Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
I have a football thread going from time to time.

But you're forgetting that this place is a buncha nerds.

BTW, the Big Show totally kicked Jericho's ass, Chojin. Did ya see it?
It's cool, Protoclown already told us sports geeks are geeks too

We could even discuss " wrastlin' " because it is "sports entertainment" :P
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
I like the gang/team idea as well. It would have to be watched closely of course, or as Chojin said, it could work out in the opposite direction as it was intended.
Yeah, I could see something like that turning into elitist cliques that would steer more people away from the forums rather than bring 'em in. It'd have to be handled carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a sports board added. Some of the best flames and smack I have ever seen come from sports discussion boards. There's something about sports (especially collegate sports) that brings out many peoples inner flaming troll (usually with entertaining results). Not sure how popular a sports board would be here though.
I've never done a sports forum because, I dunno, I-Mockery just doesn't seem like a big sports fan place. If enough people really want a forum to discuss that shit, I guess I could set one up at some point to see how it goes, but since our site draws in a lot of movie/comic/gaming geeks, I'm not sure how many of those people would want to talk about sports. Tell ya what, how about you start up an all-purpose thread called "THE SPORTS THREAD" in general blabber and see how that goes. If it does well enough and enough people are into it, maybe we'll set up a sports test forum for a while. Try the single thread first though...
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
I have a football thread going from time to time.

But you're forgetting that this place is a buncha nerds.
I enjoyed that football thread from way back but no one really did anything with it last season.

True, this place runs rampant with the nerd type but some of them have to give a shit about sports (I hope).
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:21 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery View Post
I'm not sure how many of those people would want to talk about sports. Tell ya what, how about you start up an all-purpose thread called "THE SPORTS THREAD" in general blabber and see how that goes. If it does well enough and enough people are into it, maybe we'll set up a sports test forum for a while. Try the single thread first though...
This is probably what we should have done with loveline and the comic forum.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:21 PM       
Quote:
Ok, so a couple of things here...

1) I think some of the older site vets from way back when are bored with the I-Mockery forums because it's a different kind of site in many ways. We used to be almost 100% scene mockery (making fun of whatever music scene you were into), and as a result, this drew in a LOT of complete idiots who didn't get the joke and it was fun as hell to verbally rip them apart in public. As time went on, I got really bored of making scene mockery sites and started expanding into different areas of mockery such as picking apart the stupid things in bad movies, making fun of video games and bad rom hacks, etc etc. While this has obviously generated WAAAAY more traffic for I-Mockery and given us a huge audience, it doesn't make as many complete fools come our way who are ready to get into a knife fight with anybody who says something bad about their scene. You'll be hard pressed to find people who will defend their shit so blindly (even on a humor site) as people who are big into their music and/or religious scenes.

2) I really don't think there's anything wrong with most of the new people who are registering on the site just so they can comment in the articles, weeklies and blog posts. I know the site is called "I-Mockery" 'n all, but there are some people who come here just to let the writers do the mocking and then they comment on it without the intention of getting into a flamewar with some of the other forum members. If there's not enough "mockery" in the comments of the site article threads for you, that's what the forums are for. However, if you feel inclined to "spice things up" in any given article discussion thread, by all means, feel free to do so... just be careful that you're not starting shit for the sake of starting shit and causing a thread to get completely derailed. These are permanent threads that are created for the sole intention of people discussing the article... not your issues with some other poster.

3) I'd be happy to bring back the Mock Wars once 'n a while, but as Chojin already stated, that forum went to shit long ago and I was all too happy to scrap it. Our big site redesign launch has really breathed a lot of new life into I-Mockery over the past few months and you're gonna continue to see some new faces. I have no problem with the forum members mocking each other, that kind of shit is to be expected on this site... just make sure you're not constantly trolling or stalking individual users from thread to thread. That's how discussions end up getting derailed.

4) If you guys have real suggestions for improving the forums, I'm happy to hear 'em. I don't post a lot in here these days because I'm extremely busy, but I still try to keep up with most of what's going on 'round these parts.

I forgot to mention that I've also made links to the forum more prominent on the homepage ever since the site redesign, so there are more people coming here. Plus, ALL I-Mockery contests are now exclusive to the forum - you have to have an I-Mockery account to participate.

