Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 06:05 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellychaos
Anyone ever read the (greek) mythological creation stories. Lots of similarities there too ... evil comes from the earth ... good guys in the heavens ... well, higher up on Mt Olympus anyway ... Coincidence?
Well, that's in virtually all forms of faith and mythology. The sky couldn't be reached by man, the sun was worshipped, the moon and stars... That easily turns into a form of heaven. The earth is dirty, dark at night, in some parts of the world scathing hot red stuff comes out of it... nothing pleasant could come out of THAT.
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 07:09 AM       
Unless you're an archaeologist, 2,000 years or so later
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 02:39 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS
Well, that's in virtually all forms of faith and mythology. The sky couldn't be reached by man, the sun was worshipped, the moon and stars... That easily turns into a form of heaven. The earth is dirty, dark at night, in some parts of the world scathing hot red stuff comes out of it... nothing pleasant could come out of THAT.
Interesting also that the need to study the heavens (i.e. astronomy) to better understand their gods resulted in the advancement of some fairly profound and amazingly accurate (considering the time period) mathematical theory and axioms. This seems to span across several cultures. Reference the earth consisting of dark, dirty things: Is it a coincidence that evil is personified as a "snake" in the "Garden of Eden"?

Wherever you go, there you are.