Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 11:15 PM        PS3 playable kiosks in stores
Who here has played them? What do you think? I just got back from Best Buy, and I had a good 10 minutes with it. I forget what the game was, but it was some sort of offroading racing game. Here's what I thought:

Graphics: Absolutely gorgeous car details, and the environments were decent, as well. One thing that bothered me, though, was the grass. I know it's a little thing, but if I'm running over grass, it shouldn't stand straight up and pass through my car as if it weren't real. Still, all in all, gorgeous. Damage to the cars was nice, too.

Sound: Averavge. It sounded just like any game from this generation. Not that that's bad, but I got tired of the crappy rock in the background the whole time.

Controls: This was a big one for me. I couldn't stand them. Accellerate was the R2 shoulder trigger, which felt wierd to me, and you turned using the gyroscopes. Good idea, bad in execution. It was a bit too sensitive for me. I would turn slightly, and I would crash into a wall. Other times, I would be banking my ass all the way right or left, and still crash into the wall right in front of me. Too spotty.

Ok, that's it for my review of the game. Now for my take on the console itself. One game isn't going to show me much, since all of the above nitpicks I had could be either the fault of the game or the console, and I have no way to know which. Still, my review of the controller:

Button layout: Exactly like PS2, which is enough for me to not like it, but not hate it either.

Shoulder triggers: One of the couple new features on the controller, but I didn't like them all that much. Trigger buttons are tradisionally contoured to fit with the finger, however, the PS3's triggers curved outwards, making them feel rather awkward to press. I'm sure it would take very little to get used to, but I still didn't like the feel of it.

Gyroscopic control: As I said, it seemed spotty, but that could have been the fault of the game itself, so I don't know right now if it's bad or good.

Rumble (or lack thereof): Sounds nitpicky, but I really missed the rumble during my time with this game. I would crash, and my hands felt like there should be something happening, but nothing did. Sounds small, but it made a difference to me.

All in all, I would say I give this game a 5 out of 10, and the console's controller, a 7. Wasn't impressed, but it has the potential to surprise me in the future. After, of course, the price drop. My take? Wait it out. Wait about a year or two before you consider it. Sony's notirious with bugs, anyway.

Oh, I almost forgot. This was completely the game's fault, and not the console's, but it's a huge gripe I had. When I was choosing my car, the camera began to pull out a bit. I didn't mind this, because I got to see the environment. I started to mind, though, when the camera was pulled back so far that the car was no bigger than one of the letters on this post. Seriously, I coudn't see what car I was picking by the time I chose, and the camera was still moving. Why is a game that broken being released?