Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Kulturkampf Kulturkampf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi-do, Korea
Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:14 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn
Yes, i just told you. Programmed neurological responses. Just like how the response you just gave me was programmed by your experiences and, dare I say, "Knowledge". Did it come from nowhere? Did you pull it out of the asshole of God? No, it was deliberate and came from YOU.
I think that that is a lie.

Does our brain have reactions because it is programmed by DNA and environment, or do we have a soul?

Or is our DNA our soul? I think so, maybe. I do not know.

But science does nothing for me by itself, and whether or not science can explain a rationale behind something , I do not think that languge can even explain the profound depths of... things!

And science is communicated through language, and some things are so deep they defy language and ideas...


So I think that science is helpless to describe anything significant about us. It is just observation of the physical.

the most important things to me are in my mind and my thoughts, and there is no way that they can tell what I am thinking (and even if I tell them they have to depend on my opinion).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Spectre X Spectre X is offline
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dutchland
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:29 AM       
You're such a dweeb.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
everybody knows that pterodactyls hate the screech of a guitar :o
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Kulturkampf Kulturkampf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi-do, Korea
Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:25 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre X
You're such a dweeb.
Your insults make my skin burn and cold tears drip from my eyes.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Spectre X Spectre X is offline
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dutchland
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:48 AM       
Whatever, dweeb.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
everybody knows that pterodactyls hate the screech of a guitar :o
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Dr. Boogie Dr. Boogie is offline
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Help, I'm lost!
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:46 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulturkampf
So I think that science is helpless to describe anything significant about us. It is just observation of the physical.
And there is nothing significant about our physical bodies. Not the complexities of the circulatory system, not the way in which the body repairs itself, not the fact that there's over twenty feet of small intestine in the body, nothing significant at all.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
kahljorn kahljorn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NO
kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:12 PM       
"But science does nothing for me by itself, and whether or not science can explain a rationale behind something , I do not think that languge can even explain the profound depths of... things! "

Who cares, you said science can't explain feelings and it can..

"Does our brain have reactions because it is programmed by DNA and environment, or do we have a soul? "

Our brains have reactions because that is what they our designed to do for survival purposes.

"And science is communicated through language, and some things are so deep they defy language and ideas... "

Why do you keep trying to talk about them, then? Seems kind of pointless. The idea that something can be innately indescribable is ridiculous, the idea that it would be very dificult to describe it given the circumstance is a better statement.
__________________
NEVER
Reply With Quote
  #57  
pjalne pjalne is offline
Mocker
pjalne's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Norway
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:54 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The One and Only...
You know, Kulturkampf, you could just fucking box.
Am I the only one here who thinks this is way out of character?

Wait, I guess it's not.

Shit, I'm confused.
__________________
Encyclopedia Obscura
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Kulturkampf Kulturkampf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi-do, Korea
Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:12 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulturkampf
So I think that science is helpless to describe anything significant about us. It is just observation of the physical.
And there is nothing significant about our physical bodies. Not the complexities of the circulatory system, not the way in which the body repairs itself, not the fact that there's over twenty feet of small intestine in the body, nothing significant at all.
Of course it is significant, and of course there is meaning in it, but I think that the worth of things is determined by what we feel because without the inner feelings and thoughts that we have, things become empty very quickly. Exempt of real meaning and joy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
davinxtk davinxtk is offline
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Up.
davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:39 AM       
So, to recap your argument:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulturkampf
What matters is that I got into a fight and broke my nose and it made me feel masculine;
A) You're an idiot.
Quote:
what matters is that I met a girl and I fell in love;
B) You're a liar.
Quote:
what matters is that in the summer of 1996 I got a handjob in a bathroom
C) See B.
Quote:
in the summer of 2003 I entered the US Army
D) See A.

Additionally,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulturkampf
Who cares about how my nose was broken?
1) Literally nobody.
Quote:
Who cares what the dimensions of the girl I fell in lvoe with were?
2) You got a handjob from a fat chick.
Quote:
Who cares the size of the bathroom or the science behind sucking shit at basic combat training?
3) You're bad at your job, which the majority of the people present are rather literally paying you to do.


