Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 01:31 PM        Video Game Music
So I'm sure there are about 2308762345 threads on this already, but I'm too lazy to find 'em.

What are you favorite video game music composers/artists. They can be the people who actually composed the music or they can be a cover band/artist. It doesn't matter what the style is whether it's a band format or electronic format. Just post some of your favorites. I want to get my hands on all of it, so even if it's something obscure that you don't think people will like post it anyway.

And don't bother posting anything by the Minibosses. We know who they are and what they sound like.

PS: Utilize the Youtube embedding if at all possible because I'm lazy.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 01:37 PM       
http://volteccer.jvmwriter.org/music.shtml
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 01:56 PM       
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM       
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 12:21 AM       
This song is also featured in Sonic Adventure for DC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIVIq0aom3M

Anything really from this game but this one sticks out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGwrbXGq7Tc

Maniac Mansion had some catchy themes. Sometimes one of the songs will randomly pop in my head to this day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxcBg6ki3rY
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:24 AM       
I don't want to pretend like I didn't just look this up but I love Masato Nakamura the composer for Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2.

Had to look this one up as well. David Whitaker's soundtrack for Shadow of the Beast

And I've always been a fan of the music in the Wizards and Warriors games which apparently a guy named David Wise is responsible for. Out of the three artist here Wise is the most prolific VG composer. He did the music for the Donkey Kong Country games too.

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:20 AM       
Splinter Cell's always had a legit soundtrack, I think. Courtesy of Amon Tobin, some guy I've never heard of.

TF2 unrelated, EvilDeadalus just used Splinter Cell music for the video. It's actually 4 songs melded into one suite in this, but I can't find just a single track version anywhere. It changes as you play the level depending on whether you're undetected, being searched for, running away, or fighting dudes. Nifty!

I actually did know before this thread that Akira Yamaoka composes Silent Hill's music, which has always been awesome.

The Dark Hospital's theme in the first game is probably my favorite, but I couldn't find it. Of course, it's also dynamic like Battery and rises to crescendos when you go into a particularly shitty part of the hospital, so I probably wouldn't be able to get a good version anyway.

And Koh Itani's stuff in Shadow of the Colossus.

AND AND AND everything ever in a Metroid game. But mostly this!

No idea who composed it.
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 12:39 PM       
I can't believe I forgot Silent Hill.

Totally awesome, when I bought SH3 it actually came with the soundtrack. The lyrics in Hometown are completely ridiculous.

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 09:07 PM       
Bump!

I generally think of the Half Life series as a good idea that's poorly executed with a few exceptions, but the soundtrack is fucking awesome. Even better is the way the designers select the perfect moments for music to begin playing, giving you the feeling that you're in your very own action movie. It's awesome!

Kelly Bailey composes these, apparently.

filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 11:07 PM       
I can't believe there's no mention of the Mega Man soundtrack here OR any Zelda. Be ashamed in yourselves along with your poor choice of video game music.

First hearing this as a kid made my tally whacker ding dong hard as a rock, I literally went up to puberty and hit it in the face that instant. Best intro music to any game ever.

My favorite video game song of all time. I've spent many times on roadtrips lightin up dem FAT OL' Ls and bumpin this shit with my head out the window trying as hard as I could to replicate the music with my mouth to innocent passerby's. Just imagine some guy in his early twenty's screaming the tune of majora's mask intro theme at you at 3 in the morning.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:55 PM       
Zelda I can take or leave (albeit it is responsible for an iconic piece of video game music now), but MegaMan is admittedly catchy (which is more of a Capcom thing. Remember most of their NES music was catchy.)
Turrican't. :(
Kitsunexus is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 02:55 PM       
Alexander Brandon. He is the Messiah of video game musicians, IMO (He did the entire soundtrack for Jazz Jackrabbit 2, and a bunch of tracks for the original Unreal Tournament and Deus Ex, all my top 3 favorite video game soundtracks).
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 03:05 PM       
Can't forget Kojo Kondo either, he's definitely a corner stone in video game music.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 03:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Can't forget Kojo Kondo either, he's definitely a corner stone in video game music.
Arguably without Koji Kondo, there would be no sophisticated game music, just little 5 second jingles, at least not for another decade.

I mean hell, when someone who doesn't play videogames can hum the Mario level 1 music, that is a PHENOMENON.
God Emperor of Brigadoon

Old Mar 19th, 2010, 01:22 PM       
My all time favorite video game soundtrack.

Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka is the artist. His responsible for the music in a bunch of old games; Mario Bros, Balloon Fight, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus and he composed music for Earthbound as well.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 10:07 AM       
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 02:37 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Hadas View Post
My all time favorite video game soundtrack.

Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka is the artist. His responsible for the music in a bunch of old games; Mario Bros, Balloon Fight, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus and he composed music for Earthbound as well.
Wasn't he also responsible for the original Gameboy Pokemon games, or was that Koji Kondo?
C:enter:###
SLjimbolian is probably a spambot
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 10:45 PM       
I still frequently check out the tracks over at OverClocked ReMix.

The best stuff is their Chrono Trigger and Mega Man sections.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 03:57 AM       
Mega Man 2 and 3 music for real. I find myself looking up music for them from time to time.
Banned
jhonnyD2 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:37 AM       
zelda ... the ocarina of time
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 05:08 PM       
MICHIRU YAMANE ^_____^

Awakened Soul is such an awesome song!
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 11:11 AM       
OK like, I have no idea who composed the music for Sammy's NeoGeo game "Viewpoint" but if I ever found out that they needed an organ transplant I would sell all of my shit and go to Japan so I could give them all my organs.

Stage 1 of that game is just the fucking BUSINESS:

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 10:14 PM       
Quote:
OK like, I have no idea who composed the music for Sammy's NeoGeo game "Viewpoint" but if I ever found out that they needed an organ transplant I would sell all of my shit and go to Japan so I could give them all my organs.
And then you'd stay there and marry a japanese girl who gets off on fat, greasy, stubbley gaijin?