Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:58 PM        "Justice Sunday"
From the NYT

" Tonight's megachurch setting and pseudoreligious accouterments notwithstanding, the actual organizer of "Justice Sunday" isn't a clergyman at all but a former state legislator and candidate for insurance commissioner in Louisiana, Tony Perkins. He now runs the Family Research Council, a Washington propaganda machine devoted to debunking "myths" like "People are born gay" and "Homosexuals are no more likely to molest children than heterosexuals are." It will give you an idea of the level of Mr. Perkins's hysteria that, as reported by The American Prospect, he told a gathering in Washington this month that the judiciary poses "a greater threat to representative government" than "terrorist groups." And we all know the punishment for terrorists. Accordingly, Newsweek reports that both Justices Kennedy and Clarence Thomas have "asked Congress for money to add 11 police officers" to the Supreme Court, "including one new officer just to assess threats against the justices." The Judicial Conference of the United States, the policy-making body for the federal judiciary, has requested $12 million for home-security systems for another 800 judges.

Mr. Perkins's fellow producer tonight is James Dobson, the child psychologist who created Focus on the Family, the Colorado Springs media behemoth most famous of late for condemning SpongeBob SquarePants for joining other cartoon characters in a gay-friendly public-service "We Are Family" video for children. Dr. Dobson sees same-sex marriage as the path to "marriage between a man and his donkey" and, in yet another perversion of civil rights history, has likened the robed justices of the Supreme Court to the robed thugs of the Ku Klux Klan. He has promised "a battle of enormous proportions from sea to shining sea" if he doesn't get the judges he wants.

Once upon a time you might have wondered what Senator Frist is doing lighting matches in this tinderbox. As he never ceases to remind us, he is a doctor - an M.D., not some mere Ph.D. like Dr. Dobson - with an admirable history of combating AIDS in Africa. But this guy signed his pact with the devil even before he decided to grandstand in the Schiavo case by besmirching the diagnoses of neurologists who, unlike him, had actually examined the patient.

It was three months earlier, on the Dec. 5, 2004, edition of ABC News's "This Week With George Stephanopoulos," that Dr. Frist enlisted in the Perkins-Dobson cavalry. That week Bush administration abstinence-only sex education programs had been caught spreading bogus information, including the canard that tears and sweat can transmit H.I.V. and AIDS - a fiction that does nothing to further public health but is very effective at provoking the demonization of gay men and any other high-risk group for the disease. Asked if he believed this junk science was true, the Princeton-and-Harvard-educated Dr. Frist said, "I don't know." After Mr. Stephanopoulos pressed him three more times, this fine doctor theorized that it "would be very hard" for tears and sweat to spread AIDS (still a sleazy answer, since there have been no such cases). "

You gotta love these guys. Not content to own two branches of Government, they have now set out to conquer the third.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:28 PM       
I'm glad to see that the "Catholic representative" at this event was Bill Donohue of the super crime fighting Catholic League.

Quote:
You gotta love these guys. Not content to own two branches of Government, they have now set out to conquer the third.
Last week, I heard Pat Buchanan complaining that the judicial branch (more so the circuits) were flawed because they had been taken over by ideolouges, and they are also unaccountable to the people, i.e. we can't elect them!

This is Mr. Conservative himself, complaining that the courts are essentially working as they were intended to......!
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:38 PM       
You knew daily show was gonna be all over this.
Mocker
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 12:37 AM       
Fuck. I just totally missed it.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 01:05 PM       
They did a nice job. I'm sure it's on te internet somewhere. God Bless John Stewart.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:48 PM       
Quote:
Gay book ban goal of state lawmaker
Wednesday, December 01, 2004

KIM CHANDLER
News staff writer

MONTGOMERY - An Alabama lawmaker who sought to ban gay marriages now wants to ban novels with gay characters from public libraries, including university libraries.

A bill by Rep. Gerald Allen, R-Cottondale, would prohibit the use of public funds for "the purchase of textbooks or library materials that recognize or promote homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle." Allen said he filed the bill to protect children from the "homosexual agenda."

"Our culture, how we know it today, is under attack from every angle," Allen said in a press conference Tuesday.

Allen said that if his bill passes, novels with gay protagonists and college textbooks that suggest homosexuality is natural would have to be removed from library shelves and destroyed.

