Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 06:57 PM        Challenge
Just wanted to see if you political types could go one week without regurgitating news reports.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 06:59 PM       
EDIT: My initial response was mean, so I'm taking it back.

We post articles to strike up debate and conversation. If you don't like it, you can always leave, or, *gasp* not read them!
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:09 PM       
Posting a question that you in your own words is more valuable than filling in the blanks of a news report.
Mocker
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:22 PM       
Look at the title of this forum.

Besides, a lot of the questions posed here tend to be too absorbed in the "poster's" own views. "Why is America an Imperialist warmonger," or "why do Liberals lie all the time?"

The premise of such questions is, well, questionable. To even answer them appropriately would be a challenge.

Posting an article or editorial allows us to respond and debate off of the points made by another. This seems to make ense to me, especially considering that sometimes, the people we use are fairly knowledgable on the issue.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:22 PM       
Well Fartin, the problem with that statement is that you're retarded.

Not everything we say (the intelligent ones of us, at least), is just a copy and paste job of an article. Sometimes, we do bring up some questions of opinions without the use of such.

But many a time, it's a necessity. If you're going to make a claim like, "Our soldiers are acting like Nazis over in Iraq," you're going to need some evidence to back it up. You're claiming a fact, and you need proof it's a fact, and you're not pulling your opinion out of your ass, and claiming it as true.

Another reason for citing articles - which ties into the above - is because it beats the hell out of plagiarism or rewriting a 2-page article. It's there. It's well-written. It makes more sense than you would. Use it. Besides, citing a specific source gives more credibility.

Furthermore, you're an idiot. Please go away now.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:24 PM       
To you maybe. Take your challenge and twirl on it chubs, I post what I find interesting in the news to share the wealth of information with others. Information, after all, wants to be free. By spreading it around, we can correct erronious views and spark a little debate over the topics at hand and the implications thereof. I realize your attention span is limited, but just because you can't shift through a few paragraphs doesn't mean everyone is incapable or equally disinterested.

You want more opinion? These articles are the foundation upon which many of us make our opinions. I'd rather have some facts to refer to if I am going to allow myself to be swayed by someone elses arguments, otherwise I might as well choose my beliefs arbitrarily through a Mad Libs association of words:

"The USA (shits) in Afghanistan, because of this, (shriners) retaliated with (pep rallies) at the UN. As a response to public outcry, (cheese) will no longer be dropped by (whores) in the region."

Thats my current stand. Care to discuss if Martin?
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:33 PM       
hey guys, go easy on fartin. anything more complex than the daily show or lacking any doo-doo jokes is a bit above his level.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:08 PM       
What is a reliable source?
Mocker
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:19 PM       
That's irrelevant, if something we post isn't a "reliable" source, then someone is always here to tell us that. Thus the debate begins....
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 10:54 AM       
There is an unconfirmed report that Fartin Mowler has conceded defeat and was wounded.
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 01:49 PM       
I'm gonna be nice about this:

The reason the news reports are "regurgitated" is because short of being in Iraq themselves to learn firsthand and before everyone else, there is no other option, is there?

Plus, it was never about REPORTING news, it was applying one's own take to it, and debating it.

You want reports, watch CNN. I normally don't put in in the Political forums because I admit I don't know as much about it as Kevin or Max or them, but I could at least grasp THAT much, and even without putting in, I still LEARN something from reading their posts.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 07:30 PM       
I would be the first person to tell you that I think that Max and Kevin and other people are very intelligent. Reports are fine in moderation but exclude people that rightfully wouldn't wade through them and try to decipher them and there comments. I guess you could call this a little self deprication to the fact that I too also want to learn but can't get over the gate.