Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 07:28 PM       
OMG, I HOPE PROTOCLOWN DOESN'T FIND THIS THREAD!
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 12:16 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by C:\
All done? Good, cause that is all our feeble Western minds will be able to appreciate on a higher level. Now get back to watching "real" fucking movies, like Kangaroo Jack, you fat, white, french fry eating, undereducated, soft piece of shit.
You are right, I don't understand the tranquil scerenity of a magnificent tentical rape movie, because it is on a higher level. Or I don't see the beauty in an outraeously put together base-character, like the many-time original "vampire that fights evil but is still bad" character that is even more fresh every time it is used. And of course, the omnipresent "panty shot" that adds the last bit of class to every movie.
I cannot take in this advanced form of art. Just talking about it makes my mind overworked and throbbing. I need to watch Kangaroo Jack and Geili for some relief; movies, of course, which all us fat, white americans love and watch constantly.
LOL INTERNETS
Command Prompt is probably a spambot
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 05:15 PM       
I could say something like the Japanese treating sexuality as an art form rather than straight exploitation like western cultures, but even I couldn't buy that one. I totally thought the Japanese were horny and oversexed ever since I saw my first Anime movie. Oddly enough, they usually draw their women to have western qualities, like say BIG GIGANTIC JUBBLIES.

Lye is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 12:31 AM       
watch berserk, its cool
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 12:58 AM       
I'D RATHER WATCH FROGGER OR GORF THANK YOU

-willie

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 03:56 AM       
Out of mainstream anime, the only ones that really impress me are Akira and Hellsing. Though I agree that Akira is overrated.
PonchtheJedi is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 01:58 PM        Anime
I just bought 60 episodes of badly translated One Piece...that's a good one, although it's probably too cartoony for mots folks, but I really enjoy it.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 09:51 AM       
watch:

-vampire hunter d (and bloodlust)
-ghost in the shell: stand alone complex (part 2)
-shin chan (5 minutes of fun!)
-devilman (no complicated plot, but lots of blood/boobs)

would you belive me if i said anime is supposed to have choppy animation? diddnt think so, but its true, i think.

Slim Goodbody
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 01:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dudefather
would you belive me if i said anime is supposed to have choppy animation? diddnt think so, but its true, i think.
Not good ones. Or more apropriately, the one's by Hayao Miyazaki (only one's worth watching).
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 01:49 PM       
Warning: name dropping ahead

Not all anime series are good, but as long as they're not girly ones like Trigun, Ranma, or Fushigi Yuugi, i generally like what i watch. I can think of, off the top of my head, maybe two out of six series i have seen recently that i didn't like. Those Who Hunt Elves and The Bandit King both bored me. Devilman did too, but i think the edited version got switched up with the unedited at the video store. Lupin III, Berserk, Golden Boy, Excel Saga, Soultaker, Evangelion, and Final Fantasy Unlimited are the ones that are good, off the top of my head.

Even though they were pretty crappy, i liked Genocyber, MD Geist, The Guyver, and Blood Reign. Crappy animation is usually found in series that weren't mean to be high-reaching gods of the genre anyway. The movies i just meantioned were parts of small, cheap OVAs that probably weren't meant to even get as far as a second episode, they were just good lo-fi-sci-fi flicks.

The movies you'll want to watch (assuming you didn't hate everything i just mentioned) are:

Akira (I don't think it's that overrated. It had a great soundtrack, a unique story, the animation is incredible, and the art rules. The voice acting for the dub was a little iffy, however, and i think people find it overrated because maybe they don't totally understand the story?)

Princess Mononoke (had everything Akira got 10s in, and then some. Extra points for choosing talented voice actors)

Armitage III: Dual Matrix, AIII Poly Matrix (good artwork, and Armitage's voice actress was really good, she sounded like she was someone's mom, not a 23-year-old lady trying really hard :o)

Street Fighter Alpha (I like the art a lot, and the animation is really not that bad. Plus, people get beat up)

X (haha, just kidding)

Ghost in the Shell (thoughtful plot, good animation, decent voice acting, and the few deaths involved were neat :o)

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (This is as close to a Castlevania aniem you're going to get right now)

Ninja Scroll (solid animation and voice acting, plus lots of blood, lots of deaths, lots of "What the fuck is wrong with japanese people?" moments, lots of swords, and lots of ninjers. Good times for all.)

I still haven't seen Spirited Away or Grave of the Fireflies yet, so i can't tell you anything about those. I doubt anyone read all that anyway. :/

budgetjiggalo is probably a spambot
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 02:28 PM       
You pretty much pegged it for me on Akira, it bored me to death, but I think I'm going to go back and watch it with subs. Spirited Away is fantastic.
Slim Goodbody
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 03:01 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjavenom
Princess Mononoke (had everything Akira got 10s in, and then some. Extra points for choosing talented voice actors)

I still haven't seen Spirited Away yet. :/
Both Hayao Miyazaki. All high budget movies by him are good. And alot of the low-budget one's too. Its still anime though, so it still is on a limited mark. :/

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 03:11 PM       
Here's my thoughts on NV's list (the ones I've seen, anyways):

Akira: I understood the plot of the movie (boy gets psychic powers from blue children, searches city for legendary psychic), the ending just threw me off. I have no idea what the hell happened, and frankly, I don't care enough to watch it over and over again until I do.

