Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:16 PM       
I agree with Jamesman. Nintendo might release one more system, but if it turns out the same way as the N64 or GC (handful of good games, almost all made by Nintendo), I bet it will be their last console. They can't afford to do that forever... well, with GBA sales they probably could, but sooner or later their shareholders will realize it doesn't make much financial sense.

I don't like Sony or Microsoft, and seeing Nintendo go 3rd party would be a little sad, but it seems pretty inevitable right now.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:19 PM       
The elite Nintendo-made 64 games
-Mario 64
-Zelda: OoT
-Zelda: MM
-Star Fox 64
-Wave Race 64
-Mario Kart 64
-F-Zero X
-Kirby 64
-Super Smash Brothers
-Paper Mario
-Mario Tennis 64
-1080 Snowboarding

Yoshi's Story and Pilotwings 64 could also be mentioned

To name another non Nintendo title, International Superstar Soccer was a great game.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:32 PM       
The GC and its games are doing fine. I don't see why people keep acting like it is shitting out or something.

As for the 64 controller, I liked it. The joystick was one of the most responsive ever made. It was a little funky looking but I didn't have any problems with it.

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:50 PM       
I absolutely HATED the N64. And yeah, the Gamecube definitely isn't hurting, they've got much better games (including more adult themed ones) than the N64 ever did. Combine that with the Gameboy Advance system (which you'll soon be able to play on your Gamecube) and it's obvious that they're in no real danger at the moment.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrpgland
Overall the Nintendo/Rare games really make the system but was that so bad?
Well, yes. In the end, you're basically buying a system just for games made by the same company. Would you rather buy a PS2 or X-Box, AND a Gamecube, or just a PS2 or X-Box?

The bottom line is the number of quality exclusive titles not made by Nintendo are too scarce to really justify buying a Nintendo system for anything other than their trademark characters (if that). And it just doesn't seem like many people would be stupid enough to buy another Nintendo system just for a new Mario game every year, know what I mean? It'd be a better business decision to go third party.

As for the GC doing poorly: In 2002, the PS2 sold almost 4 times as many Gamecubes. Just a statement. I know I had some better figures somewhere, but I can't find them. But they basically stated that the PS2 sold more consoles in just 2-3 months than Nintendo sold of GC the whole year.

"the Gameboy Advance system (which you'll soon be able to play on your Gamecube)"

That's another thing that bothers me. If Nintendo ran the world, you'd have to buy 2 systems, 3 add-ons, and a new peripheral or two just to take a shit. "Forcing" people to pucshase so many additional products just to play one game isn't the best way to do business. As for the GBA. If I wanna play SNES games, I have an SNES, most of the games, and a emulator. No need to spend another $100 for a GBA I can see, and then an additional $40 per game that I already own. And don't get me started on the eReader, eCards, and game link adapter.

And I'll save you the trouble, Rog:

But that's a story for another time. Let's get back on track here.

New NARC game. Let's dance.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:11 PM       
But that is the PS2..... can't say much else.. The GC, by standards, is doing fine. Nintendo isn't hurting.

I like the franchise games. At least Nintendo has them. It's about quality, not quantity. I'd rather play some of the best games I have ever played than play a bunch of good games.

The 64 produced enough excellent games that I was very happy with the system. Sure, some games pissed me off and certain games never saw the light of day over here. I own around 20 64 games and at least 3/4 of them are right up there and a few would be on my Top 10 all time list. I didn't really need anymore. The run wasn't that long but even if it wasn't successful for Nintendo, I got alot of good gaming out of it. I expect the GC to do the same thing except it is off to a quicker start.

The GC isn't doing too bad on exclusive non Nintendo titles so far. Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil games, and Star Fox Adventures. Hell, even Retro Studios made Metroid Prime. It is also getting a exclusive Harvest Moon which is looking to be the best one to date.

My 64 was just being played yesterday and will be again today. I started a new continue on Ogre Battle 64 (almost done with chapter 2).. too good.

I don't only own Nintendo consoles, mind you (check the console thread). That would be insane with the amount of games I play, I'm just defending a good product.

Mocker

James sucks
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:20 PM       
The bottom line is the GCs aren't selling up to expectations, and Nintendo has admitted to losing third-party support once again. In fact, one example is Resident Evil. RE4 will be the last GC-exlusive title, and will later be ported to other systems.

"I'd rather play some of the best games I have ever played than play a bunch of good games."

See, that's just it though. I feel the same way, except I don't feel Nintendo's games live up to being called "the best I've ever played." And more to the point, I don't see spending another $200-$450 on Nintendo products just to play a Zelda game to the "full extent," or to play a Zelda game at all. I could justify spending $50 on the game, but only if it was for the PS2 or X-Box, where I know I'd find plenty of other games I'd consider "the best."

Anyway, NARC. I wanna find out more.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:22 PM       
I have to wonder why people bitch about these console wars and shit personaly I think the price of a new console is a small price to pay compared to the 50 dollars per game most people spend. Hell most consoles these days even come with a game.