One interesting thing about the contests I've noticed though: while a lot of people view them, I notice a lot of our forum regulars don't participate in the fun, which is too bad because they're some of the funniest people around here. It's a good way to have some fun on the site and it can also show some of those "newbs" that some of you think are unfunny how to make entries that are funny.

that is all............................................ for now.

DUN DUN DUN!
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTER MOCEKRY
but there are some people who come here just to let the writers do the mocking and then they comment on it without the intention of getting into a flamewar with some of the other forum members
obviously NOT talking about yxlaxx here
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:23 PM       
IM PLANNING ON PARTICIPATING INT HE TENTACLE CONTEST IF NOBODY STEALS MY IDEA
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:26 PM       
How about we get some more forum avatars? It's a small thing, but it's hard to tell these new guys apart when a good chunk of them are using that Urban Champion one.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:13 AM       
I'll just start being an asshole. Every forum needs a good VILLAIN.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:01 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
obviously NOT talking about yxlaxx here
Actually, I haven't followed that whole thing at all, but it's apparently the talk of the town.

Glad you're gonna enter the tentacle arm contest, Willie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Drink Drunk View Post
How about we get some more forum avatars? It's a small thing, but it's hard to tell these new guys apart when a good chunk of them are using that Urban Champion one.
I'm not sure how to do that, I'll have to ask if there's a way to do it. I figured most people would eventually change their avatar on their own but maybe I need to set the new user avatar to an image that says "YOU CAN TELL I'M NEW BECAUSE I HAVEN'T CHANGED THIS AVATAR YET :O" or something...
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:11 AM       
Quote:
Actually, I haven't followed that whole thing at all, but it's apparently the talk of the town.

Glad you're gonna enter the tentacle arm contest, Willie.

I'm not sure how to do that, I'll have to ask if there's a way to do it. I figured most people would eventually change their avatar on their own but maybe I need to set the new user avatar to an image that says "YOU CAN TELL I'M NEW BECAUSE I HAVEN'T CHANGED THIS AVATAR YET :O" or something...
How about "My comment is not valid because I'll never post again."
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 06:13 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
How about "My comment is not valid because I'll never post again."
That would be more used than the Urban Champion one

In all seriousness though, why should we bother with more avatars? Uploading a custom avatar is about as simple as it gets, really. If people are too stupid to figure out that much it they should be stuck with the "new user" one as though they have a big scarlet S on their forehead.
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 09:15 AM       
Delete the chatroom thread, and make Willie a moderator.

In all seriousness, the youtube poop and references of 4chan need to be dialed down. It's becoming the "Simpsons Quote" of the new decade. Maybe a few of us disgruntled old people would post again then.

Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 09:31 AM       
What's really missing these days are the regulars with bizarre problems that everyone could poke fun at ().

Mocking noobs is never that funny because no one knows anything about them and baseless insults are too easy and generally speaking, shit.
Official forum judge
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 09:42 AM       
We could have an ice cream social, and a thread for talking about feelings!
Official forum judge
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 09:43 AM       
Are you suggesting we bring back Lenor and Arrow X or something?
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 09:46 AM       
Well, not Lenor.... or ArrowX...

To be honest I don't want to bring anyone back. I want new people with new and unfortunate love lives to read about. :/
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 10:06 AM       
I wonder what Juttin is doing these days.

CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 10:07 AM       
Probably following in his dad's footsteps, I hope
kitatsdiuqil
liquidstatik is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:09 PM       
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:22 PM       
Football last season took a backseat to more personal issues, but rest assured, I will be following Mike Tomlin and the rest of the Steelers to victory next year.

Xydexx is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:50 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
What do furries have to do with this thread.
Just suggesting how you can avoid repeating the same mistakes others have made. If you're immune to constructive criticism and don't actually want to improve things that's fine too, but I'd think it would be a lot more difficult to come up with actual solutions to the problems your forums have when you're writing the solutions off as "serious business."
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:55 PM       
Having sex with fat people dressed as yogi bear is the solution to nothing, Xydexx.

Xydexx is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:56 PM       
Quote:
If you guys have real suggestions for improving the forums, I'm happy to hear 'em.
Yah. Good luck with that.
kitatsdiuqil
liquidstatik is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:04 PM       
dude shut up u dont even know wut ur talkin about