Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
ThrashO ThrashO is offline
Prepare for time warp.
ThrashO's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 05:43 AM        Favorite game of 2011?
I'll start off by saying that I didn't play Skyrim. Mainly because I want Fallout 4 to feel fresh. I loved Fallout 3 but at times it felt like I was playing an Oblivion expansion pack.

Mine was definitely Dead Space 2.

It was gorgeous, scary as hell, brutally gory and had some truly breath taking and memorable moments.

The first game was amazing and I feel like I didn't hear much of it. I played through it probably 5 times and even on the hardest difficulty. After I finished it I didn't really think much of it as a series or a franchise and then when I heard about the sequel I was instantly pumped. There was even a contest to design a necromorph kill which was put up by Visceral Games through Facebook. I entered with a short story (there was no restriction on medium used) but I didn't make it

It was a cool story though.

Dead Space 2 lived up to the hype and blew my balls out of my asshole. Every second of the game has you on the edge of your seat. There are a ton of unlockables as well including hardcore mode (this game is already hard as shit) which makes ammo VERY limited (causing you to rely heavily on using telekinesis to skewer and kill enemies with random items laying around (not that easy mind you)) AND you only get 3 FUCKING SAVES

Haven't played it through hardcore mode yet but it's something I always talk about finishing. Also, word has it that Dead Space 3 is going to take place on an ice planet, and instead of darkness everywhere it's said that blinding light is going to be the antagonist. I'm skeptical but Visceral Games did everything right with Dead Space 2 so I am fully putting my faith in them.

More great moments (Mega Spoiler)
Spoilers!


Runners up:

Little Big Planet 2. I love the first LBP and have made some insane stuff. I really didn't pick this game as my favorite because when I get in create mode, I can't stop myself. I feel like it's what WoW players go through. I build and build and create until the sun comes back up. I honestly have this game in storage because I will stay in my room and play it all night. If anyone wants to see some of the stuff I've made (which you probably don't) search for Thrashed By Plasma. My PSN is ThrashOmen.

Gears of War 3. Waited for this game ever since the end of Gears 2. Pre-ordered 2 years in advance, was devastated about multiple push backs and was a boss in the beta. When it was released (along with my load) it was awesome and made up for GoW 2's weak ass ending. Plus, Horde mode has eaten away at many hours/days of me and my room mate's time, plus standard multiplayer is phenominal. As much love and history I have for this series, Dead Space 2 just felt like something so new, exciting and bad ass that I had to give it top spot.

Vanquish. Beautiful shooter with a retro-y/arcade shooter kind of feel to it. It makes me think of a shitty japanese b-movie but with a serious budget and production value. I didn't beat it but I loved what I played of it. I haven't been able to find it anywhere (I only buy used games) but when I do I'm definetely going to pick it up and finish it.

I'm sure alot of people are going to post Skyrim, which is cool because from what I've seen it looks epic. Plus Bethesda is probably going to back it up with insane DLC like they did Fallout 3 which is going to make the game twice as absurd. My room mate said that the game glitched and he clipped through a boundary and he discovered that the lands from Oblivion and Morrowind are low-res modeled but FULLY in the game. He thinks it's for some sort of DLC which will link the last 3 games together, I think it's probably just background eye candy for some quest he hasn't done yet.

What was your favorite game of 2011?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Fathom Zero Fathom Zero is offline
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: cancer
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 12:39 PM       
Dark Souls
Skyrim
Bulletstorm

Nothing more to say.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixby Phillips View Post
Oh god fathom zero, you are revealing yourself to be completely awful
Reply With Quote
  #3  
King Hadas King Hadas is offline
God Emperor of Brigadoon
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Washington
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 02:29 PM       
Most of the games I play are old as piss because I also only buy used. I've only played four games that were released this year:

Dead Space 2
Vanquish
Portal 2
L.A. Noire

I loved Dead Space 2.

Vanquish was alright. To be honest I don't like cover shooters so I only rented Vanquish because it was directed by Shinji Mikami.

Portal 2 was great.

LA Noire was okay.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
10,000 Volt Ghost 10,000 Volt Ghost is offline
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 02:57 PM       
Battlefield 3
__________________
God speed you meddling kids.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Fathom Zero Fathom Zero is offline
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: cancer
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 03:12 PM       
I'd also really like to mention Payday: The Heist, because it was fantastic and no one played it but me and twenty other dudes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixby Phillips View Post
Oh god fathom zero, you are revealing yourself to be completely awful
Reply With Quote
  #6  
ThrashO ThrashO is offline
Prepare for time warp.
ThrashO's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 05:05 PM       
Portal 2 was the jump off, kid.

I'd actually put that as a runner up, maybe right under Dead Space 2. I hated the multiplayer in the game but ONLY because I tried playing it with 2 different people who had already beaten it with someone else, and instead of having a chance to figure out the puzzles they would either just do them because they already knew how they worked or would get overly frustrated when I couldn't figure it out

Also, Dead Space 2's multiplayer was ok, but forgettable. I kind of forgot that it even had multiplayer.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
King Hadas King Hadas is offline
God Emperor of Brigadoon
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Washington
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 06:12 PM       
When I saw this thread I really wanted to say Red Dead Redemption, but that was released last year. RDR is the only game where the outside environments stunned me, and more then once. This leads me to a problem I had with Vanquish's environments. Everything looks good technically but it's all kind of sterile, nothing really to sink your teeth into.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
zerothree zerothree is offline
Member
zerothree's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Under a rock... in NJ
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 10:33 PM       
Dark Souls. The end.

