Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 01:37 PM       
omg lol i thought up a recent thing while looking through the newspaper.

What about the E. Coli Outbreak? I mean come on guys they took all that lettuce out of commission, and taco bell has now stopped serving green onions in their food can you believe that shit? Personally i think we should have the choice to eat e. coli and get a disease (along with everybody else) rather than have them you know stop putting things with e. coli in them such as green onions in taco bell food.

I think the green onions really make the taco bell food, and the flavor will suck without it. This really blows guys.

I don't think this is even an issue of what we can or can't eat, but moreover what restaurants can and can't (basically) force us to eat. I don't see the big deal. Restaurants should be held to some quality standard, they shouldn't be paid to feed us shit.

"Water is also municipally supplied and an indgredient in everything. There is no substitute for it and it is vital to our survival. "
I don't see how that makes a difference it's not as if food isn't vital for our survival.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 01:43 PM       
E. coli ins't just unhealthy for you. It freakin kills you.

And there are foods that don't have transfat. They can be made and you or I can choose to patronize those establishments with the government acting like my mother. Its not like all of those places get their food from one source. Most watewr your drink (even the bottled stuff) is from municipal sources (ie tap water)
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 01:49 PM       
unhealthy things usually end up killing you such as heart attacks.

the point is complaining about something that won't even effect you (except by making your health better) because you're afraid the taste of your big mac would suck or because you really like eatting bars of crisco.

"They can be made and you or I can choose to patronize those establishments with the government acting like my mother."

You know I would probably agree with that point if it wasn't for the fact that food wasn't even labeled as having transfats until recently (how are you going to choose in that situation). Also I'd probably ag ree with you if 99% of the people in the world even knew what transfats were.

i mean that's the real point there's no need for transfats to even be in food at all absolutely none, and it's detrimental to our health. That doesn't balance out very well. NO POINT TO BEING IN FOOD AND FUCKS UP MY HELATH.

THEY ARENT TAKING AWAY YOUR RIGHT TO EAT AT MCDONALDS OR TAKING AWAY YOUR RIGHT TO CHOOSE TO EAT AT MCDONALDS ALL THEY ARE DOING IS TAKING AWAY MCDONALDS RIGHT TO PUT A BUNCH OF SHIT IN THEIR FOOD THE END.
if you guys are going to argue and complain about rights being taken away at least understand who's rights are really being taken away.

PS El Blanco I was talking about them taking out Green Onions because they were afraid it would kill people sort of like them taking transfat out of hamburgers because they are afraid it would kill them. Please show me how they are different. I know you want to say BECAUSE IT KILLS THEM but basically all you're saying is that the only consequences you understand/care about are the immediate ones.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 02:26 PM       
So, superspecial trans fats can't be sold in food because they're just plain unhealthy...

I presume, then, that all that regular fatty shit is A-OK.
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 02:32 PM       
I can't believe people are actually worked up about this. I'm sure the vast majority of people won't be able to tell the difference. It's a popular move among New Yorkers, and the economic consequences will be minimal. People will go out to eat, just as people continue to go to bars even after the smoking ban. In fact, I'd wager that the restaurant industry will do BETTER as more people go out to eat, with the perception that the food is healthier.

Comparing this to an assault on civil liberties is just silly. This "choosing what you want to eat" stuff is restaurant industry PR nonsense.

Moreover, the long term effects cannot be underestimated. There is a definite link between trans fats and heart disease. People will live longer, healthier lives, and health care savings will be significant.

This is an excellent move by NYC and I hope the rest of the country follows suit.
RectalWart is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 02:56 PM       
It's not about the actual trans-fats anymore. It's about the gradual leaching away of our rights to make our own decisions. The loss of personal freedoms is what made the settlers leave Europe in the first place. Unfortuantely, in the words of The Eagles "There are no more new frontiers." We can't go and colonize a new country to get away from all of these rules, so fighting back is our only alternative. Keep letting them get away with these "inconsequential" rules, and pretty soon we'll all be wearing uniforms and eating food bars with no actual flavor. No more individuality. Sieg Heil!
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 03:04 PM       

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 03:12 PM       
Anti-transfattites remind me of the people who try to convince you that deoderants and cell phones cause cancer.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 03:22 PM       
Except that trans fats have been shown to be dangerous, while deodorants and cell phones have not.

