Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:50 AM        Camus' Connundrum
Il n'y a qu'un problème philosophique vraiment sérieux: c'est le suicide

"There is not but one truly serious philosophical problem: that is, suicide."

How do you choose to live in spite of the absurdity of existence? In those moments when life loses its fun, what gives you the temperance to wait it out until it gets better rather than just calling it quits? How much of a factor is the fear of the unknown, id est, death? Don't you ever get bored with life and think, "hey, life's predictable. Let's find out what death is."

I'm not at present a danger to myself, as I have my own answers to those, but I just wonder what the board has to say.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:38 AM       
God & Alcohol.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:41 AM       
are you a gnostic seth?
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:43 AM       
Thomas Nagel thinks Camus is taking himself waaay to seriously. I'm inclined to agree.
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:12 AM       
I came up with the answer to this one about a year ago when I was under the influence of some fairly potent hallucinogens. It works in just about any situation where you feel at your end. In fact, it even worked when I was coming down from the drugs and considered hanging myself for the sheer shock value of it all.

It's so simple that it's almost like cheating:

Believe that there is more.

That's my advice.

...or you could go the route that the Insane Clown Posse suggests, and think about the poor guy who'd have to clean it up.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
Pharaoh is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:57 AM       
I think Camus was saying that if you don't believe in God, then life has no meaning and therefore is absurd. And if it's absurd and meaningless then why not just end it. What's the point in living?

I would have thought, though, that religious people would give up their life more easily than non-religious because they believe in an afterlife. For example Islamic suicide bombers, who think they're going to paradise.

I believe that being dead would be just the same as before being born. Absolutely nothing. So, for me, that thought makes life more precious and less boring and meaningless.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:57 AM       
"How do you choose to live in spite of the absurdity of existence?"

In spite of? The absurdity is the REASON I choose to keep living. If life had some speciffic point to it, there's a good chance I wouldn't like it. Then I'd think about killing myself.

Seriously, this is why Camus got invited to so few parties.

The only guarantee you get in life is that you will eventually be dead. It's highly likely that being dead will be different than being alive. I see no argument for not experiencing every aspect of life prior to death since it's coming anyway. It's not as if absurdity is excuriatingly painful. I mean, sure, it can be, and if it gets that way and looks like it's going to stay that way, it's not like if I don't commit suicide right now I loose my option.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:14 PM       
Well, I guess I'm gonna have to go all polar opposite once again on you, Max...

For me, if life had no goal or meaning, I'd lose any connection to it. Insignificance is unbearable to me, and I don't participate in meaningless events.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:19 PM       
I think it is a great testimony to our common humanity that we can be friends, Preech. I ONLY perticipate in things without meaning. It's my credo! I would, however, protect your right to find meaning in things to the death.

Well, actually, I hope you know I'd sneak out the back the moment deending your beliefs got the leat bit dicey, but it's the thought that counts.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:22 PM       
the meaning of life, at the very least, is death. suicide is like skipping to the last page of a mystery before finishing the novel. sure, people do that, but it's REALLY FUCKIN LAME.
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:26 PM       
Quote:
I don't participate in meaningless events.
Welcome to the i-mockery forums

A meaningless, abject, barren existence in the void is just fine and dandy with me. In fact, ist better - because you know there isn't something you really should be doing instead of the meaningless crap you are actually doing.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:30 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Vonnegut
I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
Reading A Man Without a Country while waiting on jury duty is a surefire way to get the sort of thought into your head that will get you excused from jury duty.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:31 PM       
we do-doodly-do-doodly-do-doodly-do
what we must-muddily-must-muddily-must-muddily-must
till we burst-bodily-burst-bodily-burst-bodily-burtst
bodily-bust-bodily-bust-bodily-bust-bodily-bust.

-Kurt Vonnegut Jr.