Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

O71394658 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 10:37 PM        Schwarzeneegar to Run for Governor.
Schwarzenegger Announces Calif. Gov. Bid
4 minutes ago

By ERICA WERNER, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES - Arnold Schwarzenegger ended the suspense Wednesday and jumped into the race for California governor, instantly becoming the best-known of the declared candidates seeking to replace Democrat Gray Davis in a recall.

The surprise announcement by the "Terminator" actor, a moderate Republican, capped a day of fast-paced developments in one of the most unpredictable political races in recent history.

Earlier, Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein (news, bio, voting record) had ruled out a run, labeling the election "more and more like a carnival every day." And political commentator Arianna Huffington declared she would run as an independent.

Schwarzenegger, 56, announced his decision during a taping of "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (news - Y! TV)," calling it the toughest he's made since deciding to get a bikini wax in 1978.

"The politicians are fiddling, fumbling and failing," he said. "The man that is failing the people more than anyone is Gray Davis. He is failing them terribly, and this is why he needs to be recalled and this is why I am going to run for governor."

Schwarzenegger's advisers had said in recent days that he was leaning against putting his name on the Oct. 7 election ballot because of opposition from his wife, journalist Maria Shriver.

Schwarzenegger told Leno that he's not afraid of Davis allies attacking him as "a womanizer" or "a terrible person." "I know that they're going to throw everything at me," he said.

Davis issued a statement calling Schwarzenegger merely the latest in a long list of people who had declared their intent to run, noting that Hustler publisher Larry Flynt is among them.

"The more candidates who join, the greater the likelihood that a small minority of voters will be controlling California's future," Davis said.

He also reminded voters of the cost of a special recall election, estimated by the secretary of state's office at $67 million — "money which would be better spent on our schools and our children."

Former Los Angeles Mayor Richard Riordan, another moderate Republican, has said he would enter the race if Schwarzenegger did not, and polls have shown Riordan would be a stronger candidate than the actor. Riordan spokeswoman Lisa Wolf said Wednesday that he had no immediate comment.

Feinstein's decision not to run gave a big boost to Davis, while frustrating some Democrats who wanted her to run to ensure the governorship would remain in the party's hands if Davis lost.

"After thinking a great deal about this recall, its implications for the future, and its misguided nature, I have decided that I will not place my name on the ballot," Feinstein said in a statement.

"I deeply believe the recall is a terrible mistake and will bring to the depth and breadth of California instability and uncertainty, which will be detrimental to our economic recovery and decision-making," she said.

The recall election is yet another setback for Davis, who has seen his popularity plummet as the state grapples with a record $38 billion budget deficit.

It also is the latest force to bedevil Californians, who in recent years have endured an energy crisis, the collapse of the dot-com economy and a federally mandated cutback in one of the state's main water supplies. Residents now face the prospect of higher car taxes and college fees to close the state's budget gap.

Davis is the first California governor to face a recall and would be only the second governor nationwide to be removed from office if the effort succeeds.

Analysts from both parties believed the governor's chances for survival would have dramatically diminished if Feinstein, who tops polls as California's most popular politician, was on the ballot as an alternative.

Her decision came a day after a strong endorsement for Davis from the AFL-CIO. Both developments were key victories for the governor, whose support from fellow party members had appeared to be weakening.

"I'm very pleased with Sen. Feinstein's announcement," Davis told San Francisco radio station KGO-AM.

"To the extent that Democrats get in the race, it makes it look like a normal election, and legitimates what is really an effort by the right wing to steal back an election they couldn't win last November," he said. "I think at the end of the day people will realize that the party is better served rallying around its sitting governor."

Some party members still thought otherwise.

"I want to back the strongest candidate and it's important that we coalesce around one, and now I'm appealing to the leaders, the folks whose pay grade is one or two notches up from mine, to figure out who our strongest candidate is and lead us in coalescing behind that candidate," said Rep. Brad Sherman (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., who had supported a Feinstein candidacy.

One possibility was U.S. Rep. Loretta Sanchez (news, bio, voting record), who had supported a Feinstein candidacy and said she might run if Feinstein didn't.

"I have a feeling something will be decided tomorrow probably one way or the other," said Sanchez's spokeswoman, Carrie Brooks.

Members of California's congressional delegation discussed the matter in a conference call Wednesday, with the majority leaning toward finding a consensus candidate, said a source familiar with the discussion who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Huffington, the ex-wife of former Republican Congressman Michael Huffington, announced her candidacy at a news conference in Los Angeles.

"I'm not, to say the least, a conventional candidate. But these are not conventional times," she said. "And if we keep electing the same kind of politicians who got us into the same kind of mess funded by the same kind of special interests, we'll never get out of this mess."

Michael Huffington also has taken out papers, but has not indicated whether he will enter the race.

The ballot also is likely to include several conservative Republicans. U.S. Rep. Darrell Issa (news, bio, voting record), who funded the recall, is a declared candidate, and state Sen. Tom McClintock filed papers Tuesday. Businessman Bill Simon, who lost to Davis in November, also is expected to run.

___
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 10:43 PM       
He will so win. Especially if he uses implied violence in his campaign, or goes around dressed as the Terminator.

I mean, seriously, when people go to the polls, they're gonna look at the ballot and be like, "WTF. Who are all these people? Oh, I know Arnold Schwarzeneggar."

*check*

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 10:53 PM       
Yep, that's Hollywood. He's the most recognizable name on the ballot, and this recall has gotten so much publicity...I honestly would not be in the least bit surprised if he won.

Terminator- Motto could be "don't fuck with us"

(Get it? US? U.S.?) or not... :/
Resident Chimp
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 11:00 PM       
Or he could show up to debates in a bearskin loincloth and wave a huge sword. Man... the publicity stunts are endless...

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 11:04 PM       
Or dress up like a fat lady like in Total Recall.

He could even walk up to people and be all like "Give me your clothes" like that one dude in T:2

Resident Chimp
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 11:05 PM       
It would be awesome if he implemented a Running Man-style prison system.

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 11:11 PM       

Governor written all over him.
Mocker
Mr. Vagiclean is probably a spambot
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:06 AM       
Hey~ if he is good example for a governor, hell, vote! I just wonder how in heck he got the time to study politics.... I know i won't be seeing him in Terminator 4 for sure, so why the hell not a freakin Mayor??

WHO IS YOUR DADDY, AND WHAT DOES HE DO?

FS is probably a spambot
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:20 AM       
I think he actually has some interesting political ideas that I'd like to read more about - though I suppose there will be little focus on that.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:21 AM       
Hmm...
Resident Chimp
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:21 AM       
I think that his best idea is on cutting taxes with the Atlantean sword.
UNODIR
KILLADEUCE sucks
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:11 AM       
I'd sooner like to see Coleman as Gov personally... That boy needs a break like no other...
Striped Tomato
Zebra 3 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:49 PM       
:/ - I wonder how long it will take until someone mentions that Ah-nuld's old man was a Nazi?

- Don't forget Hustler magazine's publisher Larry Flynt is also a gubernatorial candidate as well...