Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:52 AM        Ike's Chicago Trip
For which I forgot to take pictures. I'll just describe some of the shit I saw.

This past friday my girlfriend and I went on a field trip to the Chicago Art Institute and the Oriental Institute over by the UoC. I'll spare you the details except to say that the Art Institute was very disappointing to me but forgive me if I don't understand why a pile of Werther's Originals candies dumped into a corner is art, ok (and yes, I did see that there -- there were guards on duty to make sure nobody took them)

Among the things I saw:

1. A billboard advertising "Reassurance Calling Agencies" or something of that nature. What I gathered from the billboard is that you pay this company to call your elderly relatives and talk to them for a little while so you don't have to. What the fuck kind of country are we living in when we have this kind of service available.

2. The Roving Angel. This was without a doubt the best thing I saw all day. In front of the Art Institute was a man dressed in an angel costume. He was completely bald and had white face-paint and large feathered wings -- and rollerskates. He would stand very still with his hands up like a statue, and wait for people to walk by. Whenever a woman walked by, he would skate after them, get up behind them, and put his face about an inch away from theirs and smile in the creepiest manner I've ever seen. The reactions were priceless. One girl shrieked and practically tackled her boyfriend.

3. The Taste of Chicago or whatever was taking place that day, so I saw probably a dozen or so different street performers, counting the Roving Angel. Notably in front of the Art Institute there was a group of kids playing drum solos on buckets and those plastic boxes they deliver milk in. One of them started drumming on a passing cab as it stopped to pick someone up. WTF Basically they would have been like a mix between Stomp and the Blue Man Group except they were black, am I right
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:58 AM       
i like your name.
Level 29 ♂
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:59 AM       
Thanks, I do too
Title
Jeff The Ninja is probably a spambot
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 05:17 PM       

Founder of the E.P.O.A.E.P.I.C.A.P.H.W.H. Looking for Recruits

XBL Gamertag: KING HATESTAR
MAMA MIA!
Terra is probably a spambot
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 06:18 PM       
My uncle's name is Ike.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:13 PM       
Ike, those candies were NOT Werther's Originals, at least I don't think there were ANY name-branded candies. I think they were all meant to be as simple as possible as part of the MESSAGE. And the thing is that you ARE supposed to take ONE piece of candy per PERSON, there are guards in just about every room. That's all part of the MESSAGE. The artist who put them there DIED, you ASSHOLE, and he wanted his legacy to be free candy to anyone who visits his little room.

As for the Oriental Institute, I had to walk around it basically on a weekly basis to get from campus to my dorm, but I never went inside! I was a TERRIBLE UofC student.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Level 29 ♂
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:29 PM       
I actually didn't go in the OI this time, though I've been there before. It's less impressive than people make it out to be and it smells like my grandmother's house.
Level 29 ♂
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:34 PM       
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I ended up seeing the Roving Angel again a few hours later, only he was out of costume. Most of his white makeup was gone by this point, and he wasn't wearing his robes or his skates -- he was wearing a stained wifebeater and some ash-colored trousers, and he had really hairy shoulders. It kind of destroyed the illusion.