Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 01:27 AM        CPU question.
I'm upgrading from a 900 mhz AMD Duron to a 1ghz Athlon.

My question is, if a mobo doesn't support a certain fsb, will it meltdown or just not work? The Athlon is either 100 mhz fsb or 133 mhz fsb. My mobo can only handle processors with 100 mhz fsb.

If it won't meltdown, I'll buy it and just wing it. If it doesn't work, well, I'm only out $9.99.

BTW, to anyone wondering, it's for a DVR project. I'd like the extra L2 cache to maybe play some UT on my Sony Bravia.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 01:55 AM       
i can't see a reason why it would meltdown, if the athlon can run at 100mhz it's not gonna cause problems
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 01:58 AM       
It's either, not both. The ebay auction doesn't specify the front-side bus.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 03:26 AM       
well if it's a original athlon it's locked at 100mhz fsb
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 05:16 AM       
It will just run at 100Mhz FSB and down clock the CPU's speed accordingly ( ~100Mhz depending on what the multiplier is set at).

But to be honest you could just pick up a nicer board with the CPU for extremely cheaply and not worry about the FSB limitations. How much does it cost to send stuff to the US? I could send you a DFI LanParty Socket A board for free if you'd pay P&P.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 07:29 AM       
I'd thank ye very much. Paypal okay?

Last edited by Fathom Zero : Mar 27th, 2008 at 05:37 PM.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 08:07 AM       
Yeah when I get back to England I'll look into it and send you a PM.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM       
About that mobo...
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 02:54 PM       
Sorry I completely forgot about this thread.

I'll have to weigh the package before I can tell you how much it'll cost to send. You might find that what with the weakness of the dollar it may be cheaper to find a similar motherboard on the US ebay.

My guess is ~$20 airmail (~5 day delivery) ~$12 surface mail (up to 6 weeks).

I'll take some pictures in the next few days and confirm the model.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 04:25 PM       
Groovay. I'd be perfectly willing to spend my weak dollars with you.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 03:27 PM       
Fathom I have some good news.

I should actually be able to post this off for free, so if you PM me your name/address (exactly what I should print on the package ideally) I will try and sort it out this weekend and you should receive it within a week or so. I've also got a a Barton core Athlon 2500+ which I think I may have killed but you might be able to get it working so I''ll throw that in the package too.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 02:25 PM       
To confirm; it's a DFI Lanparty NF2 Ultra B

Should be compatible with all of your other hardware if you have a socket A setup.

frappez le cochon rouge
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 08:17 PM       
Sent, and if there're any problems with postage, don't hesitate to teel me.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM       
Got the first parcel, the FrontX and accessory kit one.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:28 AM       
Heh, typical - the non-essential part always arrives first.

I would've posted it all in a single package but that would have cost around $110. By posting two separate parcels it worked out cheaply enough to be posted through a friend's company for free.

With any luck the other part will turn up within the next couple of days.

Oh - one thing. I forgot to put the back plate in the parcel (the metal part which surrounds the connectors on the back). You can just leave it off if you don't mind it looking a bit ugly at the back, otherwise you'll need to get creative with a Dremmel.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:56 AM       
I can do either. I don't mind ugliness, so long as it doesn't cause a short.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:28 PM       
The other package came. Can't thank you enough, man.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:26 AM       
No problem, hope you can get it working. If you have any problems give me a shout and I'll see if I can dig out the manual.