Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 08:49 PM        My fitness game
Sup guise

I'm making a fitness/racing game where you pedal a bike and race against people. It's very early in dev right now, but do you all have any comments on the presentation, or ideas for ways to make it more interesting?

taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 10:52 PM       
is this a kinect game? right now the only thing i can say about it is that customization i always welcome maybe a track editor or maybe editing bikes

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 10:52 PM       
Yes. Get rid of the fitness aspect and add combat, so you can attack other cyclists with chains and clubs and such. Also, change the bicycles to motorcycles. VROOM VROOM!

That was very funny. Well done.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 11:14 PM       
i don't see why attacking someone violently is not an exercise

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 11:29 PM       
Road Rash mode would be an amazing triumph in fitness gaming.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 01:46 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
Road Rash mode would be an amazing triumph in fitness gaming.

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 10:44 AM       
i dont get it so in the game you're trying to lose weight or this has some kin dof real life weightloss implications

cause the first ones really gay unless you make characters start off really fat on their bikes and everyone else goes faster than them also if thats the case you should throw in a few jump ropeminigames where the fat person can only do like one or two before they get too tired to jump anymore.
basically it'd be likea tomigachi but with a fat dude/chick
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM       
I think it supposed to be a regular racing game. The fitness part comes in with something like the kinect or maybe as simple as one of those pads you stand on. You running in place is what moves your character. Or at least thats the impression I got.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 10:48 AM       
i got the impression that it wasa simple xbox game with no kinnect or running pads and the "exercise" isall some shit occurring inside of the game. but youre prolly right thats prolly what those boxes in the lower right corner are

actually its not so much an impression as an assumption

PUT HAMBURGERS ON THE TRACK THAT MAE YOU GO SLOWER AND STRAWBERRIES AND WEIGHTS THAT MAKE YOU GO FASTER
OR MAKE IT SO THAT IF YOU GET HAMBURGERS YOU GO FAST FOR A LITTLE BIT BUT EVENTUALLY IT DRAINS YOUR SPEED UT F YOU EAT STRAWBERRIES YOU WONT GET AS BIG AS AN IMMEDIATE BOOST BUT YOULL BUILD A STRAWBERRY GAUGE THAT WILL LET YOU POWERUP
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:26 PM       
and when you get enough strawberries you instantly turn thinner or more muscular like in altered beast.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:35 PM       
The fitness aspect is that the player sits on an exercise bike to play it. They pedal the bike and steer to control the bike in the game.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:50 PM       
When you beat someone in a race you should have your character collect their scalp, and the game calls them fat losers incapable of success.

Is that Kaneda's bike?
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 04:45 PM       
My old gym installed a similar program once. Ride on a trail, race AI, place in rankings. As gay as it was, it still LOOKED fun as hell. It wasn't, it was dull and annoying. Honestly, yours looks better as it is right now (just for ramps alone), if it lets you race against other players.

Still, the biggest problem I had with the program I used was that there wasn't any sense of speed whatsoever. The whole time I was thinking THIS IS FUCKING RETARDED, WHY AM I NOT ON A REAL BIKE. So I went out and bought a bike later, then never used the machines again.

I think you're on the right track by making it an actual game instead of some lazy simulator bullshit, but you're still competing with actually going out for a real bike ride with real speed and real wind in your face. I'd definitely think about a track editor, but mainly I'd focus on giving the player a satisfying sense of acceleration, letting him/her adjust the level of A.I opponents, and (if possible) linking multiple machines Hydro-Thunder style
was never good
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 08:28 PM       
The idea is for the game to let you race against people who are next to you, but also race against players in other gyms and arcades, similar to mario kart's online matchmaking.

I've been looking for a while and only the only similar programs I found were things like the Tour De France bike and some arcade drag racer, but none of the games let you steer and aside from the arcade game didn't even have virtual opponents, let alone real ones.

Do you remember what the game in your gym was called?
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 09:33 PM       
Not really. I only did it once, since was just a crappily rendered pile of shit and bought a real bike anyway. It was more like a simulator than a game... I rode this beachside track with a metric fuckton of AI Riders that rode at different speeds, and I could place in rankings. I can't remember if there were other "trails" or not, I think there were. It was around late 2009 or so... I remember it looking REALLY similar to this
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 10:43 PM       
I think a speedometer might also be a good idea.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 11:39 PM       
For the record, I would definitely play this game. When I was a fat teenager and lost 50 lbs over summer, a huge part of my exercising was the bike, but it was boring as hell sitting there for a couple of hours, so I'd just watch movies on my laptop. This would be much better than that.

BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 12:28 AM       
Is there a single-player aspect? Maybe a campaign mode with unlockables based on total mileage? And maybe your player's stats level up RPG-style based on mileage.

Single-player mode is extremely important. If your game is targeted for fat gamers then chances are good that said fat gamers have no friends.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
was never good
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 01:42 PM       
The target market is gyms/schools/arcades so there is no home version in the works atm. This is mostly because I think costs will be high enough that it prohibits home purchases but I might prove myself wrong because it's actually been pretty cheap to develop thus far. Right now my idea is to have a 1-5 minute 'warmup' period where you pedal around on your own while the game puts you in a queue for the next multiplayer match. The game would then fill out empty racers with bots.

The target demographic would be gym-goers so not really the same as gamers. I'm thinking age 20-40 men and women. The game is going to dynamically adjust the difficulty based on how "fit" it judges the player to be (though heart rate, weight, and pedal speed). The goal here is to make it as accessible as possible without making it non-interactive.
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 03:00 PM       
If the point is to race against other players, I would add some alternate routes, like an uphill shortcut. To gain advantage in the race, you'll have to peddle harder in the said shortcut, it being uphill and all. That would pretty much ruin the game for fat people, but who knows, maybe they'll just try harder next time.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 08:39 PM       
add a heart attack meter, like in excite bike.
was never good
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 01:22 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
add a heart attack meter, like in excite bike.
I actually have been planning to implement something like that. Instead of a speedometer, it shows the rate of your pedaling in a yellow/green/red zone, where red zone means it's pushing your heart rate above regular exercise levels. Doing that could activate a "nitro" or something a few times a race, and when not available would just warn you to slow down because you're not going any faster.
dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 03:44 PM       
lightcycle mode
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 02:02 AM       
As long as your register a 100 gamerscore point of killing yourself people will get it.
The Wolf
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 02:35 AM       
It took me a few reads of that sentence to get it.