I really dont understand Jamesmans complaints about so much nintendo hardware. That shit is optional you dont NEED it to enjoy the games, it just adds more features. Frankly I miss the sega genisis and its wacky add-ons. I wish more systems would do it (although it is destined to fail).

The n64 was a decent system with a horrible controller. It didnt have nearly as many great games as the playstation but it probaly had enough to make it worth owning.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:46 PM       
hehe, yeah, this discussion keeps getting more and more familiar.

New Narc, I hope it will kick ass. Took them long enough.

Grazzt is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:39 PM       
I'd rather play an Intellivision than an N64.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:42 PM       
yeah yeah, trendy Nintendo bashing. It all goes back to what I have said before. Bitching before actually knowing what your bitching about.. Play, then you can bitch.

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:47 PM       
I used to go to my friend's house all the time. He had an N64. I played it. It sucked.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:47 PM       
What games?

Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:25 PM       
I liked everything about n64, even the controller, and i loved a lot of the games on the system.

Chameleon Twist,
Mario 64,
Shadows of the Empire,
Perfect Dark,
Goldeneye,
Duke Nukem: Zero Hour,
Turok,
Turok 2,
Ocarina of Time
Bomberman Hero,
WCW Revenge,
Mario Party,
Super Smash Bros,
Mario Kart 64,
War Gods,
Hexen,
MK4,
Diddy Kong Racing,
and even Pokemon Snap. (Fuck you, it was a good idea).

I had a lotta fun with that system, despite the fact i only owned something like ten n64 games up until i sold it last year. Yay for rentals.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:31 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesman
As for the GBA. If I wanna play SNES games, I have an SNES, most of the games, and a emulator. No need to spend another $100 for a GBA I can see, and then an additional $40 per game that I already own.
That's just ignorant. Yes there are some re-releases of old SNES games, but there are a TON of games on the GBA that aren't on any other system that absolutely rule. Out of all systems on the market today, the GBA has more games that interest me by a longshot. Just because the graphics are from SNES times, doesn't mean they're SNES games. Get your facts straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timrpgland
yeah yeah, trendy Nintendo bashing. It all goes back to what I have said before. Bitching before actually knowing what your bitching about.. Play, then you can bitch.
Exactly.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:34 PM       
Hey, the n64 did kick ass. The games tim mentioned and more alone made it worth getting. Mario 64 was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. As for the controller gripe, I don't see what the problem is. I loved using it. The only thing I didn't like were the C buttons for fighting games. The joystick was very responsive though. I think overall I prefer it to the ps/ps2 controller.

As for nintendo and it's "failing"....I kinda have to agree with jamesman on some stuff here. I was thinking about getting a gcn soon but when I think about the games I'll be getting, most of em are "if they get made" or "when it's released" types and I really have trouble shelling out a couple hundred bucks for that...But I'm too much of a nintendo fan boy not to

Btw, perfect dark and conker's bad fur day kick ass

That was very funny. Well done.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:50 PM       
Jamesman, you won't buy a GBA because of SNES ports? Did you even know that the GBA is portable ?

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:00 PM       
Yeah, it did have a lot of good games, but in general it sucked. Just look at Quest 64. Pound for pound, game for game, I'd rather have purchased a Playstation in that era.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:01 PM       
No, I have a GBA. I won't buy any games because none interest me, and I can't see them, and I'm not going to spend another $100 because Nintendo fucked up. And as for it being portable, I don't know about you guys, but I don't need to play videos games every second of the day. I can go take a shit or a trip to Grandma's without needing to play Yoshi's Island.

So yeah, the NARC game, Not much is known about it, but the magazine said that it'll remind you more of GTA and State of Emergency than the original. So I take that to mean mission-based, free-roaming around a city, and taking on large groups of enemies.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:14 PM       
And needles
Pickled Patriarch
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 10:34 PM       
Quote:
No, I have a GBA. I won't buy any games because none interest me
That's your own problem, not ours. There's more interesting games on the GBA than the GC, PS2, and X-Box combined if you ask me.

Quote:
and I can't see them, and I'm not going to spend another $100 because Nintendo fucked up.
Actually, you fucked up cuz you bought one. I waited a long time because I knew the price would go down, and then I heard they were working on a new one with a light, and I waited and then I heard they have one that you can play in your GameCube. Now THAT is the one to get. I don't need the portable stuff because I don't travel (but it would be great for people who do travel a lot). But being able to play all of those badass Gameboy Advance games (along with all the other gameboy games of the past) on the big TV is gonna be sweet.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 11:38 PM       
I agree the gba interests me the most too. I got a gba sp and once I get my flash cart I can play games at work.

It is pretty badass too cause u can run a nes emulator on the gba too.
Mocker
Cap'n Crunch is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2003, 01:26 AM       
Quote:
I'm obviously speaking about when the GC runs its course, and the X-Box2 and PS3 are out.

Besides, the graphics that the PS2 can produce aren't as bad as people like to play them up as. But that's beside the point.

