Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM       
DP was the money IIRC. Doesn't happen till you're Lucas.

rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 10:49 PM       
gotcha

i've reread some of the posts in this thread, and i'm surprised by how many people are still worshipping earthbound. i used to (THANKS STARMEN.NET) but it was blind faith. after a good conversation with PG i realized that it isn't that amazing. i then replayed it (after having played through twice) and somehow missed 3 sanctuary locations/bosses. the problem is, it lacks a good direction with the story. so far with mother3 there's a very constant direction (given that you play each chapter [SO FAR] from a different perspective, that i can't see how i would get lost

oh, and i recently STOPPED playing earthbound because i was poo and for some reason couldn't get my muu training going so yeah fuck earthbound yay mother3
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 12:19 AM       
uh... there were hint booths if you got lost.

That was very funny. Well done.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 01:00 AM       
bigtimecow you'll be bigtimedead when I'm through with you

I just got the Shyness book for the Tenda Village in Earthbound, so I'll be done with that game soon and I'll give Mother 3 another shot.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 02:31 AM       
You shouldn't worry about grinding for money in Mother 3. There was no point in the game where I didn't have enough cash to buy whatever my sweet little heart desires. You certainly don't have to be frugal.
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:04 AM       
it's not that i got lost, because according to (in the game) everyone else i was talking to i was on the right track. the problem was i got the 1st sanctuary and the next one i got was (i think) the 4th one, and the game let me skip the 2nd and 3rd, which i later needed to go back to get. i'm just saying the game needs a bit more limitation in some areas so things like that don't happen

trust me, i like earthbound. just so far, mother3 is WAAAY better

Last edited by bigtimecow : Jan 22nd, 2009 at 03:05 AM. Reason: (in the game)
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 04:14 AM       
FUCK YOU!

I never got lost in Earthbound, but maybe that's because I don't suck at it.

BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 12:14 PM       
Near the middle of the game where you're jumping around from Fourside to Summers to Scaraba back to Fourside, Dalaam, Scaraba etc. is the only time where I can get a little bit lost on what to do next even in repeated playings, but that's what the damn hint booths are for.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
has a woody
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 01:00 PM       
A good videogame shouldn't have to specifically tell you where to go. That just acknowledges the fact that it's poorly designed (see: the arrows in Perfect Dark Zero). The average person should be able to figure it out on their own. It also came with a strategy guide. It's like they weren't confident in the game at all.

I seriously doubt everyone who's ever played Earthbound always knew exactly where to go on their first playthrough. It's not a bad game, the charm's definitely there and the writing is sharp, but it's marred by design flaws that should have stayed dead in the NES era (Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior).

Mother 3 takes the good qualities of Earthbound (writing, charm, music, no random battles) and applies modern design to make it a better game.

rockfuckcunt
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 06:08 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Gamma View Post
A good videogame shouldn't have to specifically tell you where to go. That just acknowledges the fact that it's poorly designed (see: the arrows in Perfect Dark Zero). The average person should be able to figure it out on their own. It also came with a strategy guide. It's like they weren't confident in the game at all.

I seriously doubt everyone who's ever played Earthbound always knew exactly where to go on their first playthrough. It's not a bad game, the charm's definitely there and the writing is sharp, but it's marred by design flaws that should have stayed dead in the NES era (Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior).

Mother 3 takes the good qualities of Earthbound (writing, charm, music, no random battles) and applies modern design to make it a better game.
YEAH
The Wolf
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 06:37 PM       
I think you both just suck at it. I showed my friend the game and he'd never played it before, but he managed to find everything no problem. Part of RPGs is exploring anyway. I don't see how anyone can miss something as important as the my sanctuary locations.

The hint booths aren't there because the game is challenging; They're there because it's kind of an intro RPG for a lot of people and not everyone understands that when characters talk about MYSTERIOUS HAPPENINGS at certain locations that you should go and see what they're talking about.

rockfuckcunt
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:19 PM       
the point i'm trying to make is that, whether or not someone sucks at it, you shouldn't be able to get the (say) 3rd sanctuary location if you don't have the 2nd. there is an order to these things, right? or are they numbered for no reason :/
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:17 PM       
Have you guys ever bothered to get the Sword of kings for Poo in Earthbound?

