Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Location: In that place where i didnt know where we were before
Comrade Rocket is probably a spambot
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 02:52 PM        Nintendo Wii
i really want one

i was reading up on all the Wii channels and its making me want it more. Things like a photo editor, access to the news and the weather and that opera web browser has got me really excited for its release. The fact that its all gonna be wifi makes me even that much more excited.

I could just see it. You start up your wii and check the news and weather. After that you pop in the lastest action RPG and take out a few monsters using your awesome gun that you just aquired. Before you know it tho its time for you to go, so you pull out your DS and connect the two together. After a few seconds you have your character from the game on your DS screen. Closing the lid your on your way. You finally get a few minutes to your self so you start leveling up your character on the DS using similar techs with the Stylus as you do with the Wiimote. You gain a new level and with the increased power you also get an even more bad ass gun.

After your day is over and a little more dungeon crawling with the awesome new gun you go back home and upload your character and the awesome new weapon to your Wii. Then take it online to show off to all your friends.

I feel like cartman. Im gonna freeze myself so the 2 week wait seems shorter.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 03:31 PM       
its like 30 days until it comes to europe

guess it better than waitng months, or even years for consoles to come from US/Japan in the past

Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 05:47 PM       
this article was on my browser...it's very well written.

Nintendo Wii Versus PlayStation 3

Mon Nov 6, 2006 6:30PM EST

See Comments (4)

I had the good fortune on Friday to get some back-to-back hands-on with two next-gen consoles that are about to launch this month: the Nintendo Wii (November 19) and the Sony PlayStation 3 (November 17). This was in addition to some hands-on I got a couple of months ago. This holiday, the big question for gamers (or people who need to write out a list for Santa) is: Which console should I get? Here's a rundown of the main features of each.

Price: Sony PlayStation 3 will cost $499 for the base model (20GB hard drive) and $599 for the premium model (60GB hard drive, Memory Stick slot). The Nintendo Wii will cost $249.

Specs: Sony has made a big deal out of the PS3's ultra-powerful, computer-in-a-console Cell processor chip, an upgradeable 20- or 60-gigabyte hard disk drive, 1080p resolution, networking capability, and HDMI outputs, while Nintendo's Wii simply has PowerPC CPU, 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, a couple of USB 2.0 ports, an SD memory card slot, and Wi-Fi capability. But as John Gapper points out in his Financial Times column today, most gamers don't care about the innards, they just care about the games!

Launch lineup: Nintendo has promised 62 titles before year's end, even though about 30 of those are classic games from previous platforms available for download on the Virtual Console. Regardless, it's still a hefty launch lineup (compare that to Xbox 360's 18 titles last year). Meanwhile, Sony has promised 21 titles for the launch. Sorry, but new or old, Nintendo's got game in the launch titles department.

Games: Sony has the much-awaited Resistance: Fall of Man, a creepy FPS set in an alternate-history 1940s, but the platform really shines with full-1080p versions of NBA 07 (which is almost scary-realistic) and Marvel Ultimate Alliance (unparalleled detail and clarity on the PS3 version). Sony has a lot of the other big titles, too, including Call of Duty 3 (essentially the same as the Xbox 360 version, with some wireless controller elements added), Tony Hawk Project 8 (wireless controller elements), and Need for Speed: Carbon, among others.

Meanwhile, a game that garnered a lot of applause at E3, the explosa-palooza Motor Storm, looks stunning but still needs a lot of work in the handling department, and where-oh-where is Gran Turismo HD? Nintendo on the other hand has title-after-title of first-party strengths, from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy to Excite Truck and WarioWare: Smooth Moves (not to mention the phenomenally easy to pick-up-and-play Wii Sports included with the console). And third-party-wise, Madden for Wii is a truly revolutionary addition to the gaming canon (not to mention some other cool third-party titles).

HD or not HD: This is my own personal obsession, since I am such a nut for the unrivaled big screen clarity of anything in 1080p resolution. Nintendo has opted for 480p, which is the same resolution you'll find on most current systems and on DVDs (perfectly impressive for the year 2000, but looking a little tired these days). So the Wii games don't look all that different from Gamecube games in terms of graphic clarity, detail, and realism, but since when has anyone needed realism in a Mario game, anyway?

Meanwhile, Sony is putting a lot of the PS3's claim to fame on the console's ability to show in full 1080p resolution. The 1080p games—Marvel Ultimate Alliance and NBA 07—I saw on Friday night blew me away visually. I was able to stand a mere eight inches away from the screen and still not see any graininess or pixels! But this is more of a gee-whiz kind of a thing for 1080p dorks such as myself. Most people either don't have 1080p or won't care. Besides, only two of Sony's launch titles are in 1080p: Big ones such as Resistance: Fall of Man and Call of Duty 3 are in 720p, just like the year-old Xbox 360!