Honorable mentions:

Shadows of the Damned - Although a bit too short, I enjoyed the game from beginning to end. It really felt like a sum of it's parts, the obvious Rez Evil (4 and up) gun play (with movement!) mixed with a little bit of a Killer 7 vibe was very enjoyable.

Sonic Generations - Sega finally heard what fans have been asking for, for over a decade. Very pretty, very fast gameplay and a nice helping of nostalgia. Also, bonus for making the modern Sonic stages actually fun and not frustrating, glitchy nightmares.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection - This kind of doesn't count, but I'm gonna add it anyway. Seriously, three Metal Gear games (technically 6) on one disc? Fuck and yes.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
ThrashO ThrashO is offline
Prepare for time warp.
ThrashO's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 10:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerothree View Post
Dark Souls. The end.

Honorable mentions:

Shadows of the Damned - Although a bit too short, I enjoyed the game from beginning to end. It really felt like a sum of it's parts, the obvious Rez Evil (4 and up) gun play (with movement!) mixed with a little bit of a Killer 7 vibe was very enjoyable.

Sonic Generations - Sega finally heard what fans have been asking for, for over a decade. Very pretty, very fast gameplay and a nice helping of nostalgia. Also, bonus for making the modern Sonic stages actually fun and not frustrating, glitchy nightmares.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection - This kind of doesn't count, but I'm gonna add it anyway. Seriously, three Metal Gear games (technically 6) on one disc? Fuck and yes.
When you say 6 do you mean it includes VR mission, Substance and Subsistence? Because that's fucking killer
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Dimnos Dimnos is offline
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baseball Town, TX
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 12:20 PM       
Dark Souls! Because no other game will make you yell YES! like you did when you were 10.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim View Post
Exactly. Life's too short to not be ejaculating as often as possible
Reply With Quote
  #11  
darkvare darkvare is offline
taco loving zombie
darkvare's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: zacatecas mexico bitches
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 10:26 PM       
do you have dark souls on ps3? cause if you do i just got me a copy
__________________

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Reply With Quote
  #12  
zerothree zerothree is offline
Member
zerothree's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Under a rock... in NJ
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 03:28 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashO View Post
When you say 6 do you mean it includes VR mission, Substance and Subsistence? Because that's fucking killer
When I say 6, I mean MGS2 Subsistence, MGS3 Subsistence with the MSX versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, and the MGS3 MG Online, and MGS Peace Walker... so yeah. 6 games.

Also, now that I thought more about it, I also really enjoyed Alice: Madness Returns this year.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Esuohlim Esuohlim is offline
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: TO-DO LIST: WATCH TWIN PEAKS. CALL MOM.
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 03:44 AM       
I played about three minutes of Pokemon Black, so I guess that one wins by default
__________________


YOU MUST SPREAD SOME REPUTATION AROUND BEFORE GIVING IT TO SAM AGAIN
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Mad Melvin Mad Melvin is offline
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: no comment
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 06:03 AM       
Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Skyrim.

Honorable mentions go to Saints Row 3 (not as good as the second one, but still pretty fun) and Duke Nukem Forever. Yes, I loved it. Fuck you.
__________________
LOGJAMMIN'
Reply With Quote
  #16  
ThrashO ThrashO is offline
Prepare for time warp.
ThrashO's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 03:06 PM       
I didn't get into Demon Souls that much, it felt too "WoW-y" to me, but Dark Souls looks really killer. Like The Dark Knight of Ghosts and Goblins.

I'm such a stickler for playing games in order though :[

Not so much for the story, I just like seeing the franchise evolve.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Chojin Chojin is offline
was never good
Chojin's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 1999
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 03:17 PM       
i feel like a fag for saying it, but skyrim's probably the most fun in gaming i've had this year. THERE GOES ALL MY HIPSTER CRED

then again i didn't get to play a lot of games i wanted to because i've been so strapped for time since september (when, by mutual implied agreement, the entire industry releases their games).

Reply With Quote
  #18  
dextire dextire is offline
Cranberry Everything
dextire's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 03:32 PM       
Skyrim
Dragon Age II
Portal 2
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Pentegarn Pentegarn is offline
Clap if you love Dynamo
Pentegarn's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In a dystopian future
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 01:16 AM       
I never played that viagra game the spambot mentioned.

Though if I did and I played it for more than 4 hours I would have to consult my physician
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Emu Emu is offline
Level 29 ♂
Emu's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Peoria, IL
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 05:41 PM       
Dark Souls. Even though I only played it this year.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Guitar Woman Guitar Woman is offline
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 05:50 PM       
Deus Ex Yellow Edition, Portal 2, Skyrim.

Those were the only 2011 games I played.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Emu Emu is offline
Level 29 ♂
Emu's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Peoria, IL
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 05:55 PM       
Oh, Catherine was really good too.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Shyandquietguy Shyandquietguy is offline
Mocker
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 02:33 AM       
Thrash0, how is it possible that you can make even the most gimmicky game sound even more boring than it actually is? I've never played Dead Space 2 but I heard it's not very exciting and lays itself flat. Aside from not being able to afford anything above ten bucks.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

   


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 AM.


© 2008 I-Mockery.com
Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.