I've played through it 3-4 times and have spend countless hours killing starmen in the spaceship each time but have never gotten it. Same thing with the other 1/128 weapons. I got Paula's frying pan once by luck.
The Wolf
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:30 PM       
I got it one time. It was pretty awesome :O

Quote:
the point i'm trying to make is that, whether or not someone sucks at it, you shouldn't be able to get the (say) 3rd sanctuary location if you don't have the 2nd. there is an order to these things, right? or are they numbered for no reason :/
So your logic is that if you go ahead and get a my sanctuary location that's one or two ahead of the one(s) that you were supposed to go to, that's a bad thing? How so? If you go and do that, you realize it as soon as it plays the song and something's missing. After that, all you need to do is backtrack and find it (with the knowledge that it must be somewhere between the two places that you got your last one and your new one). None of them are even hidden.

Once again, I must theorize that you guys are just terrible gamers

has a woody
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:33 PM       
Eh? I know you feel tough for thinking that, but being bad at it has nothing to do with it. I'm rubbish at most FPS's, but I still think Valve's game design is some of the best in the industry, FPS or not.

It's not like it's hard to advance text.

But if the game flow is so busted that I need to talk to every random NPC in hopes of finding the one that gives me some sense of where to go or what to do, well, fuck that noise. There's spelling it out like every new RPG, and there's the needle-in-a-haystack method that smarter developers dropped years ago. Mother 3 has a nice footing somewhere in the middle.

And I beat the damn game, mind you. Best rape scene in a videogame.

SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:44 PM       
The first time I played through it the game took me like 4-5 months. But that's also renting it from Blockbuster because it was crazy expensive to buy. That's the same Blockbuster too, way before memory cards people and fancy non-cartridge save systems. If Hills didn't close I think I would still have the sucker on lay away.
rockfuckcunt
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:39 PM       
FINE I SUCK AT GAMES :'(
The Wolf
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:09 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Gamma View Post
Eh? I know you feel tough for thinking that, but being bad at it has nothing to do with it. I'm rubbish at most FPS's, but I still think Valve's game design is some of the best in the industry, FPS or not.

It's not like it's hard to advance text.

But if the game flow is so busted that I need to talk to every random NPC in hopes of finding the one that gives me some sense of where to go or what to do, well, fuck that noise. There's spelling it out like every new RPG, and there's the needle-in-a-haystack method that smarter developers dropped years ago. Mother 3 has a nice footing somewhere in the middle.

And I beat the damn game, mind you. Best rape scene in a videogame.
I don't feel tough because I was able to beat the game without a walkthrough or anything, but you should feel like a retard for not being able to.

Really, it's not a fucking hard game. I'm amazed that you think the "game flow is busted" simply because you didn't know what to fucking do. Plenty of other people I know had no problem beating the game without getting stuck forever and then crying like a bitch.

OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:11 AM       
i didn't beat it but it wasn't because i was stuck, it was because i got too frustrated @ being poisoned all the goddamn time in i forget what area now, some swamp thing? idk
rockfuckcunt
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:57 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
Really, it's not a fucking hard game. I'm amazed that you think the "game flow is busted" simply because you didn't know what to fucking do. Plenty of other people I know had no problem beating the game without getting stuck forever and then crying like a bitch.
considering we're talking about personal playthrough experiences and basing our opinions on that, i don't see why using how other people played through it matters. do you think when critics review games they first find out how everyone else played it? they give a personal opinion based on their personal experience. if we didn't know what to do, then there is a problem
rockfuckcunt
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:14 AM       
i'm noticing now that the most serious forums here are philosophy and gaming

GUYS I LOVE YOU ALL, I'M RIGHT, LET'S JUST ADMIT IT AND PUT THIS PAST US

today i'm at work for basically the entire day, but something tells me i'll be taking a lot of "shits" that take "longer than they should" anyone catch my DRRIIIIFT?
The Wolf
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:33 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimecow View Post
considering we're talking about personal playthrough experiences and basing our opinions on that, i don't see why using how other people played through it matters. do you think when critics review games they first find out how everyone else played it? they give a personal opinion based on their personal experience. if we didn't know what to do, then there is a problem
Here's the thing: you two didn't know what to do. Everyone else I know did not have that problem. You're the minority.

Here's a similar situation: 10 people are in line at a vending machine. 8 of the people go through and make their purchases, but two of the people got lost somewhere along the way and didn't know what to do. Why? Because they're retarded. They're also the minority.

There's not a problem with the gameplay. I've said all I need to say on this.

rockfuckcunt
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:08 PM       
kk
The Wolf
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:31 PM       

On this issue, there can be A-NO DEBATE!

rockfuckcunt
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 03:43 PM       
SHIT DELETE THIS