RectalWart, did you not read a single post in this thread? The liberty issue has been brought up already. I think we can safely assume that nobody except fat honking numbnuts want to eat trans fats. I would agree with the liberty issue except that trans fats fall in the same category as lead in drinking water. They're dangerous, unhealthy, and are most of all unnecessary.
BANNED

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM       
In 50 years we'll be looking back going, "WHY'D WE LET THEM TAKE AWAY OUR LAST REMAINING RIGHT OF EATTING TRANSFAT"?

you guys are seriously retarded if you think the choice to eat transfat is some huge civil liberty. Grow up and vote or something you idiots. It's not even like they took away your right to get fat, they just took away the restaurants right to put transfat into their food.
Like MILLIONS OF OTHER HEALTH CODES IN THE WORLD. WHAT WE DONT HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE COCKROACHES AND RATS IN THE KITCHEN OF THE RESTAURANT WHAT KIND OF FUCKING ATROCITY IS THIS!
Are we to assume every health code, enviromental ordinances, minimum wage and just about everything else the government does is going to take away our civil rights and lead us to nazi germany?

"I presume, then, that all that regular fatty shit is A-OK."

Regular fat is needed by the body to function, in fact if you don't eat enough (healthy) fats you can die. Transfat as we know it today is mostly a creation of humans and not needed by the body at all. I'm pretty sure fats are what helps lubricate our bodies along with alot of other things... also although they are fatty the body can digest them easily depending on how they are cooked. Many fats are actually very good for you and can alleviate many diseases.

I'd seriously like one of you to make one decent point about how eatting transfat is one of our civil liberties beyond saying something stupid like, "PART OF FREEDOM IS BEING ABLE TO MAKE BAD CHOICES". It's not like they are going to arrest you for eatting transfats.

Quote:
The loss of personal freedoms is what made the settlers leave Europe in the first place.
Yea loses of personal freedoms (lol, were there even such things as "Personal freedoms" before america?) caused america to be created. Man those pilgrims were sure pissed off about not having enough transfat and shit in their food to go around. Plus I heard they were pretty pissed that the government was taking away their right to have the plague. Thank god we have the gift of aids now, the government can never take that away from us am I right.
I thought they came to america because they were being religously oppressed. OOPS! Transfat and religous oppression: Those are the same things, I forgot.

Quote:
This "choosing what you want to eat" stuff is restaurant industry PR nonsense.
STRAIGHT UP! I bet mcdonalds will have some new Freedom Fry containing 20 grams of transfat to show how free and american we are, FOR THOSE WHO CHOOSE THEIR OWN LIFE NEVAH 4gET transfat 2006.

Seriously if you guys think transfat in your food is some huge important life "choice" that's very important that you have the ability to make otherwise your rights are infringed upon than you guys are losers and i hate you. Also it shows how pathetic you are that "important choices" and "Personal freedoms" to you equate to being able to "choose" eatting transfatty food. What a fucking rebel you are, move over Johnny Yuma.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 05:09 PM       
I get what you are saying Kahj but isn't it a little distorted to equate the removal of E coli. bacteria with the removal of trans fats from NYC restuarants.
BANNED

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 05:24 PM       
isn't it a bit distorted to equate the banning of transfats with the loss of civil rights?

it is a bit ridiculous though, I was purposely using a ridiculous example. I always use exagerated examples ;/

anyway it's not that they removed e. coli Ant it's that they removed Green Onions because they were afraid people might get E. Coli from it. Now I think there was only like 50 people worldwide who suffered from E. Coli outbreaks due to these green onions, and yet they've completely banned it. I mean it's pretty possible that most people who eat green onions at taco bell won't die, but they're still removing it to be "Safe".
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 05:24 PM       
I went shopping with the wife today and most things had 0.1g to 0.2 of Trans fat I would think that they are legislating against misuse of this, not common place food items.
Mocker
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 05:34 PM       
Just for the future using ridiculous and exaggerated examples really doesn't help convince or educate anyone except people who are easily swayed to someone else's opinion.

I'd agree it is distorted to equate the removal of trans fat with the loss fo civil liberities.

I didn't know you were referring to the nationwide e coli break out anyways(my bad). Long Island, NY where I live just had one this past week from taco bell. They didn't do anything as retarded as not serving all lettuce in taco bells on LI. And was this ban on green onions imposed by the government or did Taco bell do this itself? In the current incident, they located where it came from and what other facilities came in contact with it and closed them down. Taco bells not affected are still open and everything you can normally get is being served. I think it is a safe idea to avoid Taco Bell unless you want an increased chance of e. coli.

