Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 01:02 PM        The Job Thread!
Currently, I work at a place called Brookstone in Annapolis mall. I basically sell stuff to people, mostly stuff they don't need, and pick up a small fraction of each sale. I make 7.75 an hour, with perks of an extremely flexible schedule, great co-workers (two of which are my real-life friends), a weekly paycheck (not bimonthly thank God) and $200 - 250 for every Tempur-Pedic bed I sell. Also, a 30% employee discount and a staggering 75% discount on Tempur-Pedic beds in January.

But, I want more.

My checks only come out to about $130 a week after taxes, and most of that is just drained out anyway, some from my gas tank, some from taking care of my really sick mother, some from spending money on my girlfriend, my two kid sisters, etc. Upon asking for a raise, the store manager informed me that you are put under review A YEAR after the date you are hired. The average raise is about 50 cents.

One idea I've had is to go over to where MLE works; a nearby T-Mobile in the same mall. But trading in the devil you know for one you don't isn't exactly easy.

EDIT - Oh yeah, I'm 18, good with sales/fast-talking/scam jobs, fast typer, okay with computers, and stuff.
Grislygus' best friend
Azrael is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM       
If you are not happy with your job, then go somewhere else. Life is too short to be wasting time with such a low-paying job anyways. If you truly are a fast-talking scam artist, you should go into selling cars or something. I guarantee you will get paid more than 7 bucks an hour.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 01:20 PM       
I work in a mailroom for the state of washington and as of right now I am basically the only person who knows how to do everything, because one guy left and another's in the national guard and is doing stuff for them for the next 3 months, and sometimes it makes me crazy but hey

I want a job w/ computors, preferrably one where i'm making $20/hour or more + benefits, but i aint got a comp. sci. degree or anything so getting one w/ the state is gonna be effing hard

i should probably go get my a+ cert renewed
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 01:27 PM       
I'm working odd hours at the Indiana University Geology Dept., moving rocks around and cataloguing fossils. I could work a lot more hours than I do, but I'm trying to overcome laziness in that regard. It's $7, but I might soon start working either for the postal service as a rural carrier or for some TOP SECRAT COMPANY as a fac totem, starting out translating and writing articles. Either of those new jobs would pay really really well, but if they don't come through then I'm content with doing what I'm doing until I start back into studies probably next semester.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
No sir, I don't like it
DeadKennedys is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 02:31 PM       
I work at a shitty fast food place, Cookout, for 7 an hour, weekly paychecks. Good thing is, I work the window, so I flirt with cute girls, make fun of stupid customers, and give people the wrong change

-Sethomas, Cunning Linguist
ima nice lady
nothing4buddha is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 03:56 PM       
I work at a Hollywood Video making $8 an hour but when minimum wage goes up next year it'll be about $10.25-ish. I boss people around and comrade rocket works next door at Game Crazy.

During the week I also work at the chem lab at Folsom Lake College where I play my gameboy, dilute solutions, and clean up spills. I only get $7 an hour there though
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 04:45 PM       
I lost 5 jobs in the past 3 years! One I was fired (for stealing a tv that was given to me by my superviser), one I just quit, the other three the businesses went under!

Now I am unemployed and very content with my life!

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 05:51 PM       
I used to run my own teeny tiny video game development company that specialized in proprietary arcade hardware. After we went under due to extreme naivety and producer dickery, I was unemployed for a few months and eventually took a labor job at my father's company for some spending money and to repay my business debts, then took a job as an electrician helper at the same job site for the same reasons and medical insurance. I also am training as a mobile DJ on the side because I like it ;<

Oh and zchimid, you totally should look into being a used car salesman. You have to be punctual as balls, but you seem to be more than responsible enough to pull it off.
Archduke Tips is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 05:59 PM       
I design refrigerator lighting.

I love this job! I get to work with people in India every morning, and I may be going to Mexico soon to prepare a plant for manufacturing. Plus the team I work with in the US is awesome.

I couldn't be happier.
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 06:45 PM       
I work at a movie theater where I mostly work as a projectionist or box officer. A couple weeks ago I was paid to watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre becasue I built up the print. Projection is rad because you get to be by yourself all day and you mostly just have to be there if anything fucks up.

I also work box office a lot durring the weekends which can be fun because you can talk shit about people right in front of them, all you have to do is move your face a few inches away from the mike. Also when people are rude you can say things and not worry about getting punched.