Oh oh oh, and if you feel like doing a request:

Quote:
There are carptements that exist within thought.
What the fuck is a carptement and when did you first discover it?



Quote:
I am invincible that way.
You sound like a sixth grader.
__________________
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
Reply With Quote
  #60  
VinceZeb VinceZeb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:32 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tenenbaum
Religion is nothing but irrational ignorance. It's depressing that we haven't yet moved beyond superstition into reason by this century.
Wow, all this religious history that has existed for tens of thousands of years and its positive influence on history has all been destroyed by one internet loser saying this quote. I'm sure the kids you serve at the local coffehouse/bookstore think you're a fucking messiah.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Dole Dole is offline
Mocker
Dole's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brighton & Motherfucking Hove
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:41 AM       
Vince, you are the best possible argument against the existence of a higher power.
__________________
I don't get it. I mean, why did they fuck with the formula? Where are the car songs? There's only one song about surfing and it's a downer!
Reply With Quote
  #62  
sspadowsky sspadowsky is offline
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Thrill World
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:43 AM       
Web Hosting by Netfirms | Free Domain Names by Netfirms


The website you have requested has been cancelled.
__________________
"If honesty is the best policy, then, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy. Second is not all that bad."
-George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #63  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:50 AM       
Sayin' what needs to be said.

oops!
Reply With Quote
  #64  
kahljorn kahljorn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NO
kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:02 PM       
" but I think that the worth of things is determined by what we feel because without the inner feelings and thoughts that we have, things become empty very quickly. Exempt of real meaning and joy."

What if we just had inner feelings and thoughts and no body!? WHAT KIND OF INTERESTING LIFE WOULD WE LIVE THEN, KULTERKAMP? OH WAIT WE WOULDN'T BE ALIVE AT ALL SO HOW WOULD YOU LOVE LIFE THEN YOU DUMB CUNT?
Your inner feelings and thoughts come as a result of your body. All this happiness happy happy joy joy bullshit you're talking about is a purely material feeling that comes as a result of your body. Why do you think real meaning comes from human emotion and human situations? Seems ridiculous considering you're investigating culturization, you should know that 90% of human situations are designed, especially the way they think and feel; if that's not the case, how could you ever take part in culturization anyway, the ability people have to emulate and adopt different belief patterns is the basis of culture. I guess you still haven't caught onto that fact despite me having posted it above.

I find it funny that you act like you understand taoist concepts and then post shit like this. Taoism is all about exposing dialectics, which is why you hear things like "Yin and Yang". "Good and bad" "Right and wrong" "Black and white" "Homosexual and stright". Taoists essentially feel that it is entirely unreal(?), and usually escape from human drama. I believe doing this is called Wu jao(thao?) or something, anyway, it translates down to "The way" and essentially involves removing yourself from human civilization according to the belief(this isn't exact) that not only can they not do anything, but if they did it would screw things up in the world and also they would postpone their own enlightenment due to playing part in the human drama.
The tao is ambigous, don't talk about any eastern culture like you understand it, you jackass.

It's funny that you try to act like feelings are so much more important than the material body. So horribly ironic. It's obvious you are just trying to appear as if you're the guy with the big heart, and it's ridiculous. Quit pretending, you're a jackass like everybody else.

nothing has real meaning or joy, my friend, everything is empty. That's why you could buy a gigantic vanilla ice cream cone and find yourself in bliss, while somebody who is lactose intolerant could find themselves quite sick(and ergo, not in bliss). You see, you attach your feelings to things you think you enjoy, it's not because the object has any innate joy associated with it, it's because YOU associated joy with it. Get it? This goes for people too, some people will like you, some people will hate you. It doesn't have anything to do with you innately, and everything to do with relativity.
__________________
NEVER
Reply With Quote
  #65  
mburbank mburbank is offline
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: right behind you
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:11 PM       
Vince you bastard! How dare you, HOW DARE YOU show your fce around here!?!

You break our collective E-heart and then you have the GALL to show up and make a post and vanish again!?

Go back to your submarine, homewrecker! There's a new sheriff in town and his name is KulturKampf. He's the kind of man you'll never be, and he's actually in the army, protecting our way of life, unlike you. He's all the man you pretnded to be, and none of us need you anymore.

