Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 08:56 AM        no uglies at abercrombie either
relates to this thread
http://www.i-mockery.net/viewtopic.php?t=8090 I
...because I thought, if that's the case then retailers shouuld also be allowed to only hire attractive people as well then. And look here it is

------------

CBS) Two ex-managers for a clothing chain accused of discrimination say corporate representatives of the chain, Abercrombie & Fitch, routinely had them reduce the hours of less attractive salespeople.

The two former managers - who say they were hired for their good looks - appear in a Morley Safer report on the trendy retail chain on 60 Minutes, Sunday at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Dan Moon and Andrea Mandrick say Abercrombie & Fitch were after a certain "look" for their sales force, and the less a salesperson had of this look, the less they worked.

"I was sick of getting my schedule back every week with lines through names," says Mandrick. "I can't look the people that work for me, that want to be there, in the eye and...lie to them and say 'Oh, we don't have hours,' when, really, it's because they weren't pretty enough."

Moon, a former model, had a similar experience and says his look is what got him a job. "I think it was 90 percent of it and your interaction with other people was 10 percent," he says.

Black conservative radio host and lawyer Larry Elder, who has talked extensively about the accusations on his program, defends the company. "There is a no-fly zone over certain people and certain industries that discriminate all the time," says Elder.

He likens unattractive people's failure to be hired by Abercrombie & Fitch to white people failing to be hired for on-air work by Black Entertainment Television.

"This is about a business deciding, pursuant to its own best interests, rightly or wrongly, that a particular type of salesperson is more likely to generate more dollars," Elder tells Safer.

A group of minorities suing Abercrombie & Fitch doesn't think the retailer has the right to hire based on a look, a look they say too often is mostly white. "[The look] is dominated by Caucasian, football-looking, blond hair, blue-eyed males. Skinny, tall. You don't see any African American, Asian Americans," says Jennifer Lu, an Asian who says she is suing the retailer for firing her and other Asians because management preferred white males.
Abercrombie & Fitch denies these accusations, but would not speak on camera to 60 Minutes. But the two former managers say what they saw was "lookism" rather than racism.

Mandrick and Moon say applications from minorities were handled the same as a white person's. "File it away in the 'yes' pile...to call them back or the 'no pile,'" says Mandrick. The no pile, she says, was for applications of people whose looks she knew wouldn't pass muster.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 09:07 AM        Re: no uglies at abercrombie either
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doopa
He likens unattractive people's failure to be hired by Abercrombie & Fitch to white people failing to be hired for on-air work by Black Entertainment Television.
But I'm betting he thinks that CMT is racist for not hiring black people for on-air time.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 01:00 PM       
A&F is a clothing retailer. Appearances are a huge part of their bussiness. They want beautiful people in A&F clothes to sell to customers. Its almost the same as the models in their catalogs.

Its not like there is some law stating that ugly people can't work in clothing retail. This particular store chooses to put the most attractive people in front of the customer. If you don't like it, don't buy their overpriced crap.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 02:15 PM       
AF, which used to be a top notch, though pricey outdoor outfitter (It was once the shop of choice to outfit your entire African Safari) now sell an idea. Teenagers fucking.

It's very, very sad, since it isn't like you catually buy teenagers fucking or get to fuck teenagers. It's just an idea. Wearing their clothes is the same as screaming "I'm a Moronic, zombified elitist asshole and I need think about teenagers fucking" over and over wherever you go.

While I'm not sure what legal measures would be even remotely appropriatte, holding them (and anyone you ever see wearing their products) and getting the word out about their hiring practices is totally appropriatte.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 02:54 PM       
I agree with Max. Yes, sex sells. When I open up a Victoria's Secret Catalog, I see sex. But the sexy women enhance the clothes.

However, when I open up an A&F Catalog, sex is used for no apparent reason whatsoever. I don't even see the clothes half the time. Just naked people walking around on elephants and giraffes. It should be the sex selling clothes, not the clothes selling sex.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 03:54 PM       
I wish A&F would have sold me some teenage fucking a few years ago.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 04:15 PM       
It's not too late, AChimp! Penthouse or Hustler (I don't remember which) has a spinoff magazine called Barely Legal.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 04:24 PM       
Another ray of hope Chimp: I saw a news magazine special about the growing number of college-age girls that have taken up prostitution with the malls as their setting. You can fetch yourself an anorak and get the seks all in one trip.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 06:03 PM       
Oh, I would so go to the mall for magazines and prostitutes, but as luck would have it, the family moose just ran away so I have no way to get there.
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 06:14 PM       
It's just so awful that AF, a company with such a distinctive, lengthy history is now kids in their underpants. It's as if Brooks Brothers started selling hand jobs.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 06:58 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellychaos
Another ray of hope Chimp: I saw a news magazine special about the growing number of college-age girls that have taken up prostitution with the malls as their setting.
So, I can tell the cops I'm trying to get those girls through med school? Sweet.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 07:43 PM       
I've never even been in an abercrombie
Ooner is probably a spambot
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 12:00 AM        Re: no uglies at abercrombie either
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doopa
But I'm betting he thinks that CMT is racist for not hiring black people for on-air time.
Wrong. Elder is a pretty extreme libertarian and generally advocates that companies should be able to do ANYTHING they want to. He might call it racist, and he might even consider what BET does racist, but there's no way he would be opposed to the decision.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 12:30 AM       
I support discrimination of the economically unviable
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 08:48 AM       
It's the only real form of social Darwinism.
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 11:32 AM       
Listen, Chess club Fencer, I think the last thing you should want is ANY form of Darwinism.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 11:40 AM       
No, he means dynamic social darwinism, ie 'laissaiz-faire'.
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 01:26 PM       
Or as I like to call it, Wiener Darwinism.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 02:19 PM       
Free-market Darwinism. It wouldn't be that bad for me.

Actually, I have a particular hatred of anarcho-capitalism and Objectivism, despite how much I have in common with both. Anarcho-capitalism because I can't conceive why so many intellectuals don't realize the problems with the system. Objectivism because it supports capitalism for the entirely wrong reasons.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 09:30 AM       
Really? That's Fascinating. If you could bottle that as a cologne, there's no telling how far you might go.

GothNAPrepsBody is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 09:53 AM       
For once I think we can get along I hate A&F but what the fuck if I wanted to work there!? I should be able to plot their demise from the inside
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 10:00 AM       
Who rattled your cage?

budgetjiggalo is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 11:45 AM       
The only time I went into an AF I got thrown out for opening a catalog.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 12:02 PM       
Yeah, they really don't lie it when you masturbate in the store. That's why they have changing rooms.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 04:24 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
It's just so awful that AF, a company with such a distinctive, lengthy history is now kids in their underpants. It's as if Brooks Brothers started selling hand jobs.
Would it be any different if they had started out as a company with kids in their underpants? Truly, I can see if this was a government agency of some sort and they discriminated against races or those less easy on the eyes but this is a private business. If they wish to appeal to a certain crowd and think that using models and/or sales reps of a certain type accomplish this, then they have every right to do so. If consumers find these type of business practices offensive, then the company will eventually die a slow, painful death. There are companies, such as BUFU, that were founded on the idea that they would hire african american staff and that feature clothes that are largely manufactured to appeal to the urban and/or african american culture and nobody is saying word one about that business. What's good for the goose is good for the gander and I find all this hypocrisy disgusting. Rant over.

Wherever you go, there you are.