Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are vehicles in Banjo a good thing?
Yes 4 33.33%
No 3 25.00%
Dont care 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Title
Jeff The Ninja is probably a spambot
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 10:00 PM        Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts
Why did they have to ruin the game with Vehicles? I thought that the Running and Jumping was all that was needed in platform games.

Founder of the E.P.O.A.E.P.I.C.A.P.H.W.H. Looking for Recruits

XBL Gamertag: KING HATESTAR
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 10:05 PM       
Never played crash bandicoot 2 huh.
Title
Jeff The Ninja is probably a spambot
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 10:21 PM       
Nah, I was a nintendo kid. Hell, i didnt play Final Fantasy VII until about 2001.

Founder of the E.P.O.A.E.P.I.C.A.P.H.W.H. Looking for Recruits

XBL Gamertag: KING HATESTAR
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 10:28 PM       
i need to play it but i heard good things

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Man Next Door
HappyHamster is probably a spambot
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 02:36 AM       
I dont think the vehicles will ruin the game at all. I think it adds something new to the game. Definitely looking forward to this one.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 04:15 AM       
WHY YOU GOTTA MAKE A POLL FOR, JUST FUCKING ASK PEOPLE
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 11:36 AM       
It's one thing to introduce an inventive vehicle creation system that immerses the player and forces them to think within the boundaries of your world, ask them to adapt to challenges you set by giving them the tools, then lean back upon your directors chair and observe how they mortar the bricks.

It's entirely another to take an established franchise and tack said creation system onto it. Sure, cultivating an entirely new IP is much more difficult and expensive than just relying on a known brand, but if you're going to introduce an entirely new mechanic then for fucks sake don't make it the central focus of the game. Banjo-Kazooie was good enough at differentiating itself from other platform games through the music, level design and art style, it just feels to me like the guys at Rare have some kind of inferiority complex and thought "man, Ratchet and Clank are so much better than us, we need a new direction."

From what I've been reading, they just took away all of Kazooie's abilities and gave them to the cars. So now instead of being an annoyingly sarcastic twat that shot eggs, super jump or fly, now she's just an annoying sarcastic twat with no powers, and the futility of her existence just makes her even more annoying. She was never really funny, she was just there because she made Banjo do cool shit. Now she's just popping out of the backpack to make an off-color remark that Boggy Bear will handily ignore and she'll retreat in your backpack to resume her steady diet of not doing a Goddamn thing.

I guess platform games just don't sell like they used to. Besides that, the 360 is hardly the market for a cartoon platformer.
Man Next Door
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 01:06 PM       
Im reading all of that and agreeing... But I dont think the vehicle stuff will make the game -that- bad either.

The thing is, this is what happens to series now... We all know a series that we held close and died a bit inside as we watched its body be stuffed with rotting rats and then set on fire, it happens. Yes, it probably wasnt the smartest of ideas to make this vehicle thing the main aspect of the game but it still looks decent... Besides, what could they do in terms of platforming, that they havent already done?
At least they're trying to go in a different direction instead of spoon feeding you the same overplayed nonesense so many other games do.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM       
I bought it, and I absolutely love it. The game play may be different from the originals, but the story makes you feel like you're playing a N64 game, and I adore that.
Man Next Door
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 03:13 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I bought it, and I absolutely love it. The game play may be different from the originals, but the story makes you feel like you're playing a N64 game, and I adore that.
Glad to hear it but Im curious about the whole "building the vehicle" thing... I cant get it (no cash, blah blah blah). Is it very linear, as in "you must build it like this", or can you make pretty much whatever you want, within reason?
pickled
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 03:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHamster View Post
Glad to hear it but Im curious about the whole "building the vehicle" thing... I cant get it (no cash, blah blah blah). Is it very linear, as in "you must build it like this", or can you make pretty much whatever you want, within reason?
It reminds me of lego racers.

You obtain new parts finding crates in the environments and taking them back to Mumbo, or by completing tasks. You can have a certain amount of each part before you run out, but you have to be careful about how you go about it. If you make your car too cluttered it will be heavy and slow.
Man Next Door
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 03:28 PM       
Ah alright then, so it makes you think ahead of time before just throwing stuff together? I like that, thanks.
...for breakfast?!
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 05:18 PM       
You know what? I'm sure it's fun. I'm 100% sure it's a lot of fun to build trains and planes and automobiles and hovercrafts and assorted place-goers.

But you know what?

It's not Banjo-Kazooie. That's my issue. The "story" isn't good, it never was--the characters were. But I don't want to play a game with Banjo-Kazooie's characters and Lego Racers gameplay. I'm not going to eat peanut butter and grilled cheese sandwiches either.
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 05:21 PM       
It is Banjo-Kazooie. Says so right on the box.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 05:38 PM       
You are concerned about story in Banjo-Kazooie? I mean... wtf... really? I mean really?
pickled
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 06:17 PM       
Banjo-Kazooie has never really had a story, the whole thing was just a mockery of other video games. It has always been like that, and this game is no different. I do miss the classic platforming, but if you want to be that much of a baby about it you can just download the original games from Xbox Live arcade.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 07:52 PM       
He only has a wii, which is probably where his OUTRAGE is stemming from.