Occasionally they make me work Concession but it's usually on a weekday when theres barely any customers, so I'm basically just hanging out with one of the managers all day (I'm pretty much friends with all of the managers).

I applied to be a manager but didn't get it because somebody else who was somebody's brother applied and HE got it. For a while I was angry because I already didn't like him before he got the job, and he was barely compitent as a regular emplyee, but he was a suckup and aparently campaigned for the job before a possition was even available. He was fired after a couple of months and was gone for good, thank god.
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 07:06 PM       
I take boxes off a truck and through them into Old Navy.

In 2 weeks, I will begain my new life as a Coast Guardsman.
retrocool
Dire Flamingo is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 07:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnthatDavid
I take boxes off a truck and through them into Old Navy.

In 2 weeks, I will begain my new life as a Coast Guardsman.
Fill one with snakes before you quit.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 07:15 PM       
n/m
Banned

Womti sucksWomti sucksWomti sucksWomti sucks
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 07:33 PM       
bleh, who the fuck is womti?
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 07:34 PM       
While I'm at school I get paid 6.75 an hour, 15 hours a week to yell at kids when they make noise and patrol the halls of dorms shaking keys to get them to be scared.

At home on breaks I bake bread for 9 dollars an hour.

This summer I wanna do something like a comp sci. intership, or just lots of summer school if I can manage that.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 07:54 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing4buddha
I work at a Hollywood Video making $8 an hour but when minimum wage goes up next year it'll be about $10.25-ish. I boss people around and comrade rocket works next door at Game Crazy.
Hey! I work at a movie gallery. I think they're connected :O. WE SHOULD SEE IF WE CAN SEND IM'S THROUGH THE COMPUTERS.

That was very funny. Well done.

Zurala is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 09:29 PM       
I work in a pharmacy for 9 an hour. I love the job, sometimes it's boring, but then again everything is at some point. The people, on the other hand, just need to be shot. I saw less drama when I worked at McD's with a bunch of high school kids. And the sad part is that all of the people that I work with now are supposed to be "mature adults" and they cry at the smallest things.
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 09:32 PM       
Oh yeah, I don't make enough money or get enough hours (even though I get more than almost anybody there) but I live with my parents so its cool
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:19 PM       
Funny thing happened to me tonight.

I was working tonight and got two "job" offers. Sort of.

The first one came from a guy who came in and wanted a pillow. He asked me what my major was, and I just talked with him politely. After a while, he picked up that I was going into media, film, television, acting, whatever, and the guy said that his sister works in the movie business and took down my name and number, and he said she'd give me a call if anything came up. I doubt this will happen.

The second came from a big guy, about 6'6 who talked to me about the slot machine in the store. We made jokes about it, and about some of the other useless but life-enhancing products, and eventually he asked me if I was in school, if I was ambitious, yadda yadda. Then he asked if I was good in leadership positions. I said yes.

He gave me a business card and said he would call me. He is the CEO/President of a business (i don't know what exactly) and told me to call him if he doesn't call me before the week is over.

Chojin, I actually got in big trouble today for being consistently late. Some of it is really my fault (forgetting the renaissance faire was still in town and getting stuck in horrible traffic) but some is just unavoidable circumstance when it comes to leaving school at 1 and having to be at work at 2. Plus to be a salesman like that, I get the impression I'd have to be either extremely sleazy or extremely charismatic, neither of which I actually am :=
LIVE @ THE GHETTO HILTON!
jin is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:56 PM       
I work as a manager for one of the biggest outsourcing firms in Australia, in the department that deals with the biggest ticketing agent in Australia. ;D

I get 48K a year, it's pretty neat. ;>

I'm trying to get Chojin hired as an international telecommuter. ;p

I need this job to pay for my race car ;o
kitatsdiuqil
liquidstatik is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:58 PM       
how'd you manage to get such a job? ;x
LIVE @ THE GHETTO HILTON!
jin is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 11:06 PM       
I don't know? i just sort of did some random things in the company and then they were like "you're hired". ;O
kitatsdiuqil
liquidstatik is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 11:21 PM       
i can't tell if thats sarcasm or not :<

but either way, i still can't find a job worth having. everything 'round here is fast food or wal-marts. :<
Archduke Tips is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 06:32 AM       
Do you have a degree or any marketable skills?
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 07:57 AM       
I am a sound designer for cartoons.
About time I got to do something fun after YEARS of the dullest corporate shit imaginable.