Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Marine is probably a spambot
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 04:49 AM        how do i make a sig?
seriosly i dont know.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:16 AM       
i want a sig
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:18 AM       
You wrap yourself up in a tight little ball, and shout 'SIGGY SIGGY SIGGY' then you go to sleep (no peeking!) and in the morning there will be a tiny baby signature in the bed nuzzling gently against your despair.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:19 AM       
HEY i really mean it
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:24 AM       
HTML is composed of tags. HTML tags are always enclosed in angle-brackets ( < > ) and are case-insensitive; that is, it doesn't matter whether you type them in upper or lower case. I almost always use upper case, because it makes the tags easier to pick out in a document, but that's just me. You can do whatever you like.

Tags typically occur in begin-end pairs. These pairs are in the form

<tag> ... </tag>
where the <tag> indicates the beginning of a tag-pair, and the </tag> indicates the end. (The three dots indicate an arbitrary amount of content between the tags.) The usual way to refer to each tag is "tag" for the first and "slash-tag" for the second, where tag is the actual name of the tag being discussed.

These pairs define containers. Any content within a container has the rules of that container applied to it. For example, the text within a "boldface container" would be boldfaced. Similarly, paragraphs are defined using a "paragraph container."

Thinking of tag-sets as containers will help in another way: it will help you remember that tags should always be balanced. In other words, you should keep containers nested within each other, just as you would have to do in the real world. Let's try some visual examples where we actually draw the containers:

Why should you worry about this? Well, if you start overlapping containers as shown on the right, about the best you can expect is that the document will be formatted in unexpected ways.

One more thing to keep in mind with regards to containers. Since HTML is based on these structures, it is often the case that the arrangement of text within a container is irrelevant. For example, within a paragraph container, all of the text can be in one long line, or in a series of separate lines, or with every word on its own line, or with every word separated from every other by nineteen spaces. These would all be displayed exactly the same.

Therefore, try to keep in mind this thought: whitespace doesn't matter. (Whitespace is all of the blank areas in a text file--empty lines, extra spaces, and so on.) I'll mention this again when discussing the paragraph tag, and it will crop up in other places. Again: whitespace doesn't matter.

Having said all that, I will now attempt to muddy the waters a bit by mentioning that not every tag in HTML is paired. Some tags, such as the line-break tag, stand on their own (that is, they have no closing tag). These are known as empty tags. As we encounter them, I'll point them out.

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:28 AM       
i just want a picture
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:39 AM       
make one and upload it to a server that allows remote linking

this is futher discussed in the questions and suggestions forum, just look around for it
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:40 AM       
i unnerstan nuthing
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:43 AM       
http://www.i-mockery.net/viewtopic.php?t=10575
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:44 AM       
ok
wiener touches ceiling
Studio8 is probably a spambot
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 12:02 AM       
You've done good with this information.