Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:25 AM        Will Tom Delay be Indicted today?
The Texas Grand Jury is wrapping up today. If they are going to charge Delay, today is the day. Anyone care to place a bet?
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 11:12 AM       
My guess is no....
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 11:20 AM       
I know it's the safe answer, but I really don't know.

I do know that anybody thinking about running against him next time for TX-22 should pay close attention to this. If this grand jury lets him off for all of this, then the Dem.s should just give up on getting him out of Congress, IMO.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 01:32 PM       
wow....they actually did it!
Mocker
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 01:43 PM       
He's toast!
Stone Pants Rabbit
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 02:00 PM       

is this the face of a criminal? I mean, really.......
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 02:00 PM       
Good Grief! Between this and Bill Orielly publicly dissing W, one would almost believe the Republican chickens were finally coming home to roost!
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 02:03 PM       
I hear the sound of hooves. Sounds like four horses.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 02:05 PM       
Whose next? Frist, maybe? *crossing fingers*
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:17 PM       
Jeez, guys... Way to get all worked up over nothing.

When this is all said and done, Delay will walk back into his leadership post smelling like a fresh, summer breeze and the net effect will be to have polls showing more voters believing Republicans are decent, honest citizen statesmen and Dems are whiney children still pissed about election 2000.

For God's sake, if you're gonna indict someone, PLEASE have a case against them. For a guy like Delay I'm thinking that just couldn't be that tall of an order...

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:21 PM       
Partisan senses tingling, partisan senses tingling!!!

Jeez guy, if you're going to jump on us for being biased, you should not be biased!

I think the grand jury decided that there most certainly is a case there, hence them making, well, a case.

i think it's very likely that the folks in his district in particular will rally around him and love him even more. That doesn't make him innocent.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:24 PM       
http://news.findlaw.com/wp/docs/delay/delay92805ind.pdf

Read the indictment and then you tell me how scared Delay must be at the moment.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:15 PM       
I'm not partisan biased... I find this very exciting! And fun! Now if we can go after Pelosi and Feinstien I'd burst from happiness.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 07:35 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preechr

Read the indictment and then you tell me how scared Delay must be at the moment.
It's not a matter of how scared the man is, it's how this looks to the voters in his state. He's attempting to portray the DA in the case as a Democratic nut case, when in fact the man has prosecuted three times as many Democrats as Republicans. I think even more will come out of this, especially now that it's come out that Roy Blunt (Who assumed Delay's position ) and his PAC have given more than $88,000.00 to Jim Ellis, who is also under indictment with Delay.
Mocker
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 09:14 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preechr

I don't know that I care about how scared The Hammer is. He's an arrogant and pompous man. But the accusation is that TRMPAC had corporate money filtered through the party apapratus, back down to their candidates, and that DeLay knew this. This is a serious offense in Texas, whether he's convicted or not, because it shows an utter disregard for Texas code and conduct in politics, even the "peculiar" ones (as it was referred to as last night by DeLay's lawyer).
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 10:07 AM       
Preech, with all due respect, the prosecution has presented the indictment, not the case. However it ends up playing out (and I personally think they wouldn't have made the indictment if they didn't think they had a shot at nailing him) Delay is going to busy defending himself in all probability right through the midterms. That is a loooooong time to have to concentrate your political wiles on not going to jail.

There may well be a second act for Tom Delay. But the parade might march right past him too. A Republican controlled ethics committee has had to rebuke him multipe times. He is a dog turd and the best defense he'll be able to mount is "Okay, It's true, I'm a dog turd, but the almost certainly illegal things I've done can't be proven in a court of law."

Like Ginrich before him, he's a big enough Asshole that just the steady light a trial will throw on him will make him too unapealing to retain leadrship.

That's what I think, anyway.
Mocker
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 10:31 AM       
"A Republican controlled ethics committee has had to rebuke him multipe times. He is a dog turd and the best defense he'll be able to mount is "Okay, It's true, I'm a dog turd, but the almost certainly illegal things I've done can't be proven in a court of law.""

And these things don't come as a surprise to Republicans, especially in Texas. He is an excellent fundraiser, which is why he's the most popular guy in the room. But secretly, most people hold a grudge against that guy, too.

Even as a bug zapper, he got into troubles with the IRS for funky dealings. One Texas GOP quote I saw on the guy was "I would still vote for him, I just wouldn't lend him my money."

This guy is a maverick in the truest sense of the word. He has a pattern of showing little regard for what he considers to be annoying, perfunctory stuff that gets in the way of business.