Princess Mononoke: A well-animated movie with good voice acting. That's all I got out of this movie. Beyond that, I just saw another ninja movie, this time with an environmentalist overtone.

Armitage III: A good movie. Screw, Dual Matrix, though. That one was just a straight action movie with little else going for it.

X: Yeah, that's funny. Everytime I hear someone refer to the sequel to X-Men as "X2," I always fear that they made a sequel to that awful movie.

Ghost in the Shell: Like the Matrix. Specifically, like the Matrix Reloaded. Any movie that presents itself as an action movie should never contain as much jaw-jacking as this one. Also, cartoon boobies.

Ninja Scroll: A damned good movie, although there were a few WTF moments.

I didn't think Spirited Away was that great, either. I mean, it did look good, but at its heart, it's a children's movie. A weird one, but a kid's movie nevertheless. It just didn't do anything for me.

Again, screw Akira. One movie that everyshould should see is Fist of the North Star. That's just good fun right there.

Also, Slayers is a good one to see.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:30 PM       
Quote:
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (This is as close to a Castlevania aniem you're going to get right now)
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust was the fucking worst movie/anime I've ever seen. The part where the castle turned into a spaceship was so shitty I laughed my ass off. And the voiceovers where fucking terrible. Non of the characters where beleiveable nor had any emotion

And Spirited Away was just fun to watch.

A.S.H. is probably a spambot
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:09 AM       
Well, following the adage about arguing on the internet, I will simply avoid outbursts and stick to non-inflamatory commentary.

I love anime. Whatever. It's my taste, and you have yours. Yes, the hentai is weird. But hell, it's funny as fuck at times simply for the sheer mind fucking absurdity.

Akira, better in it's original format, which is about....2000+ pages of manga goodness. Not to say that you will have all your questions answered by this Dark Horse 6 big volume whopper, but still, it leaves you with a fresher taste in your mouth.

Oh yah, the X/1999 movie was a bad idea. They were trying to make a manga that isn't even finished in Japan yet into a feature film. Way to go you fucking genius. Take the cake out of the oven before it's even risen. Now you've got a ruined cake. EAT IT! TASTE THE BITTER SPOILS OF YOUR STUPIDITY!

I enjoy anime for the reasons many men enjoy certain kinds of women, because it's different from your mom. That's right, YOUR MOM!

Okay, that was inflammatory.

The point I'm trying to get to here is that it's different. I watch anime because it breaks the natural American preconception of 'cartoons are for kids', which still holds very strongly despite the hard work of anime over probably the past twenty years. The last three animated features I saw made by American studios that had some balls to them, were American Pop, Wizards, and Heavy Metal. All of these movies are somewhere within my age range, give or take a few years. Okay, I forgot Cool World. But that's four out of about a metric fuckton of crappy American cartoons where realistic violence and blood is bad, and good and evil is as simple as "I save people, he hurts them!"

I feel I will run onto a tangant (TOO LATE!), so I'll wind it down.

Don't exclude, just be wary, and be open minded. One man's outdated 8-bit cart is anothers nostalgic bliss.
"Who are these people? They look like caricatures of used car dealers from Dallas. And, sweet jesus, there are a hell of a lot of them at four thirty on a Sunday morning." - Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas
I do not do drugs, I am drugs. - Salvador Dali

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:34 AM       
Shut up, nerd.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 09:47 AM       
anyone else watch shin-chan? (not sure if its on in the us)

Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 01:54 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dudefather
anyone else watch shin-chan? (not sure if its on in the us)
Right here. It has its funny moments, and it has its hilarious moments.

It also has its godawful horrible hate-inspiring moments that make me want to gun everybody down who has participated in its creation.

But the funny moments outweight the bad ones by a small margin.
PonchtheJedi is probably a spambot
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 02:05 PM        Shin-Chan
Shin chan is the one about the cats, right? Billed as a fucked up Hello Kitty or something?
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 02:30 PM       
No, Shin Chan's about this really fucked up toddler driving everybody in his vicinity completely insane.

Level_Ten_Balrog43533 is probably a spambot
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:53 PM       
All the good animes came out in 1995-1997, than it stopped. God, I hate those girls who read Card captors, cosplay, and have emails that involve the words Neko.
DON'T F WITH ME
HickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:27 PM       
THANKS FOR BRINGING BACK MY CHARACTER!
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:59 PM       
Donkey Lips was the best character ever. Next to UPC
DON'T F WITH ME
HickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 09:09 PM       
Marilyn :<

Donkey Lips is probably a spambot
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 09:10 PM       
HEY!