Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:47 PM        Barack Obama's speech tonight
Damn, maybe I'm getting soft in my ripe old age, but I really enjoyed Obama's speech at the convention tonight. Anybody else catch it....?
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 11:38 PM       
Salon.com posted a funny bit on how the NECN guy kept calling him 'this guy Osama'. Yeah the speech was cool.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:33 AM       
Checked out bits of it. Maybe I'll check it out on the C-SPAN website.

I'm looking forward to what the Fox News Pundits have to say.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 09:12 AM       
Absolutely, hands down, the best convention speech I have heard since I started watching them which woud have been Carter Vs. Ford.

I intend to download it later today so I can have a hard copy to read and to own. And I have never felt any compulsion to do that after a speech before.
Mocker
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 10:53 AM       
Apparently he has already been asking for spots on committees, since his election is all but guaranteed. :fawn

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:21 AM        Speeches..
Albert Gore made me laugh. And I was impressed as usual with Clinton's delivery skills regardless of the value of the message.

Obama's speech was actually the only one I fully watched last night, but it was excellent I thought. His message was solid and his delivery was awesome. I'm sure that's not the last time he'll be in the spotlight.
Captain Goodtimes is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:59 AM       
That is all they are talking about here in Chicago, and everyone, including myself, were impressed with the speech.

I found a transcript at http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...ipt/index.html
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 01:13 PM       
I can't wait to read Ronnie's take on his speech.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 03:08 PM       
Yeah what test tube did they get this guy from? He was obviously designed to battle evil doers like the Chicano Bush that spoke at the last RNC. I especially liked the African woman propped below Hilary Clinton for her cut away. That speech was all pandering button pushing, and really didn't say anything... it was just an excellent political speech in that it told people what they wanted to hear, to reaffirm what they think they stand for, and wish Democrats stood for. It's more a testament to how lousy and meandering the typical political speech has become. It shows how desperate we are, because a lot of peole were seriously moved by it... and it will go down along with Cuomo's speech as the best we've had in recent years.

Also - Am I the only one who noticed Teresa Heinz was soused? She couldn't keep her eyes open, and even with that accent she seemed to slur or be heavily medicated.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 03:35 PM       
the whole obama speech and others plays on todays democracy now!
good stuff.. i also enjoyed Micheal Moores speech.. i like how Amy Goodman states that Moore wasn't invited to the convention because dems were affraid he might upstage Kerry, hahah. I hope Kerry has something new to say because i'm still not able to do more for his campaign than talk about how GW gives bush a bad name in soo many ways.

www.democracynow.org

[/url]

conus is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 04:35 PM       
Quote:
it was just an excellent political speech in that it told people what they wanted to hear, to reaffirm what they think they stand for, and wish Democrats stood for. It's more a testament to how lousy and meandering the typical political speech has become. It shows how desperate we are, because a lot of peole were seriously moved by it...
I'd like to disagree, but I can't. It's a temptation to be moved by these speeches, but I've become disciplined enough to listen to them while envisioning Bill Clinton signing into effect bills so radically right they would have horrified Richard Nixon. The actions of Democrats speak so loudly I can no longer hear a word they say. But, even so, I'll vote for Kerry. If my vote can help to negatively affect the quality of Bush's life, then it's worth it.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 05:03 PM       
Yeah my friend said he's gonna keep an eye on this "Obama" character cuz it sounds suspicious. I told him he was an idiot.

Mayor Dailey (Chicago) got pissed off cuz Governor Blagojavich was joking around about how Obama got to do the speech and how he himself was only invited to give a speech in the mens bathroom at 4:30 in morning or some stuff like that.

We got politics jammed up our wazoo here in Chicago...
Mocker
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 12:27 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdxxxx
That speech was all pandering button pushing, and really didn't say anything... it was just an excellent political speech in that it told people what they wanted to hear, to reaffirm what they think they stand for, and wish Democrats stood for. It's more a testament to how lousy and meandering the typical political speech has become. It shows how desperate we are, because a lot of peole were seriously moved by it... and it will go down along with Cuomo's speech as the best we've had in recent years.
I understand your cynicism, but if you think there was ever this "golden age" of substance-filled political speeches, then I think you're mistaken.

I think the tone of Obama's speech was a bit refreshing. For years now, much like Dean has said, liberals have been scared to call themselves liberals. Democrats are perceived to be weak, timid, and vapid. I think Obama aded a little bit of bite to his speech that has been lacking from the center-left.

Was there a bit of hyperbole and ambiguity involved? Of course there was, but that's sort of the nature of the beast......
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 08:36 AM       
Abcxdbsxdye- Heinz Kerry ALWAYS looks soused. Now that may be because she always is, but the half closed eyes, steh slight slur of her accent, the leaning posture, are all trademark.

I like her, but BOY she is a comedians dream come true, their is so much there to latch on to for imitation. \

I did keep thinking she was going to say something about 'going out for a little drinky-poo" in her speech.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 05:03 PM       
Kevin, I agree, but I also found his delivery more akin to a tamed, watered down Malcolm X in delivery, wound up with the hollow social issue rhetoric that characters like Sharpton and Leiberman have attempted (and failed at) in the past. The breath of fresh air was his performance. Candidates are manufactured, but I guess I've never noticed such blatant manipulation even amongst such a backdrop of blatant manipulation. I also suspect that The Rock was booked to wrestle that night or he would have got the slot instead. It's still the best speech we're going to hear this election season, and he certainly hit a home run.
Mocker
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 05:38 PM       
The Rock is a Republican, I think. He may very well be speaking at the RNC.....