Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 09:13 PM        Clooney invites O'Reilly to the screening of his movie
I'm not really interested in starting any real discussion here, but I thought this was amusing. I'm looking forward to seeing this, and plan on going as soon as the movie finds its way around here.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/goss...p-298763c.html

A 'Good Night' for Clooney & O'Reilly to bond

George Clooney and Bill O'Reilly remain the best of enemies.
Media-dog watchers worried that the long-running feud between the actor and the Fox News scourge had cooled last week when O'Reilly was invited to a VIP screening of "Good Night and Good Luck," Clooney's movie about the 1953-54 clash between CBS eminence Edward R. Murrow and Communist-hunting Sen. Joseph McCarthy.

The two combatants were seen chatting pleasantly at the event, which drew the likes of Walter Cronkite, Tom Brokaw, Dan Rather, Brian Williams, Morley Safer, Harry K. Smith and Andy Rooney.

"O'Reilly actually said some nice things about the movie," Clooney told us Friday at the opening night of the New York Film Festival.

This comes as high praise indeed, considering that the movie's archival footage of McCarthy reminds some people of the "No Spin" pundit. The U.K.'s Guardian newspaper wrote, "You don't have to squint too hard to recognize O'Reilly — who makes it his business to shout down and then de-mike his guests on the air — in the hectoring robot-voiced McCarthy."

Clooney thinks O'Reilly is untroubled by comparisons with McCarthy because "he sees himself as "Murrow, like a lot of broadcasters."

And, in fact, Clooney thinks it unfair to compare O'Reilly and McCarthy.

"Unlike McCarthy," a broadly grinning Clooney told us, "O'Reilly was never elected to public office. What's more, Joe McCarthy was never accused of telling one of his female staff members she should use a vibrator" — one of the sex-harassment claims former Fox News associate producer Andrea Mackris made against O'Reilly, who denied her allegations. A Fox News spokeswoman said that O'Reilly would have no comment on Clooney's latest tweak. But we feel one of his "Back of the Book" commentaries coming on.