Extras: The big differentiator between the PS3 (and, while we're at it, the Xbox 360) and the Wii is the former's inclusion of a Blu-ray disc player. This means that the PS3 can play high-def movies on the new Blu-ray disc format-in full 1080p resolution via an HDMI connection. 1080p is as stunning for movies as it is for games, but again you'll need a 1080p TV to partake. It also means that photos will look just as crisp and clear using the PS3 as movies do.

Nintendo, on the other hand, also has a picture viewer, but images on that console won't look as nice, for obvious reasons. Still, Nintendo's machine is at least $250 less than Sony's. And the last I heard, these were gaming consoles, right? It's slightly obnoxious of Sony to force perfectly innocent gamers to buy a machine with pricey, dicey movie technology built in (and don't forget that Sony is one of the companies behind Blu-ray). At least Nintendo sticks to the business at hand—gaming—and gives you the choice between buying your own player or nothing at all!

Controllers: Sony has experimented with motion-sensitivity ever since EyeToy, but Nintendo has taken the technology one step further by making it an integral part of its new console. The Wii Remote and Nunchuk combination is integral to every single Wii game. As a result, motion-sensitivity is used to great effect, whether to swat the tennis balls in Wii Sports or to catch fish in Zelda. And many games—Wii Sports, Red Steel, and others—were designed with the Wii controller in mind from the get-go.

Sony's SIXAXIS controller, on the other hand, is still a work in progress and feels like a gimmicky add-on to already existing titles such as Call of Duty 3 (where you use it to grapple) and Tony Hawk Project 8 (where you use it to flip your board). In other words, you don't need the SIXAXIS to play some of these games, so the gameplay isn't inherently conducive to a wireless, tilt controller. That said, Sony has some other games, such as Warhhawk (due out next summer) that are being created from the ground-up to take advantage of the SIXAXIS, so this imbalance between the competing consoles' controllers may change in the future.

Availability: Sony says it will have 400,000 units for sale in the U.S. at launch (with two million available globally by year's end), so good luck getting one. Meanwhile Nintendo hasn't released specific numbers for U.S. units at launch, but says it will have four million consoles available globally by year's end. If you want a new console this holiday and don't want to pull an all-nighter in line or pay through the nose, the choice is clearly in Nintendo's favor.

Conclusion: On many levels, it's almost apples and oranges when comparing these two consoles, since they're just not trying to do the same thing. Nintendo really wants the Wii to be all about gaming, whereas Sony seems to be making a big deal out of the PS3's superior technology and extra functionality. So for gamers, it might seem to be a no-brainer to just go for the Wii.

But let's not forget that Sony still has about 70 percent of the market share for games. The company has managed to milk every last bit out of the PS2, mainly because there was so much in that once state-of-the-art device to milk. If some truly amazing games come out in the next few months, along with more hardware at lower prices, Sony could bounce back. And early reports from consumers who have had a chance to play PS3 games are positive. But if it's fun games and a new console you want this holiday season, go with the Wii, or, as I've said many times before, the Xbox 360 (which gives you the best of both worlds—new games and HD resolution!)

Anybody have their heart set on a Wii or a Playstation 3? If you like the PlayStation 3, why? If you like Wii, why? And who would rather just skip this year's face-off and go for an Xbox 360?
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 06:34 PM       
the PS3 looks like a really well made console, silent running and those groovy buttons, its a machine that will really be good once the next wave of games come out for it, as in my view there isnt many great games coming out for a bit (except MGS4 and resistance which looks cool)

the wii has a lot more games that i would love to play in the launch window.

its definitly a console i would like to get in a few years, as long as there are a load of decent games by that stage, but for now, its the Wii/360 for me

anyway, whats everyone planning to get at launch? for me its Wii sports, rayman and zelda, and maybe Wii play as i plan to get a second remote anyway

I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 07:34 PM       
As promising as the PS3 looks, it just doesn't compare to the Wii for myself. The fact that I can be playing NES, SNES etc again (legally) is something in itself.
And let's not forget Metal Slug.

I'll most likely just be picking up Zelda, I hope it meets its tremendous expectations.

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD
zoom
eggyolk is probably a spambot
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 08:23 PM       
the ONLY reason i could find for buying myself a wii would be to play the new zelda game. fortunatly, it's coming out on gamecube minus the gimicky controller.

im sorry, i just cant find the fun in waving your arms around like a jackass to play a game. a controller should be a hand-held device with buttons. you don't see pc gamers waving their keyboards around.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 09:12 PM       
I could not for the life of me see how I could play the new Zelda on the Wii. It would feel too wierd for me to use two unattached sets of buttons to move around.

I might just pick up a Gamecube now that the Wii is coming out.

