Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 04:59 PM        Sony's PS3 "Home."
In efforts to connect players with one another, Sony's jumped on the online/interactive bandwagon with something that might give it the edge over Xbox Live. Home is a free download that is accessable from the PS3's XMB (what I call the cross menu bar, duh) and is reminiscent of Second Life and The Sims Online. You create an avatar using a multitude of combinations and run around in virtual environments. You can communicate via virtual keyboard on the PS3, through a USB keyboard, or with a bluetooth headset. When you meet people, you have options of doing things like playing pool, bowling, (which is all handled within Home), or jumping into a PS3 game online.

However, the coolest thing in my opinion is the virtual objects. You can create your own stylish pad with a variety of furniture, some of which you can buy at Playstation Store, and have stereos running and television sets on. What is broadcasting out of the radios and TVs is not generic muzak and garble, however, it's music and videos set on the PS3's hard drive. Like I said, very much like Second Life.

Also, in an attempt to shut out Xbox Live's achievement system, there will be a gigantic virual trophy room with video clips playing of when you achieved something on huge screens. There will be other locations, too, like malls (no doubt a virtual front-end to Playstation Store) and a movie theater where one can download movies.

Seriously, the pictures do not do the trophy room justice, you have to see it in motion in the trailer.

All in all, it looks pretty smooth and should be coming out soon. It also looks less furry-laden than Second Life, a big plus.

Meanwhile, here's some screens and a trailer to satiate your thirst.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...pe=mov&pl=game

A day in the park.

Body customization.

Clothing customization. What a tool, gay ass hair.

Shit happening, people talking. (Note Motor Storm playing on the screen in the background.)

Some effeminate man's house.

I bet he lives with his mom. He won't get the girl that way, I'll tell you.

Home: Fully Backed by Pier 1 Imports

Wierd cubed chairs and modular furniture are in these days.

The upcoming movie theater, sans the sticky, broken springed chairs and gum on the floor.

And the best part of Home, the Achievement Area. Note the scrolling bar at around the top of the room. It moves. Also looks a lot like a lazer tag arena, don't it?
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 05:12 PM       
That shit'll get trolled by /b/.
Banned
Microshock is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM       
it actually is a good idea. seems like ppl wont be on it for it to work tho.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 05:36 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grislygus View Post
That shit'll get trolled by /b/.
Like they can afford a PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microshock View Post
it actually is a good idea. seems like ppl wont be on it for it to work tho.
I think as soon as the PS3 kicks into high gear, this'll too. Just waiting for that killer app to come along, though.
It'd be rather ironic if Home itself was the killer app, but I just don't see that happening.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 08:26 PM       
What do you mean? I'm positively wetting my pants at the thought of being able to drop $600 plus dollars on a new console, and then spend even more money buying fake furniture! Oh, the wait is too much!!!

Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 08:57 PM       
sdfasfasdfsa

Last edited by James : Mar 19th, 2007 at 09:59 PM.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 09:29 PM       
I don't think all furniture has to be bought. Just the "designer" shit.

Achievement points as payment does sound cool. Maybe it'll happen.
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 08:15 AM       
Really people, it's fucking virtual furniture.

You want to do that gay shit get Animal Crossing or the Sims.

or Coke Music

frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 04:13 PM       
I wanted to forget about Coke Music and here you bring it up.

Bastard.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:59 PM       
What is it with all REALISTIC games these days having this baby shit green/brown filter over EVERYTHING?

COMPARE:

TO:

That aside, it does look nice otherwise and has the potential to be fun. If no-one plays it, though, I imagine it'll be the CREEPIEST THING EVER walking through those brown bloomed vacant hills.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:20 PM       
Some new info on Home: http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/details...faq-243120.php

So, uh, only 64 people in a 'lobby'. I'm going to assume that 'lobby' means 'game world', due to there being no in-home lobby for playing games (see later comments). Add that to a max of 50 people on your friends list, and the fact that your home ONLY EXISTS WHILE YOU'RE ONLINE AND PLAYING HOME, and you have an extreme disappointment.

Seriously, what the hell? At launch (late this year) it won't even let you play games directly from Home, though Sony helpfully suggests that you can MEET UP in home, then log out and reorganize in that game's lobby, play the game, then log out and back into home to talk about it. So, that's all there is to it - tell your friends on your computer to go meet you in home on the ps3, where you can then agree to go play games with another service. SIMPLE AND FUN.

