Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:32 PM        City of Villains
Hey. I'm in the beta for this and today the Non-Disclosure Agreement was lifted, so it's screenshot time.

ENTER OUR VILLAIN, ROBOSEAL X800. HE IS A CYBERNETICALLY-ENHANCED SEAL THAT FOR TOO LONG HAS ENDURED PEOPLE THROWING PENNIES AT HIM IN A GLASS ENCLOSURE. Note the Bloom and distance blurring effects.

Character gen has all of the parts from COH plus about 9 million more. COH suffers from having about 8 different faces to choose from, but COV has literally about 30-40 pieces for this. Also, COH subscribers who buy COV will get to use the COV parts for their COH characters as well.

Also, COV and COH share the same monthly fee ($14.99).

Replacing the Defender Archetype are Masterminds, who can control a number of pets. You have far greater control over your pets than previous COH pets and other classes in COV that get pets. Namely, you have complete control over them, can upgrade them, can name them, and can make them talk and do emotes (like getting down, as pictured). You can have up to 6 pets.

And when you dismiss a robit pet, it blasts off into the sky.

Some guy's mercenary pets.

Probably this guy.

The 4 types of pets, including zonbis, mercenaries, robits, and NINJAS.

RIDIN SPINNAS, ROBBIN BANKS

Ragdoll physics are funny :<

My 2nd robot Smarterchild totally backhanded this dude into the wall. During the bank raid, I shot this dude in the face and he flew back and rolled on the ground a few times. The best part is that this happens every time you knock a dude over, not just on their death.

I think it tries too hard to be Guild Wars, though.

There are a lot of animal parts, so expect to see hardcore yiffing all throughout the rogue isles.

Ms. Liberty will think twice before she invites her friends for punch and pie.

Just gonna dump the rest, I want to get back to it. ENJOY :o

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:50 PM       
Mac compatible?? *hopes*
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 08:00 PM       
Yeah sure

Is that guy trying to kick your ass with Matrix moves?
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 09:14 PM       
Smarterchild

How do missions work in this one, do you just run around getting missions from highly respected villains or what?
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:39 PM       
Mission getting works the same as coh, you get contacts.

New character, Mr. Payback, about to break out dis bitch.

Things happen in the joint that chill a man's blood.

And the guards just watched.

OH GOD NOT IN THE FACE

Invading the X-Men's danger room

We're too tough for armed robbery.

Oh shit! It's the fuzz!

Did we accidentally break into the national treasury or something?

MORE LIES FROM THE LIBERAL MEDIA

IT OK I GOT DIS ONE

Nice ray-bans.
THX WHERE R U?

Sometimes I push my men too hard.

But they're good men. I'll kill them last.
was never good
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 07:03 PM       
Actually, I was wrong about missions. You do still get COH-style missions where one dude orders you around, but there's also a system where you get a broker, then scan the newspaper for crap. You find things like a recent heist or a kidnapping and then find some way to make it work for you. Example!

The missions in general are snarkier, too.

Most of the NPC-based missions feel like GTA the MMO :<

TIGAR UPPERCUT

I HAVE NOTHING FURTHER TO COMMENT

My favorite watering hole ;<

TIGAR

HOOOOO

TIGAR

plop

DOOM3: ONLINE

ALL THE SODA JERKERS KNOW MY NAME :<

THUG LIFE DEAD

I am a born leader :<

Having 5 masterminds in your team, each with 2 pets, ensures that you travel with a small insurgency.

Your supergroup gets a base that you can outfit with items and generally build like a souped-up version of the Sims.

My CONTROL ROOM. I'm sitting on a database. :<

Your base can hold a workshop, a power generator, a control room, and a medical bay in addition to decorative rooms. Each of these things actually does something - The workshop lets you build new items for your base or fix current ones with salvage that you beat out of your enemies. The generator room supplies power to the rest of the base (without it, nothing really works). The control room lets your tech devices work and does some other stuff i think. The medical bay causes you to teleport back to your base when defeated instead of the town's hospital.

Every item that is not decorative can be destroyed in a base raid, so it's good to keep backup generators and capacitors online to prevent a group of jersk from running in and blowing up your hummy thing.