That was very funny. Well done.
pickled
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 07:54 PM       
Yep, that'd explain it.
Oozes machismo
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 07:55 PM       
Wii owners should be used to disappointment.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 07:55 PM       
Mabye if you idiots would read his fucking posts you'd be able to see why he's angry?

Just a thought you know
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 07:58 PM       
I did read his posts, you fucking sycophant. All he said was "it's not banjo kazooie!" and it's going in a different direction. Those aren't really valid complaints.

Edit: Also, I don't know how any console can be "not right" for a type of game. Plenty of people enjoy platformers; you don't need to own a wii to play them. That should be a good thing for most people.

...for breakfast?!
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 08:21 PM       
I wasn't complaining about the story in B-K. In fact, I'm doing the exact opposite--it's stupid. It always has been. The characters are great, the art direction is great, the music is great, the story is insipid. Whether or not this is on the console I own has nothing to do with it, I played the demo at Chojin's house and just didn't like it because it wasn't what I enjoyed. Not much else to say. Sure, I'm upset that they did it, but I'm sure it's a really good game otherwise, it's just not Banjo-Kazooie. If I had a 360 or if it were on Wii, sure I'd buy it. I like the franchise. Hell, I'd enjoy it too. But it wouldn't be what I wanted.

Using an outrageous example, remember Metal Gear Acid? How it was a card game, right? Okay, imagine that happening, but that's it. They don't continue making MGS games on the side, they don't keep on with the series established foundations, they completely flip the chessboard and decide to play checkers. Third-person stealth is out, everyone make room for parlor games.

I also never said that the game "wasn't right" for the 360. There's definitely a market for everything. I'm just saying let's not kid ourselves; do you think a cartoonish action/adventure/platform game is going to do better on the Wii or 360? Note that I said BETTER, not WELL.

Also Zomboid, what in your mind constitutes a valid complaint? That you can't play said game in HD whilst rolling in your caddy? That you need to shoot some niggas? Inquiring minds want to know.

Maybe I'm overstating my anger here, because I'm not flying into hysterics or boycotting the game over the change. I'm just disappointed.

I also invite Nick to eat a metric ton of dicks at his leisure.
Oozes machismo
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 08:34 PM       
I understand your disappointment to a degree. I remember feeling similarly when they gave Mario that water jetpack in Super Mario Sunshine. And while it changed things up, it didn't shake the foundations of the franchise, and the game was still quite good.
Man Next Door
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 08:47 PM       
Schimid ...

Change happens over time, theres nothing you can do about it. Its better for a company to actually try to do something new and either progress further or crash and fail, over doing the same shit the "fans" want. I mean, would you want to play the same thing over and over again? If you really wanted that, then just re-play a good game...

Edit: It does suck that they had to pretty much make some character changes, making them useless... but you know what? I can make me a car. If I want to use the character the same way in the previous games, Id play the previous games.
The Wolf
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 08:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schimid View Post

Using an outrageous example, remember Metal Gear Acid? How it was a card game, right? Okay, imagine that happening, but that's it. They don't continue making MGS games on the side, they don't keep on with the series established foundations, they completely flip the chessboard and decide to play checkers. Third-person stealth is out, everyone make room for parlor games.

I also never said that the game "wasn't right" for the 360. There's definitely a market for everything. I'm just saying let's not kid ourselves; do you think a cartoonish action/adventure/platform game is going to do better on the Wii or 360? Note that I said BETTER, not WELL.

Also Zomboid, what in your mind constitutes a valid complaint? That you can't play said game in HD whilst rolling in your caddy? That you need to shoot some niggas? Inquiring minds want to know.

Maybe I'm overstating my anger here, because I'm not flying into hysterics or boycotting the game over the change. I'm just disappointed.

I also invite Nick to eat a metric ton of dicks at his leisure.
Well, I don't know what to tell you. I've never been a huge banjo-kazooie fan, but I did enjoy the first one. Them changing things up causes you to dislike it, but you'd still buy it and enjoy it? I can kind of understand that you're upset with the changes, but it sounds like they're minor problems at best if you'd still buy and enjoy the thing.

Who knows if they're gonna keep the changes, though? They'll probably just gauge fan and critic reaction to this one and go from there. Don't jump to conclusions.

Yeah, it would probably do better on wii, considering how many wii owners are children, but who cares? Nintendo doesn't own rare and now there's another kid-friendly game on the 360. Everybody wins :D...Except wii owners.

Your complaints weren't valid because you pretty much just said "I DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE IT'S NOT THE SAAAAME!" Here, you elaborated and made a good point or two. Now we have a better idea of what you were saying. Also, what the fuck are you even implying? Caddys and niggas? What?

Edit: Jeff's a dumb fuck. That also needed to be said.