Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 05:46 PM        Putting together a new computer
I've been thinking about building a new one for myself for a while now, but I'm not sure what kinds of components I want for it. For me, the biggest obstacle is trying to decide on a CPU/motherboard. I've got my eye on the Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 because from what I've read, it looks like it gives more FPS (when coupled with a decent GPU) without costing too much. I'm thinking of getting a GeForce 8800 GT 512mb for the very same reason.

So I'm open to suggestions. I'll mainy be using it for gaming, and any video/audio conversion will be purely incidental.

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 08:13 PM       
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131225

The Asus P5K-E, it supports nVidia's SLI, among other things.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 01:16 AM       
Boogie, you're pretty much describing my current setup. I've got an Intel Core 2 Quad and a GeForce 8800 GTS, but the GT is a newer and better card for probably the same amount I bought mine for a year ago.

I learned to not skimp on motherboards, so I got a really nice one with heatpipes leading to the north and south bridges. My last mobo died due to the northbridge overheating :<
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 08:24 AM       
Same as Chojin, I have a C2D and 8800GTS. Both are really great bits of kit.

I also agree that spending a bit extra on a decent motherboard is a good investment. If I were to buy a new motherboard today I'd probably be looking for a nForce 780i board or possibly Intel X38 (though the X38 chipset does not support SLI). Both represent the best in terms of performance of features right now, but are still expensive.