And now, we return to the Walker: Texas Ranger weekend marathon.
was never good
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 07:11 PM       
Oh, almost forgot: The COV stress test is on this weekend, so get your ass down to FilePlanet for a serial and a copy of the game.
was never good
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 10:29 PM       
Beta keys are being distributed to preorders now. If you preorder, expect to get your key 'within 2 business days'.
was never good
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 03:45 PM       
You know, you are allowed to post in this thread if you aren't in the beta.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 03:58 PM       
oh.
was never good
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 04:07 PM       
You say that like you aren't gonna buy it.

But you are.

Which makes you gay.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 04:11 PM       
I don't know. I6 is really making me not want to play CoH and I know CoV nerfs won't be far behind. they'd have to be, it's already going to take a full team to take one villain down to half health. GOD HELP US ALL IF HE CARRIES INSPIRATIONS.
was never good
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 04:16 PM       
I'd wait and see if I6 actually does affect you before you cry bloody murder. I5 raped fire tanks to death and I6 is really just shooting the coffin with a tommygun, but most classes won't be dramatically affected by I6.

It's still just a game, and you get to have fun with friends, which is what it's all about. Maybe you won't be able to take down 3 reds at once and won't be able to level as quick, but if that's all the game is worth to you, then go play WOW where people might care about how uber your character is.
Legislacerator
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 04:22 PM       
I don't care about taking out three reds at once, but I don't want to need a full team to take down a grey.

as much as I might be regurgitating the same arguments over and over, it seems like all they're doing is nerfing. statesman has spoken. the playerbase is irrelevant. all hail statesman's vision.
was never good
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 04:28 PM       
Cryptic has the same problem every MMO developer does - They keep changing the game to reflect how they meant people to play it instead of accepting the way people end up playing it and adapting updates to that.

Still, the scenarios you're talking about aren't what COH has become; It's just a little more inconvenient to kill bad guys. It's a stupid change, sure, but it isn't something that cripples your ability to enjoy the game. Yet.

Unless you're a fire tanker or super reflexes scrapper, they're still totally fucked and completely unplayable.

You'd think they'd know better.
Legislacerator
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 04:15 AM       
I'll probably keep playing CoH :<

if I don't, I'll start playing CoV :<

I don't know if I'll do both :<
was never good
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 06:36 AM       
you can play both, it's the same price

iron mitchell is probably a spambot
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 09:16 AM        re:
if i can weasel my way into a job soon i'm going to consider checking this out.
was never good
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:06 AM       
I found out last night that I'd been playing my Brute all wrong. Brutes raise a Fury meter while they're hitting or being hit, and this meter starts to make you do triple and quadruple damage if you can keep it high enough. The brute powersets are generally tanker sets reversed (invulnerability primary and super strength secondary is a Tanker set, ss pri and invul sec is a Brute set). Without Fury, Brutes do less damage than scrappers, but once you get rolling you start to mow a path of destruction that is somewhat biblical. Defense is still way worse than a Tanker, so this class isn't really a parallel to that.

Only way to play this class is to take a lot of quick, low damage attacks to boost fury, and then have one huge finishing maneuver. With full fury, your quick attacks can paste a minion at your level in one hit and your finisher can smash a boss just as quickly. The only problem is that you still take a lot of damage and you have to run from battle to battle quick as shit to maintain fury, leaving no room for you to rest and regain health. This class really shines if you have a healer or controller to manage the damage you take, allowing you to blow through missions lickety split, yo.

And here I thought the only real new thing was the Mastermind class :<
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 02:23 PM       
ill prob be getting a trail of city of heroes tomarrow, do if thats good, i might concider villians

Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 02:37 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dudefather
ill prob be getting a trail of city of heroes tomarrow, do if thats good, i might concider villians
I could have sworn you used to speak English...
Legislacerator
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 02:54 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
I found out last night that I'd been playing my Brute all wrong. Brutes raise a Fury meter while they're hitting or being hit, and this meter starts to make you do triple and quadruple damage if you can keep it high enough. The brute powersets are generally tanker sets reversed (invulnerability primary and super strength secondary is a Tanker set, ss pri and invul sec is a Brute set). Without Fury, Brutes do less damage than scrappers, but once you get rolling you start to mow a path of destruction that is somewhat biblical. Defense is still way worse than a Tanker, so this class isn't really a parallel to that.