"I guess we dig a big hole and dump them in and bury them," he said.

A spokesman for the Montgomery-based Southern Poverty Law Center called the bill censorship.

"It sounds like Nazi book burning to me," said SPLC spokesman Mark Potok.

Allen pre-filed his bill in advance of the 2005 legislative session, which begins Feb. 1.

If the bill became law, public school textbooks could not present homosexuality as a genetic trait and public libraries couldn't offer books with gay or bisexual characters.

When asked about Tennessee Williams' southern classic "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof," Allen said the play probably couldn't be performed by university theater groups.

Allen said no state funds should be used to pay for materials that foster homosexuality. He said that would include nonfiction books that suggest homosexuality is acceptable and fiction novels with gay characters. While that would ban books like "Heather has Two Mommies," it could also include classic and popular novels with gay characters such as "The Color Purple," "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "Brideshead Revisted."

The bill also would ban materials that recognize or promote a lifestyle or actions prohibited by the sodomy and sexual misconduct laws of Alabama. Allen said that meant books with heterosexual couples committing those acts likely would be banned, too.

His bill also would prohibit a teacher from handing out materials or bringing in a classroom speaker who suggested homosexuality was OK, he said.

Allen has sponsored legislation to make a gay marriage ban part of the Alabama Constitution, but it was not approved by the Legislature.

Ken Baker, a board member of Equality Alabama, a gay rights organization, said Allen was "attempting to become the George Wallace of homosexuality."

Aside from the moral debates, the bill could be problematic for library collections, said Jaunita Owes, director of the Montgomery City-County Library, which is a few blocks from the Alabama Capitol.

"Half the books in the library could end up being banned. It's all based on how one interprets the material," Owes said.

Quote:
Gay author sends Alabama Rep. Gerald Allen his book and a shovel

Gay novelist Michael Holloway Perronne, shipped a copy of his novel, "A Time Before Me," along with a miniature shovel to controversial Alabama lawmaker Rep. Gerald Allen. We told you about Allen proposing a state law that would ban gay books, plays, and films at public institutions, including libraries and college campuses. Perronne said, “If Mr. Allen is determined to bury such great works as The Color Purple, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Brideshead Revisited, then I would be honored to have my own work buried with such classics. Mr. Allen can use the shovel I sent him to start digging his hole.”

Pressbox UK, Michael H. Perronne
[/quote]

Wherever you go, there you are.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:53 PM       
Methinks he doth protest too much.
Mocker

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 05:14 PM       
"My words fly up, my thoughts remain below:Words without thoughts never to heaven go."

FS is probably a spambot
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:53 PM       
I wonder what these guys' view of utopia is. I imagine it's a 50s black & white cartoon where men in top hats meet each other in the street, frightfully point and scream "gay! gay!" several times, and then run back to their house.
Mocker
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 07:07 PM       
That sounds like a pretty rad utopia to me, actually.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 08:27 PM       
As long as that's, like, the only activity. Couple oit with bowling, even lawn maintenance and it's over.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 05:45 AM       
gay! gay!
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 12:26 PM       
Mocker

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 04:42 PM       
"And thus I clothe my naked villany
With odd old ends stol'n out of holy writ,
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."

MEATMAN is probably a spambot
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:00 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellychaos
"And thus I clothe my naked villany
With odd old ends stol'n out of holy writ,
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
You sucked all the humor out of this thread.
Mocker

Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:53 PM       
Not all of it. You're still a joke.

AngPur is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:02 AM       
I don't see why the lynchpin argument against homosexuality is whether or not it's natural. Righties scream it's unnatural, and the gays sadly try to justify it, on the righties's terms, as natural based on a handful of known animal homoerotic cases.

Who cares? The natural courtship for humans involves a heavy club, and in terms of number of mates, the mormons are probably most 'natural'. Natural is just a nice way to say barbarian.
Mocker

Old May 4th, 2005, 05:21 PM       
I don't understand why someone would have to justify their sexual behavior to anyone. To what end? One is not asked to justify beliefs ... they just ARE. A mathematical proof is not necessary. The same "logic" the church uses to discount scientific discovery wherein they make use of the mighty wedge of "faith" is equally useless here in a moral discussion when no formal, rigorous logical arguments/techniques are applied.