The point is, Nintendo game products have not lived up to both consumer and business expectations, and developers are once again shying away from making exclusive titles for Nintendo. Long story short: If Nintendo keeps on the way they are, you're basically buying a Nintendo system to play Nintendo games, and nothing else. They'd be better off cutting out the system part, and making their money as a third-party developer and merchandising.
I get a subscription to GameInformer magazine, and they mentioned that Nintendo has a new system lined up to hit the market at least one year before the other graphics do. I think Gamecube is a great system, and the titles they have out now are pretty cool, but that Zelda that they scrapped, from the screenshots, would have been fucking great.

As for the Nintendo games on X-Box and PS2, I don't think it would work. The point is that PS2 does have pretty bad graphics. Dreamcast came out I think 2 years before it, and still has better graphics. I look for a system with great games, and Nintendo always suits me. Besides, most of Sega's games are terrible, I think that is why it didn't launch in the market like PS2 did.

I have no intention of buying PS3. The Playstation name will be all washed up by then, and it still won't even have the graphics of most of the systems out today.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 1st, 2003, 03:11 AM       
And people say I'm ignorant.

"That's your own problem, not ours. There's more interesting games on the GBA than the GC, PS2, and X-Box combined if you ask me."

Matter of opinion. And I never said it was your problem that none of the games appeal to me. I mean, sure there are a few, but I just don't see the point in buying them.

"Actually, you fucked up cuz you bought one. I waited a long time because I knew the price would go down, and then I heard they were working on a new one with a light, and I waited and then I heard they have one that you can play in your GameCube."

I got my GBA because it was a deal in Nintendo Power to get it for about $15 cheaper. And I figured I'd find games I'd like. I was wrong.

More importantly, I would have been completely happy buying a GBA SP if it came out 4 years later, not less than two. Nintendo knew they fucked up, because everyone was complaining. And I knew I fucked up for having faith in Nintendo. But I'm still working on a letter to them about this matter, because I do feel that this whole thing is wrong, and I'm not satisfied with the situation.

"As for the Nintendo games on X-Box and PS2, I don't think it would work. The point is that PS2 does have pretty bad graphics."

Didn't I say I was talking about X-Box2 and PS3? Fucking read. As for the PS2 having bad graphics... matter of opinion. There are certain things only the PS2's graphics engine can do that not even the X-Box can do. And personally, I see nothing overly inferior in the graphics when compared to GC and XB.

Besides, you're going to tell me that the PS2 couldn't handle the graphics of games like Mario Sunshine and Zelda? Please.

"I have no intention of buying PS3. The Playstation name will be all washed up by then, and it still won't even have the graphics of most of the systems out today."

Quite the informed opintion there. Besides, with a processor as powerful as the PS3's is supposed to be (100 times faster than a Pentium 4), I don't see why the graphics would be oh-so horrid.
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2003, 04:02 AM       
My take on the situation:

Having grown up with Nintendo (not getting a Genesis or any other system until I got older and played the ROMS) I do have a lot of faith in Nintendo's games, but my faith in the company itself is starting to ooze a feeling of disappointment.

While I know like RoG, I find a lot more enjoyment out of a GBA than I do out of a PS2 and XBox, I also find myself startled at Nintendo's aggressive "You sucker!" sales tactics. Nintendo prides itself on it's reputation (to a point, deservedly so) so badly that it prices third parties right out of the market into the open arms of Microsoft and Sony. Not only that, but it seemed like an insult to me as a consumer to be forced to shell out quite a bit more money just to see a LITTLE more, mind you, of a game they've released, and for us that are not "finished" with a game until we've done 100% of what we could with it, I find that downright loathesome.

A perfect example is Metroid Prime. Granted, getting the original NES version of Metroid and a new costume isn't that big a deal, but I like finishing every last bit of a game before I declare it beaten, and to have to buy a whole new system and a whole new game just to get the original version and a damn costume is a bit ridiculous. I love Metroid Prime, I love Metroid Fusion, I don't like having to pay out of the ass to see everything there is to see in both games.

So as a game player, I'm mildly disappointed, as a consumer and a loyal supporter of Nintendo, I'm disenchanted.

As far as Sony goes... why is everyone bitching about the graphics? "Sony's graphics are nowhere NEAR GCN and XBox caliber!" If graphics is SOLELY what you base your opinion on, then my friend you're missing out on a LOT of good games. To this day, by today's standards, Super Mario Bros. has absolutely fucking HORRIBLE graphics and I'd rather play that than shit like BMX XXX, which not even the promise of nudity can help that this is a SHITTY GAME.

I liked my N64, though as someone who doesn't play sports games (except wrestling) I found a few less titles I liked as you guys, but I can't look back and say "This was a shitty system". For my dollar, and for the enjoyment I got out of it, I consider the 64 a success. Not an over the top success, but a success nonetheless.

Realistically, if too many more people feel like I do though, it's very possible Nintendo will go the way of Sega. Mario and Pikachu aren't going to bail their asses out forever.