Only way to play this class is to take a lot of quick, low damage attacks to boost fury, and then have one huge finishing maneuver. With full fury, your quick attacks can paste a minion at your level in one hit and your finisher can smash a boss just as quickly. The only problem is that you still take a lot of damage and you have to run from battle to battle quick as shit to maintain fury, leaving no room for you to rest and regain health. This class really shines if you have a healer or controller to manage the damage you take, allowing you to blow through missions lickety split, yo.

And here I thought the only real new thing was the Mastermind class :<
another overpowered villain. so we've got the hardcore assassin Stalkers who can take a purple in one hit, the Dominators with ultra holds and damage dealing equivalent to blasters, the Masterminds who can summon what, up to six tanks? there are Corruptors too, aren't there? what do they do? throw nuclear weapons at you?
Whiter than Alabaster
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 03:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dudefather
I shall probably be acquiring a trail version of the pc game 'city of heroes' tomorrow, so after evaluating it, I may consider getting 'City of Villains'.

J'acquerrai probablement une version de traînée du jeu 'ville de PC des héros demain, ainsi après l'évaluation de lui, je peux considérer obtenir 'la ville des bandits.

私はおそらく英雄のPC のゲーム' 都市の道版を明日得る、従ってそれを評価した後、私は' 悪人の都市を得ることを考慮するかもしれない。

:P

was never good
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 01:45 AM       
They had a big PVP event tonight on Beta. Everyone was supposed to make a new hero or villain and then you'd talk to either Statesman or Ghost Widow and get boosted to level 25. Then you'd get dropped into the PVP zone and go nuts.

So, everyone gathered in Atlas. No States for over 45 minutes, though. Then, the protesting began.

The people were incensed! You could FEEL the democracy in the streets! TODAY WE WERE NOT MEN, BUT SYMBOLS OF A NEW TOMORROW.

The protesting got a little out of hand. Heroes were running naked in the streets, and it was all local law enforcement could do to push them out of the way as they sprinted to safety, flailing their arms in the air.

About 12 minutes after we set fire to city hall and had JUST gotten Ms. Liberty's costume to catch, they shut down the server on us.

Eventually they let us back on, and more waiting ensued. UNTIL!

COULD IT BE! IT IS! I'VE WAITED YEARS FOR THIS DAY!

I'LL SHOW YOU WHAT WE THINK OF TARDY NATIONAL TREASURES

Unfortunately, I only managed to dislocate his hip before being subdued by Rockman Raziel and Miss Tall.

On to the PVP zone...

DO YOU THINK YOU ARE TOUGH, MISTER WUN. HOW TOUGH CAN YOU BE AFTER I BEANBAG YOUR EYE AND SET YOUR PANTS ON FIRE.

THAT IS WHAT I THOUGHT.

I do know, but I felt he could be hotter.

After a high-speed chase through the city (we both had super speed), i beanbagged his ass and he began to wander about in a retarded stupor.

After a hard day of being shot with various things, Mr. Hot decided to have a nap in the cool shade of a nearby white oak.

SO YOU HAVE RETURN MISTER WUN. BUT SHIT, YOU HAVE BROUGHT A MAN IN A TOP HAT WITH YOU.

I WILL REMEMBER THIS DAY, MISTER WUN. I'LL BE BACK, AND NO AMOUNT OF HATTED FRIENDS WILL BE ABLE TO SPARE YOU FROM MY RETRIBUTION.

Even the NPCs were getting into the spirit of the evening.

Orange names are bad guys.

CALL OF DUTY: STATESMAN IS A LATE FAGGOT

ARGH!

WAIT A MINUTE. WHAT WERE WE DOING? WAR IS WRONG.

I MAY BE BUT ONE MAN, BUT MY MESSAGE WILL NOT BE IGNORED.

MOSTLY NOT IGNORED, ANYWAY.

And.

I couldn't find anywhere else to put that picture.
Whiter than Alabaster
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:15 AM       
wasnt that chicken man in some pvp online comic made for COH or something?

anyway, got a COV european beta invite sent to me so ill play that for a bit today. screenshots of stuff later.