I just think your use of exaggerated examples such as cyanide and e coli seemed like a desperate attempt to make your point. And on the record, you seem to be the most riled up by this piece of news. Even thou you are for it you seem like you are ready to kill some innocent civilians to make the pooint that trans fats are deadly. YAY i used my own exaggerated example.
BANNED

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 06:10 PM       
i use exageratted examples when I'm making fun of people's stupid positions. It's a form of sarcasm. Sometimes I also can't think of a better example and I think it shows the same thing, like in this case, "ZOMG IF THEY DONT REMOVE THIS STUFF WE CAN GET SICK" which is exactly the same thing.
E. Coli in food makes us sick so they removed it. Transfat in food makes us sick so they removed it. The only difference is that transfat has long term effects whereas E. Coli is immediate. I find only assholes would find a semantical issue with that, as they both effect the health. I mean we don't put asbestos in buildings because they cause long term effects eithers. i think people who ignore the long term effects of things are kind of like children in a way, especially if they follow it by saying something like "SO WHAT I WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT FOR LIKE FIFTY YEARS OR SOMETHING" or "DUDE THATS NOT GONNA HAPPEN TO ME AND ANYBODY IT DOES HAPPEN TO DESERVES IT".
There's tons of examples it's just hard to find one that's exactly the same as banning transfats in new york city that jerkfaces on the internet would find acceptable. I know there's plenty of points that could be made I just can't think up the history of items that have been banned from foods and waters for dishealth purposes.

Emu thought up a good one and somebody said it was a bad example because water goes to everyone and they don't have a choice. lol

also the point I was trying to make with cyanide wasn't that it's the same thing but the other aspect of this situation in which people think doing the opposite of what the government tells them to do makes them "Free" and "Rebelious" and is showing that they still have liberty. Kind of like jumping off a bridge if nobody else is or something I guess. In context my exaggeration always makes sense.
also explain to me how banning transfats in food for health purposes is any different than any other health code ever invented and I'll start to think my exaggeration was really out of place and even irrelevant!

ps i wasn't trying to sway anyone's opinion or even educate anyone. except with my honey example at the very begining
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 06:25 PM       
How can this be perceived as anything but increasing liberty under the current health care regime??

The FDA's website contains an estimate that a nationwide reformulation of cooking oils would cost the food industry 1 billion while providing a 60 billion savings in health care expenses.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 06:30 PM       
Well, that isn't "liberty," but I get your point.

I'll admit that federal healthcare would equal federal coddling, but it wouldn't be inconsistent of anyone to oppose both (even those it's already our biggest federal expense).
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 06:44 PM       
Quote:
while providing a 60 billion savings in health care expenses.
explain this to me please
BANNED

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 06:44 PM       
when people don't have to have triple bypass surgery they will save money.

stuff like that is the practical foundation of most "preventative" healthcare.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 07:07 PM       
can you explain "healthcare" I'm Canadian and rarely see woman that look like thier anus swallowed thier electric scooter.
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 07:08 PM       
i think this is a good thing. whoever compared this to cigarettes isn't very smart, everyone KNOWS cigarettes will kill you but not everyone knows that certain foods you eat are gona give you a massive heart attack down the line.

i am all for it. i don't even know anything about transfat but all i know is that when i get a snack that says 0g trans fat on it I feel very proud of myself :o they should ban soda at resturants too you should only be able to buy canned/bottled sodas at grocery stores ect
BANNED

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 07:18 PM       
"can you explain "healthcare" I'm Canadian and rarely see woman that look like thier anus swallowed there electric scooter."

I think your explaination with quotes implying sarcasm pretty much did the trick.

Healthcare by american terms means you can goto the doctor and he'll give you pills or check your temperature or reccomend a surgery to you and you'll either get it free or get it at discount if you have american health insurance(otherwise you pay out the ass and that scooter won't fetch much if you know what i mean). However they rarily give you tips on how to stay healthy until well after you have a disease and you're no longer healthy, then they tell you to stop eatting red meat, stop drinking alcohol and have a glass of red wine at dinner before you take your pill. All of this is after you have a disease or condition and is really just to avoid aggravating it. This isn't all doctors but it is alot of them ;/
It's mostly just because there's no emphasis on staying healthy but rather an emphasis on treating diseases and conditions, which american medicine is very good at.
Guys once you have a disease for the most part you can't get rid of it :O

Preventitive healthcare, ideally, is basically teaching people at a young age how to be healthy so they never have to goto a doctor.

Also Kevin posted something relevant to the american health care system:
"The reason the FDA can't outright ban trans fats is because corporations would go nuts."

The pharmacutical industry is huge in america and preventative healthcare would really fuck with it so i hate to say they want people to be unhealthy because I'm sure somebody would have something to say about that but it's certainly in their best interests.
Mocker
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 07:31 PM       
I actually found out Taco Bell was the one that took out their green onions or peppers or whatever. Not the government.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM       
Quote:
"The reason the FDA can't outright ban trans fats is because corporations would go nuts."
Similar to the American Automotive companies that think the American people owe them something for their prosperity. Franchise Food feeding systems that need to be fed because it makes a small town prosperous, Sad.
Archduke Tips is probably a spambot
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 08:00 PM       
Here is my argument:
trans fats are for transexuals.