Go away! GO AWAY OH GOD I PROMISED MYSELF I WASN'T GOING TO CRY!!!
Reply With Quote
  #66  
homoperfect homoperfect is offline
Member
homoperfect's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
homoperfect is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:58 PM       
If we were to live our lifes with emotional void I too think we would create a vast emptyness in our live. All the same, if we are to make logical attempts then we should know ourselves emough so that we understand our emotional Motives. When we take part in logic we are not voiding emotion completely, we are understanding our motives yet not letting them interfere with the fair and balanced process. If we were to let our emotions wreck havoc a civility would be lost. I can't tell you how many times I've had the urge to massacre others because of an uncouth comment or deed but It is my ability to rationalize with myself and put limits on my emotions that keeps me out of the gutter of life.
__________________
"Cogito ergo sum"
Reply With Quote
  #67  
kahljorn kahljorn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NO
kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 02:48 PM       
"If we were to live our lifes with emotional void I too think we would create a vast emptyness in our live."

I think this just shows how emotionally void we really are at core, that we need to attach meaning to various objects that have no innate meaning. What value do these attachments have? Usually they are worth no more than emotive response. They are purely symbols.
__________________
NEVER
Reply With Quote
  #68  
homoperfect homoperfect is offline
Member
homoperfect's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
homoperfect is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 09:42 PM       
I personally am afraid of hights. Naturally I have a negative reaction towards planes. Emotionally I have anxiety, fear, and nervousness. When my sister was married on the west coast, In order to get to the wedding and back so I could be to work. If I had acted soley on emotion I would not have flown yet I didn't. One might say that I acted with emotion towards my sister. Then you find out she isn't blood related and I hav rarely spoken with her let alone care for her. So why go? Mind you, I'm not talking of getting rid of your emotions. what I'm speaking of is knowing thy self. Knowing what emotions you have and how they drive you. then with this knowledge act on an reasonable level by allowing your self to see beyond your emotions. In a sense you're acting with something greater in mind. It's almost like reaching into a higher power.
__________________
"Cogito ergo sum"
Reply With Quote
  #69  
kahljorn kahljorn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NO
kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:56 PM       
..Yea, "knowing thyself" and understanding what motivates you is a good thing. This topic has been brought up in passing a couple of times lately, and it's nice to see different people and sciences and whathave you investing thought into objectivity. It's my personal belief that objectivity is one of the most basic skills required to function properly in this world, especially as far as science and even politics goes for obvious reasons.
What I don't understand is that the concept of objectivity has been around for a long time, and it has been used in problem solving situations and philosophical pondering throughout the years and you would would think that theoretically it would have leaked it's way into the general populace by now through education, but it hasn't. From my basic understanding of scientific principles one of the most important things is Objectivity. This is why they make careful note of their observations, to record their individual perception and perceived results of the experiment, while attempting to retain a journal of the experience.
Why isn't this taught in school(i know they teach the scientific method, but why isn't it emphacized that it's an incredibly useful tool in real life)? I'm under the belief that learning objectivity is one of the most fundamental skills to surviving in this world. It's common sense, it's one of those few things ANYBODY can figure out and understand just by looking at the outside world. I feel that all forms of "Common sense" should be taught in school at a young age, so that our minds are already tuned to think of reality in a realistic, productive manner. This plays into my healthy citizens talk. You can't hope to have healthy, productive citizens if they are incapable of thinking properly. If people are at least capable of thinking properly I think it would help the world alot, in every facet.

Again, the theory and practice of objectivity has been around for thousands of years, many philosophers and mystics have used it over the years for the propagation of their works. It has existed since buddhism, which can be plainly seen by looking at their 8 fold path. Every single "Fold" on the path represents an aspect of objectivity. In a similar sense, so does yoga, from what I've read of eternalism it's basically a form of objectivity, most more recent psychologists even stress the importance of objectivity(or multiple "Dimensions") with their patients.
Why aren't we taught this at the age of 8, along with every other basic mannerism of the universe? Why are we raised to be so self-important that we think our outlook of the universe cannot be questioned? Smug bastards.
__________________
NEVER
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

   


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.


© 2008 I-Mockery.com
Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.