Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old May 26th, 2008, 03:06 PM        Computer Won't Start II: The High-Pitched Whine
So I wanted to clean up my old computer and give it to my brother, but now for some reason, it emits a continuous piercing beep whenever it's on and doesn't post. The MB has one of those LED debugging displays, but the code it's showing is listed in the manual as "reserved".

Anyone have any insight?

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 26th, 2008, 05:12 PM       
I had a computer that did the whine thing but would still start up. The whine was coming from the power supply.

Another thing you should check is whether it's any of the fans - put a finger in the middle of each of them to stop them.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 26th, 2008, 05:14 PM       
This post confuses me. I understand this part, "but now for some reason, it emits a continuous piercing beep whenever it's on" but I don't understand the "doesn't post" part. Does that mean that it won't count down the ram and run through the bios?
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old May 26th, 2008, 05:15 PM       
If the high pitched noise is coming out of the motherboard speaker, it's probably trying to tell you there is a memory problem or something.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old May 26th, 2008, 07:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
This post confuses me. I understand this part, "but now for some reason, it emits a continuous piercing beep whenever it's on" but I don't understand the "doesn't post" part. Does that mean that it won't count down the ram and run through the bios?
Yeah. When it's on, it does nothing but run the fans and make that noise.

☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:00 PM       
That sounds like bad RAM to me. Try replacing the memory with known working ones. I bet itwill work.
Funky Dynamite
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:07 PM       
I replaced the old RAM with some new RAM, but no luck. It does show a different code on the LED debugging display, but it's a code for "Detect Memory" according to the manual.

Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:58 PM       
If the older memory is rated at a different speed or latency that that which was replaced you may need to reset your BIOS (either though a jumper or by removing the battery) before it is detected.
Funky Dynamite
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:47 PM       
Resetting the BIOS didn't seem to help. And yes, I did remember to switch the jumper back after resetting.

☆☆☆☆☆
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:01 PM       
The ram is too good probably.
Or in the wrong order...

I may be very wrong though.
Funky Dynamite
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 03:08 AM       
Hell if I know. I decided to shoot an email to the company that made my mobo and ask them what their damn codes mean.

Archduke Tips is probably a spambot
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:19 PM       
What exactly did you do to clean it up? It would be easier to diagnose the problem if you could talk about what you did before the problem occurred.

I would start by pulling one RAM module at a time to see if one of them is bad. I would do this with the old RAM and leave out the new RAM, that way you can eliminate any problems with incompatible RAM.
Funky Dynamite
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM       
Eventually the problem took care of itself. Clean/swapping parts didn't do anything, but when I pulled out the GPU, it still wouldn't start, but it wouldn't make the noise either. Putting a new one in didn't help, but then when I replaced the old one, it worked fine. Which is odd because I had removed and replaced the card several times before then.

But whatever. That's computers for you.