Without the match networking and without the total userbase online simultaneously, WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT OF THIS? It's EXACTLY like CokeMusic, only THERE'S NOTHING TO DO AND AT LEAST YOUR APARTMENT DIDN'T VANISH FROM EXISTENCE IN COKEMUSIC WHEN YOU WEREN'T THERE ARARAJRHJRHJGHAGHGHGHGH
was never good
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:35 PM       
Warhawk is looking pretty good though, I must say.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:38 PM       
"Currently Home is not a persistent world, so when you leave Home, all of your possessions go with you. For instance, it is not currently possible for other users to visit your apartment while you're not there. We are working on the persistent aspect of Home, and expect to implement it in the long term."

Well, at least it's nice to know they're going to get it right sometime.

I find it hard to nit-pick at this, partly because of my love of Sony and partly because the whole kit-and-kaboodle is free.

Time will tell.
was never good
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:44 PM       
Seriously, can you tell me what the point of this is? It doesn't integrate anything, it's just an optional middleman in an outdated and convoluted process.

It's like how in Quake you had to run down various hallways and navigate treacherous terrain in order to select your difficulty.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:48 PM       
Just a place where people can network and stuff, I guess.

But THE ACHIEVEMENTS! THE ACHIEVEMENTS! mrmhrhrhrh
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
But THE ACHIEVEMENTS! THE ACHIEVEMENTS! mrmhrhrhrh
Are ripped off from 360.

That was very funny. Well done.
was never good
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:01 PM       
But there's the thing. The only people that can 'network' are people that have PREVIOUSLY AGREED AND CONSENTED TO SAID NETWORKING.

"Let's talk."
"Okay."
"No, not here. Over in that room."
"There's a lot of furniture in front of the door."
"It's okay, we're going to remove it later. Just climb over it."
"Okay, now that we're here, what did you want to talk about?"
"Dicks, mostly."
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:40 PM       
That's funny, I remember doing the exact same thing in CokeMusic.
DistantJ is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 04:10 PM       
It seems like a pretty good idea, though don't people do the same thing with online RPGs anyway, but have a purpose in them?

Quite a good idea, though I'd never use it, even if I had the money or the incentive to get a PS3. I prefer to go out and actually do the socializing for real.

Looks like this is the final nail in the coffin for some people's social lives!
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 04:40 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
Are ripped off from 360.
So one can only acheive something when using an Xbox console and not any other.
I assume that Sony and Nintendo and Microsoft copied the Dreamcast because they all made consoles that could access the internet, as well.

The thing is that there isn't anything wrong with taking the logical step forward that someone else has already taken in terms of content and technology. Otherwise there would be monopolies everywhere.

And as far as it wasting social lives away, DistantJ, I'm holding my fingers crossed for the City of Heroes/Villians' Team developing the superhero MMORPG for the Xbox 360 and/or PS3. They gots financial backing from Marvel, which is odd considering Marvel tried to sue them because of the likenesses and whatnot.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 04:51 PM       
Well here's an odd twist of events:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/771/771822p1.html

Sony intends to incorporate Home functions into the PSP.

Will it be full-fledged one day? The world may never know.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 04:53 PM       
Yeah, cause that's the same thing as internet access. 360 was the only system so far to do that, and then the ps3 comes out later on and does the exact same thing. It's not something you can really patent, but it's still quite obviously a rip off. I'm surprised it took so long to come out with something like that.

That was very funny. Well done.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 05:51 PM       
360 kinda blends every single game into that though.
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 07:52 PM       
I remember back in the WINDOWS 3.1 ERA, Packard Bell released this GUI with their Windows 3.1 called the NAVIGATOR, and basically you had this very nice house with all icons and programs arranged in this house. YOU HAD THE GAMES ON A GAMES SHELF, your computer sat on a COMPUTER DESK. And you clicked on a globe for NETWORKING. And let's not forget e-mail, but after all the hubub of it all it just wasn't worth the trouble to have a virtual reality world and we decided to just stick with the normal windows interface.

Now I know this is an a lot more advanced and a lot more customizable then that, but I'm sure people will tire of this eventually.

MY DAD
MrAdventure is probably a real personMrAdventure is probably a real person
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:32 PM       
it's pretty weird with the vibe of forced positivity a lot of people seem to have towards this announcement, kinda like getting school supplies for christmas (oh look it's a slide-rule with santa in a mortarboard on it). it's not necessarily a bad thing (hey it's, uh, something), but it's almost a painful opposite of what people really want. give that damn console some exclusive games that people actually give a shit about, for starters. i mean, really, when something like little big planet (which is probably what home should have been) steals the show it's a bit disappointing compared to what you expect of a company with such resources