But I will have all consoles at one point or another. I have my heart set on the X-Box 360 first, though, as it was released first. Then I'll be getting the Wii as it will be cheaper than the PS3. But, the PS3 is sexy and powerful and MGS4 is coming out and connectivity with the PSP makes it a buy for me. Overall, I'm sure we'll look back on this new generation of consoles like they were tinker toys or something. Technology keeps getting better and at a faster and faster rate.

I know one thing that's make the Wii an instant success:

VIRTUAL REALITY HELMETS.
Keg Whore
EisigerBiskuit is probably a spambot
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 09:29 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyolk
the ONLY reason i could find for buying myself a wii would be to play the new zelda game. fortunatly, it's coming out on gamecube minus the gimicky controller. ;)

im sorry, i just cant find the fun in waving your arms around like a jackass to play a game. a controller should be a hand-held device with buttons. you don't see pc gamers waving their keyboards around.
http://louhi.kempele.fi/~skyostil/uv/fretsonfire/
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 09:42 PM       
http://www.i-mockery.net/viewtopic.php?t=23060

Shifty is probably a spambot
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:00 AM       
I want one, i hope i get one launch day i want to secks it....

Cliff burton Gotta love the best metal bassist to get crushed by a bus.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 09:17 AM       
No secksing until you can learn to stop getting things pregnant

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 10:22 AM       
I love how the feuds here never, ever die. It's awesome.
I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:46 PM       
I thought it was common knowledge that it only requires a flick of the wrist to play the Wii games. Not a full blown wind up.

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD
zoom
eggyolk is probably a spambot
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 01:59 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by EisigerBiskuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyolk
the ONLY reason i could find for buying myself a wii would be to play the new zelda game. fortunatly, it's coming out on gamecube minus the gimicky controller.

http://louhi.kempele.fi/~skyostil/uv/fretsonfire/
yes and?
Grislygus' best friend
Azrael is probably a spambot
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 02:42 PM       
They had me sold at $250. I just can't justify paying $400+ for a damn video game system.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 02:48 PM       
i can't see myself buying one, but if somehow my opinion changed i would for sure never ever refer to it as a "wii", and would in fact have labels put over every occurence of that word that said "Revolution"
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 09:26 PM       
Gee I can't wait to buy a system where I have to practically jack-off to move Mario around the screen.

They're certainly not winning me over with this motion-sensitivity controller thing.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:35 AM       
First I hated it, then I kinda liked it (because it heard good things about mario), now I just don't know. I don't think the controller is that gimicky (but I had a killer joke about it catering to the handheld fishing game crowd) and I think it might be fun in some aspects. I don't care enough to get it at launch (the new zelda looks pretty fucking ugly).

I might just get a DS, because it has mario kart and I like mario kart.

SIGH.

Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:47 AM       
Well it's a given that I'll be getting one but for me it's just a question of trying to get one at launch or wait a bit. At this point I don't think I really care about getting it on day 1. So many cool games came out recently that I'm pretty satisfied for the moment.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
Location: In that place where i didnt know where we were before
Comrade Rocket is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 02:29 PM       
over the next 2 weeks, 85 games are being realised between, Wii, ps3, new xbox and 360 games, DS and GBA. Its gonna be fun, but really stressful.

If you get a chance, crack open this months game pro and check out the laughly biased article where they compare the three systems together. Like in memory, PS3 has the least amount of flash memory, but for some reason it got the highest score between the three. And the overall scores between the PS3 and the 360 and the same, but 360 came in as the runner-up. Also go a few more pages and check out the incredibly bland Wii release article, the go a few more pages and check out the awesome PS3 lauch article.

i found out gamepro got bought up by some PS magazine like a few years ago.

Edit: i just pulled it out and started reading again. The compairsion artical busts on 360's overheating problem, but says nothing about the PS3 worse one. ;_;
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 12:41 AM       
http://pspupdates.qj.net/Playstation...g/49/aid/72450

The PS3 may have moved up a few notches in my book as it now supports homebrew. Maybe the Wii will have to wait a bit longer.
Mocker
zeldasbiggestfan suckszeldasbiggestfan sucks
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 02:18 AM       
Ive seen commericals for it. I dont think they can bail out now.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 03:42 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim
Gee I can't wait to buy a system where I have to practically jack-off to move Mario around the screen.

They're certainly not winning me over with this motion-sensitivity controller thing.
Yeah, same thing for me and it's a shame because I think it's the only thing really preventing me from wanting one. I'd much rather sit back with a controller in my hands and not be moving around to get my character to swing a sword, or whatever the fuck they plan to do with it.

Ah well. I'm very happy with my 360 so I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

That was very funny. Well done.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 04:29 AM       
I'm jacking off thinking about this sysetem. And when you see how they use the controller movement in the games you'll be all "holy shit this is great"
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 05:31 AM       
Good News! I got a DS and now I don't give a shit about this system! Goodbye Nintendo Wii!