM       
I know what effect you're talking about but never knew what it was from.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM       
example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_acy0-a2EzA
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 02:15 AM       
You sure you're not thinking about Pacman on the Atari 2600, Willie? Because the sound effects from that game have probably been used in more TV shows and movies than I can imagine. :O
CHIEF OF POLICE
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 02:41 AM       
I have so many Atari 2600 games. SO MANY.

My favorite is Warlords :<
CHIEF OF POLICE
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 03:14 AM       
Okay so, the RF switch looks like it's not working, so this will be delayed by at LEAST a day :<
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 03:31 AM       
If you have a friend with an old tv, you might want to check it there. I think there was a big frequency issue last time I tried to hook up my old atari.
CHIEF OF POLICE
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 03:48 AM       
I don't think anyone I know does. Possibly my parents still have one I can use.
CHIEF OF POLICE
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:28 PM       
Okay, so it seems my Atari 2600 is borked. Anyone want to send me theirs? I'll draw you pretty pictures.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 01:25 AM       
I totally saw one in the goodwill today for 20 quid. If Fathom hadn't taken my money on a wild and crazy joyride with the promise of Pokemon and all my dreams come true, I would have gotten it :<
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 01:31 AM       
Also, I thought I knew exactly what video game all generic sound effects are taken from (Galaga) but that totally wasn't it.

God damnit, this is going to keep me up until I know what it is.

Wikipedia states that it is in fact Donkey Kong, but I've never heard anyone playing that :<
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 01:49 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLE View Post
Okay, so it seems my Atari 2600 is borked. Anyone want to send me theirs? I'll draw you pretty pictures.
Not that I don't believe you, but how did you deduce this?
OH GOD
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 03:58 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery View Post
You sure you're not thinking about Pacman on the Atari 2600, Willie? Because the sound effects from that game have probably been used in more TV shows and movies than I can imagine. :O
that too, but i'm fairly sure i've heard dk sound effects more often
CHIEF OF POLICE
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 04:22 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
Not that I don't believe you, but how did you deduce this?
We used the coax cable with something else, and it worked (the other thing). We used three different ways of connecting the atari through to the coax cable (two RF switches and a direct RCA to Coax adapter) There is no sound or warmpth coming from the Atari 2600, and half of the time you plug it in, there's a small spark at the plug port. This was left plugged in for a year (though i don't believe turned on), so I didn't think it was the system, but it seems to be the last possible answer.