Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lucas is probably a spambot
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 04:30 PM        Dark Comedy
Hi,

First topic and I think this is just the right place to ask this: Does anyone know any good dark comedy movies I haven't seen yet? My list is through and I want MORE!... so far Ive seen:

Happiness (still the best)
Welcome to the Dollhouse
Storytelling
C'est arrivee pres de chez vous ("Man Bites Dog"... one of a kind)
Fargo
The Big Lebowski
The Man Who Wasn't There
Ghost World (Second Best with honors)
Waiting for Guffman
Best In Show
Tilsammen (Togeither)
Some Woody Allen movies
Pulp Fiction (although to a lesser extent)
Office Space (I don't care what anyone says, Mike Judge is a genius!)
Trees Lounge
Hi Fidelity (although kinda sweet)
Falling Down
Festen (in a way)
Fucking Amal

Guess Todd Solondz, Cohen Brothers and Woody Allen are all okay... if you haven't seen Man Bites Dog yet though (a lowbudget belgian movie with the weirdest sense of humor I have seen so far) GO SEE IT!!!
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 05:18 PM       
I love Man Bites Dog and have watched it several times. I only have it on tape, but next time I have money burning a hole in my pocket I'll get the Criterion dvd. Lots of hilarious moments, pure depravity.

Todd Solondz is awesome, and Happiness is the best. I have to agree.

Some recommendations would be:
First, see every film Woody Allen has made, because they all have their own goodness and charm. If you haven't seen "Purple Rose of Ciaro" do so, and "Annie Hall" and "Manhattan" are still his masterpeices.

Also, "Heathers" is a great dark comedy, probably the best of the 80s. If you haven't seen it run out and get it now.

"Crumb" is a documentary on Robert Crumb, who is insane. Same director as Ghost World, and it's really good.

"Election" is a movie you should have seen already, but if you haven't, get on it.

"Dead Man" and "Ghost Dog" by Jim Jarmusch are two of the best independent American films, and should be required viewing. You will probably like them if you have good taste.

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 05:29 PM       
Heyah thanks, I'll be sure to check those out... specially Heathers I've heard good things about that one... Dead Man was on my to do list anyway too

Hey I saw "Le Velo de Ghislain Lambert" a few days ago by the same guys from Man Bites Dog... it was entertaining but nowhere near the first one. The actor isn't an annoying psycho there he's just a sad man... cool to see that he can do more than one trick though.

Oh yeah I forgot, did you see "Trees Lounge" too I think even BY Steve Buscemi... that one kicks ass too... verrrry sad. And there are these two french guys who make kickass movies and "Delicatessen" was a cool absurd sinister one...

Yeah I've been meaning to see that Crumb movie alright! That guy was out of his mind. I've seen his artwork it is great! I like the various referrences to Crumb and his work in the Ghost World movie too His wife (or widow rather) did all the artwork for that film.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 12:48 AM       
I could find "Delicatessen" anywhere.. and then I found it on Kazaa! But it had no subtitles.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 01:50 AM       
Ghost Dog was the worst fucking movie ever. What's wrong with you?

Crumb was a lot of fun to watch, though. It was nice knowing that Bugs Bunny turns this Crumb guy on.

I've been hearing Fight Club is considered as dark comedy and I would have to agree on that.

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 06:27 AM       
Hey I saw Heathers yesterday. It was cool... clumsy at times but quite entertaining... didn't see the suicide twist coming in the middle of the movie haha it went absurd all of a sudden... nice stereotype mocks of cheerleaderscum, footballairheads, cops and esoteric idiots. Dialogue was strong too at times "Suicide is a personal thing okay!" stuck with me Plus, since it was an 80s movie I got to see some bad-taste stuff and badass mullets as a bonus

Wasn't one of the Heathers that girl from Friends by the way ? I hate that series but I was just curious.

Thanx again for the tip!

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 10:23 AM       
Harold and Maude.

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 10:31 AM       
Oh, and I forgot to mention, I think the actual title of Ghost Dog was: (sucks a)Ghost Dog('s dick). I think that's a Wesley Willis song too.

If you like Jim Jarmusch, get a hold of "Fishing with John"
it's a series where John Lury(sp?) goes on fishing trips with different celebrities, one of them being Jarmusch. His isn't very funny, but the Tom Waits and Dennis Hopper ones are hilarious.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 11:22 AM       
Any movies by John Waters is a plus. That guy's head is just as fucked up as Crumb's. Take Pink Flimingo for instance, a fucked up and insane film. Chicken with cock? What the fuck...? Weird shit.

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 11:34 AM       
Desperate Living by Waters is crazy!!!
Freeway is pretty funny, albeit not the greatest movie.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 12:06 PM       
Fishin With John is awesome. I'm a big fan.

Ghost Dog is a great film, you guys are obviously missing something while watching it. The protrayal of the mafia is classic; showing the downfall of that type of lifestyle, the fall of gangsters and the rise of gangstas. It also has a great spiritual core that is lacking in pretty much every made-for-money bullshit film that Hollywood churns out.